Jan 09, 2020, 10:31 AM
I like Golden Age
Yep. Bottom wing guards. The full scale had them. I am sure they were used frequently!
Nice build. Thanks for sharing your work.
when I do mine I am just going to use an angled piece of 1/16 music wire under each tip.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 10, 2020, 09:59 AM
Music wire, great idea. I'm doing that too when it comes time. Me and my combat partner. We did combat as a noon time show at events. And inevitably, it happened. Now we stay further apart. That Dr1 is super maneuverable. Probably the most fun plane I have.
Edwin
Jan 10, 2020, 06:01 PM
N = R* fp ne fl fi f
BOTH Snoopy AND the Red Baron had a bad day it seems.....
Jan 13, 2020, 02:22 PM
I like Golden Age

power package on demo plane

Really nice build. I can tell from the photos you have built a few kits!
I have had an email into Balsa USA for what they used in their video plane for a power package.
No response yet.
If you look close at the video, they have the battery under the motor inside the cowl.
After looking at your build that location appears to be the only (easy) place you could put a battery.
This thread is very helpful. Thanks again for posting.
Jan 14, 2020, 08:39 PM
Thread OP

Ron

There is a small section below the turtle deck for a battery. This means to change the battery you would have to take off the prop and cowl, not fun.
The space is 1 deep. As it is I have to install the fuel tank inside the plane before the radio and servos. I would have to remove them to ever get the tank back out. The only recommendation for electric is size 40 4-stroke equivalent if that helps.
Jan 14, 2020, 09:33 PM
Dont ya love a plane in the bones?
Edwin
Jan 15, 2020, 12:12 AM
This kit certainly is different than the Dancing Wings version. I recently built their 770mm version and it is interesting see the quality of this kit, and you even have instructions!
Jan 16, 2020, 08:25 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Sorry if I missed it but did you mention what engine you are using?

I've seen on their other 1/6th scale builds you have to mount the engine pretty much touching the firewall, or even make a carb recess, using a two piece engine mount. Those fully boxed mounts like your using makes the engine stick out too far.

Mike
Jan 17, 2020, 10:47 AM
I like Golden Age
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzk
There is a small section below the turtle deck for a battery. This means to change the battery you would have to take off the prop and cowl, not fun.
The space is 1” deep. As it is I have to install the fuel tank inside the plane before the radio and servos. I would have to remove them to ever get the tank back out. The only recommendation for electric is size 40 4-stroke equivalent if that helps.
That is why BalsaUSA put the battery under the motor (as can be seen in the video). You have access to that area without removing anything. It also looks like they trimmed the cowl back so they could get the battery in there. Note the difference in the pictures.
What is the inside diameter of the cowl? And what is the depth of the cowl, minus the front radius? I can get an idea of battery size from that. At 6lbs you would need a 5S for sure.
Last edited by ronj10; Jan 17, 2020 at 11:00 AM.
Jan 18, 2020, 06:08 PM
Thread OP

Ronj

That looks like the best option for this plane. The dia of the cowl is 7 and depth is 3.25. Im sure they figured this out after instructions were printed.
Jan 18, 2020, 06:17 PM
Thread OP

CryH

I bought a Dubro 2-pc and that was worse. I tried finding an OS Max mount but no luck. I did cut off the nose wheel hub from the Great Planes mount to get me some more room.
Jan 18, 2020, 08:06 PM
Tomorrow I'll procrastinate
Tom: Nice build. What's your opinion of the quality of the cut parts? I can see from your photos that there are plenty of laser cut parts, but BalsaUSA web site says the kit also includes "jig" cut parts. Any problems with those? I am seriously considering building one of these 1/6th scale Fokker DR1 kits, but I was a little disappointed with the 1/6th scale BUSA Sopwith pup because many of the "cut" parts were badly crushed and/or not cut out. That's why I'm asking. Thanks.
Jan 18, 2020, 10:31 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzk
I bought a Dubro 2-pc and that was worse. I tried finding an OS Max mount but no luck. I did cut off the nose wheel hub from the Great Planes mount to get me some more room.
No, what I meant by "two-piece" was something like these from Sig - https://sigmfg.com/collections/acces...-engine-mounts
These allow you to mount the engine as far back as you need and you can cut some of the web off if needed.

Those shock resistant metal ones are nice, but a bit overkill for smaller engines.

Mike

Quick Reply