Oct 23, 2019, 12:41 AM
I got to play with temporarily putting my A-26 pieces together, and rough-weighed it with the gear. Without the lightweight covering, it comes to a little under 1-1/2 lbs. With my power system, this plane would fly well at 2 lbs. Not scale-like flight speeds, mind you, but fun speeds nonetheless for me.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 25, 2019, 04:29 PM
I have a question for any of you who have experience with MPF: What do you use for filler for polystyrene?
Oct 25, 2019, 07:05 PM
Jer. 29:11
Thread OP
Here is my go-to filler: Freddie B's secret sauce
Last edited by jeffsch; Oct 25, 2019 at 07:12 PM.
Oct 25, 2019, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsch
Here is my go-to filler: Freddie B's secret sauce
Thank you, Jeff. I'm going to need it.
Oct 25, 2019, 08:15 PM

Fuse To Wing Glue Joint Set-up

As I said earlier, for me, set-up is everything. Here's how I've got my wing squared to my fuselage. I'm using 30-minute epoxy to give me plenty of time to get things all cleaned up. I first measured the wing to fuse symmetry. The nose is so long, I used that instead of the tail, which is still too wobbly in its unglued state to be accurate for measuring. I measured 23" from the wingtip step to the fuse outside front edge on either side.
Oct 28, 2019, 11:58 PM
Just got my AMA Park Pilot magazine today, and saw this (pic). Goes to show that the popularity of the A-26 hasn't waned. Today's work on mine was to do a dry run on the installation of the electronics since gluing the wing in place. Everything still looks like a go!
Oct 31, 2019, 12:18 AM
Today's work consisted of making modified hatches. My trial fit of my oversized electronics yesterday let me know that I could benefit from a wee bit more room. So instead of the stock 1/4"-thick foam hatches, I opted for 1/16"-thick ones (two 1/32" balsa sheets laminated with epoxy for strength). I have air coming in from the front of the fuse (where the headlight is on the full-scale water bomber), with the first exhaust vent located at the back of the battery hatch.
Oct 31, 2019, 08:01 AM
Thread OP
Keep up the good work Jay.
Nov 01, 2019, 05:43 PM

Nacelle To Wing Glue Joint Set-up

A couple of pix to show how I set it up. However you set yours up, just keep in mind my favorite set-up saying, "Think Square!" That will be especially important for the nacelles. It took me hours to get my set-up ready, and 5 minutes to glue it together.
Nov 06, 2019, 01:59 PM

Radio Check

This is a nice milestone for me, as the rest of the build is all familiar territory. In the pic, notice the new Spektrum 6-channel sport receiver. No more antenna!
Nov 06, 2019, 07:53 PM
Thread OP
Great progress!
Nov 07, 2019, 05:51 PM

Rear Fuse Gluing Set-up

I'm posting this because we only have two hands to get this rear end together. I hope this helps to get your mental gears going for how you set yours up. I used foam-safe gap-filling CA on the upper and lower parts, one at a time, and sat them in place at their front ends, with the rest pointing away from the fuse sides. Then I put them both in their positions, and used kicker after I rubber-banded the assembly together.
Nov 07, 2019, 09:15 PM

Stab Gluing Set-up

The stab has to be straight in two different directions: parallel to the wing from the top view, and parallel to the wing from the front view. Once again, I don't expect anyone to do exactly as I did mine, but rather let mine help you to think about how to do yours. I set it up so that once I took the stab out to put glue on it, I could slide it back into place so that it would already be lined up. Notice that I used one thickness of MPF for the stab, reinforced with a C. F. strip. The bottom piece of stab from the kit, normally used to laminate together with the top piece for a double-thick stab, was cut to fill in the bottom half of the stab slot in the rear fuse. Also notice that the bevel is at the back of the stab, rather than the front of the elevator. That's because I used a C. F. strip at the front of the elevator to serve the double duty of an "joiner wire" and reinforcement. OK--time to quit for the day, and get some chow.
Nov 07, 2019, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Fantastic work. It will be a nice, straight model!
Nov 08, 2019, 11:16 AM
Hey Jeff, will you please post your control throws for high and low rates?

Quick Reply