Nov 11, 2019, 08:18 PM
Jer. 29:11
Thread OP
Recommended control throws:
Aileron: 7/16 to 9/16 in.
Elevator: 7/16 to 9/16 in.
Rudder: 9/16 to 11/16 in.
20% expo

(I added this information to the plans in the first post too.)
to remove ads between posts
Nov 11, 2019, 09:44 PM
Jeff, with all due respect, I don't think even 3-d planes have that much throw. Here's what I did while waiting for your reply. I looked at Phoenix Models' A-26 as a reference, scaled down the size, and converted their millimeters to fractional inches, with a 1/16" resolution. I got: Ailerons--3/16" Low Rates, 1/4" High Rates; Elevators--3/16" Low Rates, 1/4" High Rates; Rudder--3/8" Low Rates, 5/8" High Rates.
Nov 11, 2019, 09:54 PM
I just heard from Callie Graphics today. I love this woman, but don't tell her husband. She can do my graphics for $32 including shipping. Since it's custom work, it normally takes 2-3 weeks. So I immediately sent her money via Paypal. Below is the chopped-down pic of what I had posted earlier.
Nov 11, 2019, 11:53 PM

The A-26 As A Movie Star

I almost forgot that the A-26 was a water bomber in Steven Spielberg's 1989 movie Always. This would be a great way to finish your plane!
Nov 13, 2019, 12:19 AM

Back Wing Brace

When I ran up my motors after getting all my electronics in the airframe, I noticed my nacelles pitching up. I hadn't thought about it before, but when I wiggled my nacelles, they were weak and wobbly in the up-and-down direction, rotating around the spar. So today I got a new delivery of more carbon fiber strips, and constructed a back wing brace (see pix). The result was way better than I expected it to be. Those nacelles are LOCKED into place!
Nov 13, 2019, 09:07 AM
Thread OP
Very nice addition (and neat installation too).
Nov 14, 2019, 09:31 PM

Full Naked

It only took me a month-and-a-half to get to this point, and I work slow. Definitely a quick, easy build compared with a certain other A-26 I was previously working on.
Nov 15, 2019, 05:25 AM
Danish? Don't U eat that??
It certainly seems a nice, simple build. And I find it really captures the general visuals of the A-26 surprisingly well.
I'd probably consider rounding off the edges of the fuse and nacelle sides a little bit (should only take about 5-10 minutes with a bit of sand paper), but regardless it looks amazing!
Nov 15, 2019, 01:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKChris
It certainly seems a nice, simple build. And I find it really captures the general visuals of the A-26 surprisingly well.
I'd probably consider rounding off the edges of the fuse and nacelle sides a little bit (should only take about 5-10 minutes with a bit of sand paper), but regardless it looks amazing!
Thanks for your nice compliment, DKChris! Yeh, all the dolling up is forthcoming. I was actually going to maiden it like this tomorrow, but the weather changed to rain on me, so that means rounding off, filling in, sanding some more, and starting covering. I got the inspiration and justification to maiden it naked from this guy (see pic).
Nov 17, 2019, 03:48 PM
Makes sense. I guess we all tend to be followers of one of 2 "religions" in that regard; Either we prefer not to waste a bunch of hours of work dolling up a model that might crash beyond repair in the maiden, and live with the risk that we might never get around to properly finishing the model (in some cases even if it flies great - you just end up flying it as is, either because it gets a few dings and you don't feel like making quite as much of it after that.....or you may just never get around to it before it finally does crash), Or we prefer to keep on until every little tiny detail has been finished to perfection, and live with the risk that it may crash and burn in the maiden.

Personally I belong to the first kind, no question about that. Then, admittedly, it's more about the construction and concept and simply the thrill of making things fly than creating a perfect looking model to me (i actually have a bunch of planes lying around, quite a few of which fly really great , but where the "attraction" has simply sort of worn off after i have reached the point of making them fly properly. Luckily I almost exclusively build and fly cheap foam planes, otherwise I'd probably be broke by now
On the other side I definitely do appreciate the skills and the huge effort builders at the opposite end of the scale put into creating the amazing works of art they build. We are all different. And thank god for that .
Last edited by DKChris; Nov 17, 2019 at 04:05 PM.
Nov 17, 2019, 10:48 PM
Hey DKChris, check out the pic that has my chosen civilian-sector livery, except I have Bugs Bunny instead of Pe Pe Le Peu. I have this as my desktop background picture to movtivate me to finish mine. I'm really psyched, 'cause it reminds me of a Yellow Jacket! I'm definitely going to maiden mine naked, and the weather looks like a go later this week, maybe even Saturday or Sunday. Those wings are the thinnest wings I've ever flown, and with that hefty power system and sturdy airframe, that plane is liable to fly like a bat out of hell! I'm getting a camera tripod tomorrow, and I'm going to try to get some AntiArf-style video, where the camera will be stationary on the ground, and hopefully be able to capture one-half of the flying field. The point won't be to get professional close-ups of the plane, but will be to show you how the plane handles at hand launch, behavior in the air, and grass belly landing.
Nov 18, 2019, 10:19 PM

New Invention

For me, anyway! I was installing the pushrods today, and had to drill the holes in the servo arms bigger to fit the Dubro Mini E/Z Connectors. As I already had my servos installed and glued in place, and didn't previously know which hole I was going to use, I couldn't drill them out beforehand, which would have been easier. I had to use a 1/16" drill bit in my power drill, because my small hand drill would have taken forever to get through that tough nylon servo arm. But my connector hole was so close to the fuselage and nacelles, I ran the risk of smashing my power drill chuck into the foam sides. The drill bit was just too short to reach. Then I had an epiphany and realized that my small hand drill could fit in the chuck of my power drill. Ta-da! Lots of room to reach now!
Nov 19, 2019, 02:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B. Scott
Hey DKChris, check out the pic that has my chosen civilian-sector livery, except I have Bugs Bunny instead of Pe Pe Le Peu. I have this as my desktop background picture to movtivate me to finish mine. I'm really psyched, 'cause it reminds me of a Yellow Jacket! I'm definitely going to maiden mine naked, and the weather looks like a go later this week, maybe even Saturday or Sunday. Those wings are the thinnest wings I've ever flown, and with that hefty power system and sturdy airframe, that plane is liable to fly like a bat out of hell! I'm getting a camera tripod tomorrow, and I'm going to try to get some AntiArf-style video, where the camera will be stationary on the ground, and hopefully be able to capture one-half of the flying field. The point won't be to get professional close-ups of the plane, but will be to show you how the plane handles at hand launch, behavior in the air, and grass belly landing.

Very nice looking plane; good choice for a scale, but reasonable to create look, too.
personally, I have kind of a thing for the dirty raw aluminum look, like the "fire eater" plane from the film "Always", with the dark blue nacelles and red/white wing tips and fin. Not really pretty, but it does have a certain "something". Might be that my taste in looks could be a part what keeps me from building scale stuff? Creating something like that takes quite some time with all the weathering needed, and it tends to be hit or miss if you end up with a believeable result.

Nice idea with the "electrified" hand drill; I'll definitely keep that one in mind.

I'll be looking forward to hearing and seeing more about the maiden
Nov 19, 2019, 11:03 AM
Thread OP
The drill-in-drill solution is brilliant!

Quick Reply