Nov 19, 2019, 02:07 PM
Foamy and Glider fanatic

thought you would all like this

This popped up on my YouTube feed. Since it as related to this thread I thought I'd share it here

The ONLY Flying A-26A Counter Invader in the world!! (currently being restored) (8 min 54 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 19, 2019, 07:23 PM
Jer. 29:11
Thread OP
Very cool. Thanks for posting.

(Looks like they decided to fly it before they painted it. :-)
Nov 20, 2019, 02:43 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Jeffsch:

Great vid!

Looks like they did get around to "dolling it up" - looks great:
Sole Survivor - B-26K/A-26A Special Kay (4 min 29 sec)
Last edited by DKChris; Nov 20, 2019 at 02:48 AM.
Nov 21, 2019, 06:09 PM

Maiden Today--Good And Bad News

First the bad news. I broke the nose of my fuselage sideways just in front of the wing on a not-so-pretty first landing. So that ended the flying for today. The good news is that it's reparable (see pic 5). I had my camera all set up to do video, but I was going to wait until after the first or second flight, just so I could get a good feel for how it behaved. What I did learn from the first flight is that this plane is ridiculously easy to hand launch. It also glides well, even at my 25 oz. AUW. I would have landed it better had I not been standing at the end of the field instead of at the pilot's stand. It's my custom to maiden my planes at the end of the field where the tall grass is, in case they decide to go down instead of up.
Nov 21, 2019, 07:42 PM
Thread OP
Congratulations! Looking forward to seeing the fuse repaired and your Invader in the air again.

Nice tip about the pushrod tube.

What type of tape is the yellow hinge tape?
Nov 21, 2019, 07:49 PM
Thanks, Jeff! Tomorrow's weather will be just as outstanding as today's; however, I'm pooped, so I'm not going to rush the repair. I just looked at Redmond's forecast, and next Thursday looks promising. That yellow tape is the beginning of my Econokote yellow and black covering!
Nov 22, 2019, 04:15 PM

Nose Repair

I was able to successfully separate the nose from the rest of the plane without further damage outside the crack line, and the first thing I noticed was how the bottom of the upper half of the glue joint between the inner pink foam nose piece and the back piece was without proper glue adhesion. I used foam-safe thick CA and kicker to initially glue those pieces together. In retrospect, I now see that I should have used 30 minute epoxy instead, to take advantage of its better gap-filling feature. I wondered why my landing, which would have been sufficiently safe for another plane, broke my nose on this one. Now I know that it was because of this inevitable but preventable weak spot.
Nov 22, 2019, 08:34 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the analysis!

Would it remedy the problem if the fuselage monoblock had more area at the joint between the nose and back halves (and the aft hatch were that much smaller)? (See attached.)

As a rework for already-built models, would it help to embed short lengths of carbon strip to join the two halves of the monoblock?
Nov 22, 2019, 11:12 PM
Jeff, I like your second idea best. I'm going to add a length of the heavier C. F. strip from the aft of the wing to the front of the nose in the middle of the port fuse side tomorrow. That'll go a long way to strengthening up the nose. I may end up putting one or two shorter strips on the starboard side for added insurance, but as you know, that side has very limited space for embedding carbon fiber. I did a good job with the repair today, and I can't wait to get back at it tomorrow, after the 30 minute epoxy fully cures.
Nov 23, 2019, 03:52 PM

Tool For Embedding Carbon Fiber Strips

The width of my larger C. F. strip is 3/64" shorter than the thickness of the M. P. F. That's good, because as long as I can cut a groove accurately into the mpf, I won't go all the way through the fuse side and risk having it become wobbly and uneven, or dripping epoxy onto my electronics. So I made a tool to get the job done the way I wanted it (see pix).
Last edited by Jay B. Scott; Nov 23, 2019 at 04:01 PM.
Nov 24, 2019, 08:48 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
Foam is brittle, even if the block is fairly thick.
But if the general intent for all planes is that they will get covered with covering foil or even just packing tape, this will add quite a lot of strength against snapping; Buckling in a nose-in, on the other hand......not so much. The carbon strips will help a lot with this.

FWIW:
I know this adds a little bit more weight, but i've had quite a lot of success using square bamboo chop sticks as strengthening braces where the foam is thin, as an alternative to expensive carbon. The ones i usually can get are about 4.5mm by 6mm, so they fit perfectly as inlays in both 6mm depron and DTBF. A tool like Jay's would work nicely for this as well, naturally modified to fit the insertion width of the chopstick.
Last edited by DKChris; Nov 24, 2019 at 09:02 AM.
Nov 24, 2019, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKChris
FWIW:
I know this adds a little bit more weight, but i've had quite a lot of success using square bamboo chop sticks as strengthening braces where the foam is thin, as an alternative to expensive carbon. The ones i usually can get are about 4.5mm by 6mm, so they fit perfectly as inlays in both 6mm depron and DTBF. A tool like Jay's would work nicely for this as well, naturally modified to fit the insertion width of the chopstick.
Yes, DKChris, carbon fiber is expensive! I've got both bamboo chop sticks and skewers. Bamboo is light, tough, and not brittle. and would make excellent reinforcement for foam. Your input is always appreciated, my friend!
Nov 24, 2019, 04:41 PM

Nose Repair Cont.

I'm doing the starboard fuse bottom reinforcement today. Another 30-minute epoxy job requiring all-night curing. Then I'll do the last of the nose reinforcement to the starboard fuse top.
Nov 25, 2019, 05:26 PM

Repair Conclusion

This wraps up the nose reinforcement. Once again, 30-minute epoxy, and cure overnight. The next flight weather looks good for Friday through Monday, so far. Weather changes every day, so I have to keep looking on a daily basis.
Nov 26, 2019, 05:31 PM

Hat Cam

This is a work in progress, borrowing my sight frames from my first one I did a few years ago. The reason for working on its second incarnation now is because when I was looking at the field through the camera on the day of my maiden, what I saw was disappointingly small. I thought AntiArf's camera set-up was on wide angle lens, but now I don't think so. His planes are very small when you view the video. I'm going to try it that way first, because it will be easier. But if I can handle this contraption while flying, the video will be much better. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply