Nov 26, 2019, 06:39 PM
Jer. 29:11
Thread OP
Good luck!
to remove ads between posts
Nov 27, 2019, 05:39 PM

Jeff's A-26 To Electric Commander Comparison

Friday looks solidly like the next flying day. The extra c.f. reinforcement strips for the fuse only brought the weight up another ounce, to 26 oz. flying weight. My Electric Commander is just a wee bit smaller (40" w. s.), and its flying weight was 24 oz. The Nick Ziroli designed/House of Balsa kitted Electric Commander is still my favorite fast-n-easy balsa twin plane (which is no longer available, except through me, in a limited way, of course, because even though it has no plan, I scanned in the laser-cut sheets). Jeff's A-26 is my new favorite fast-n-easy foam twin plane.
Nov 27, 2019, 06:39 PM
Thread OP
Nice to see this kit in such good company!
Nov 27, 2019, 11:21 PM
flyin' fool
Nov 29, 2019, 06:00 PM

Re-Maiden

Today I finally had a good chance to evaluate the performance of this plane. It only took a couple of laps to realize this plane was going to take more to tweak into flying even half-way decent than I was willing to make the effort to do. Then it was about a foot off the ground, going slow, when it snap-rolled down. The plane literally exploded when it hit. I purposely built it perfectly straight, so I could more honestly evaluate the things that I didn't know about it, such as the Model Plane Foam, and the KFm airfoil. The Model Plane Foam is much too fragile for my liking, and I also have no confidence in the KFm airfoil. You can see from the picture that the plane can be easily rebuilt, but I've got three balsa wood twins to get up and running, two of which I've proven to be outstanding flyers. Jeff, I highly recommend that you get a video of yours flying, so you can exonerate your design, and prove to everyone that it's my flying skills, rather than your plane, that's bad.
Nov 29, 2019, 07:38 PM
Thread OP
Sorry to hear of your troubles, especially after your careful attention to detail!
Nov 30, 2019, 01:32 AM
flyin' fool
In my experience with the KF family of foils, they never are the problem.

Twins can suffer all kinds of weird quirks if not set up properly. Like not having the two different individual thrust angles usually recommended for the motors, which can result in a snap roll, as can being tail heavy, statically not balanced, too much elevator, a warped wing, etc., etc. ……………...
Nov 30, 2019, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy

Twins can suffer all kinds of weird quirks if not set up properly. Like not having the two different individual thrust angles usually recommended for the motors, which can result in a snap roll, as can being tail heavy, statically not balanced, too much elevator, a warped wing, etc., etc. ...
Goldguy, I designed and built a 36" w. s., precision scale 1958 Cessna 310b (balsa wood), and from drawing board to flight, no trim was necessary. It flew better than any other plane I had flown up to that point. I'm not an engineer, but my motto is "Think Square." Twins suffering all kinds of weird quirks if not set up properly just sounds like sloppy building to me. But you, goldguy, can do Jeff a big favor by jumping in here, building his kit, and posting your results in this thread. Let's see your experience in action, including a video of a well-behaved plane.
Nov 30, 2019, 03:11 PM
flyin' fool
Sloppy building?? So that's what caused your crash.
Nov 30, 2019, 04:21 PM
Quote:
Sloppy building?? So that's what caused your crash.
Oh, I get it. The guy with 12,000 posts is going to condescend to and prey on the guy with 500 posts, which to the dumb extroverts is some kind of measure of expertise. How many of those posts were of your smiley face eating popcorn? Such wise contributions! But your sidestepping my challenge is the real communication here. Get real, or go away.
Nov 30, 2019, 05:22 PM
flyin' fool
I was just trying to help with my post regarding problems you can encounter with twins. Your the one who digressed into making it something else.

Yes, I will go away as your nasty attitude is ………… well, just that …………… nasty.
Nov 30, 2019, 06:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:

Twins can suffer all kinds of weird quirks if not set up properly. Like not having the two different individual thrust angles usually recommended for the motors, which can result in a snap roll, as can being tail heavy, statically not balanced, too much elevator, a warped wing, etc., etc. ...
Can you explain a bit more about "different individual thrust angles" for the motors on a twin? (Sounds interesting.)

The only unusual thing I current do when setting up a twin is try to program the two ESCs as closely as possible, ideally with a programming card, and be sure to set calibrate the throttle for them both. (That and being very careful not to hit the LVC!)
Dec 01, 2019, 12:51 PM
[QUOTE=jeffsch;43278333]Can you explain a bit more about "different individual thrust angles" for the motors on a twin? (Sounds interesting.)

Jeff, below is a screen shot of an RCM plan for a 46" Ju-88. The designer used "different individual thrust angles" because at that time they didn't have electric motors with counter-rotating props. In the event that one of the glow motors died, the other one was set up at such a side-thrust angle that the plane would be less likely to snap roll. But that wasn't a universally accepted design technique for twins. I've seen a lot of plans for twins, and this plan is the only one that I can recall being set up like that. I would like to say that with the advent of electric motors, the likelihood of an engine-out is all but gone. However, my Electric Commander bit the dust exactly because of an engine out, due to a failure in the electronics that I was never able to pinpoint.

I'll be repairing and covering the A-26, and trying again for a video. DKChris did mention that the covering does add strength to the airframe, which is undeniable. It wouldn't be fair for me to not give this plane that much of a shot.
Dec 02, 2019, 10:36 PM

Major Repair Started and Head Camera Mount

As you can see from the picture in post #110 on this page, my plane is in need of major repair. But I already have a start on that today (pic 1), with the repair of my motors and nacelle fronts, and the starboard back wing brace. And I used good ol' hot melt glue for all of this. The big breaks will require 30-minute epoxy, which I'll get at tomorrow.

Part of the reason for my tackling this project was to get a new version of a video system up and running. Post #105 on page 7 shows my tentative new configuration of my old hat cam. The reason for the front and back sight frames is so that you don't have to fiddle with adjusting the hat cam, as is normally done. You just watch your plane through the sight frames, and that automatically lines up the camera.

But today, I saw this (pic 2) on the internet, and it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to line up my camera with it. It would still take practice runs to get it lined up right, but maybe won't be a major pain. However, in the long run, I could upgrade it to a camera with wi-fi capabilities (pic 3), so I could use it with a smart phone as a monitor (which would be attached to my transmitter). This would do the same thing as my sights to line up the camera instantly, but with a lot less cumbersome hardware.
Dec 06, 2019, 04:28 PM

Major Repair Done

I checked out the electronics, and everything looks like a go. The pushrods for the tail are temporarily off, so that I can do my covering. Callie's graphics should be here today or tomorrow.

Quick Reply