Feb 17, 2005, 12:30 PM
Heli Headcase
Thread OP

Pulsing Mega at Max speed on Trex

I have a trex with a CC45, Mega 16/15/3, and TP2100 lipo. I have an 11 tooth pinion. Running on high rpm governor mode, my motor starts "pulsing" at about 90 - 100% throttle setting. My trex acts like its possessed once it gets off the ground swinging back and fourth very quickly from the pulsing motor. Really weird. I dont have this issue when I run in fixed throttle mode so I'm not sure what the deal is here. I disabled the current limiting in hopes to remedy this but still have the problem. I dont think its a glitch, it seems like the ESC is cutting power to the motor in a pulse like pattern. Thats the best way to describe it. I would like to keep flying in governor mode if possible because i dont want to mess with throttle curves (have no clue how to set these up anyway.) Does anyone know what is causing this? Now that I think about it I had a similar issue with the same motor and speed control in my Eolo. I'm not sure if its the CC45 a esc because it did the same thing when I had a CC25 in my trex. Maybe there is something wrong with my mega when using governor?? I'm confused
to remove ads between posts
Feb 17, 2005, 12:54 PM
The Governor mode in CC controllers is not the best, although it is getting alot better. There are improvements in the 1.11 firmware, which you can download if you have a PHX-Link.

Even the guys at Castle will tell you that you're better off making your own throttle curves. You'll be able to match the characteristics of your motor and heli with alot more precision than any electronic governor, but it's a lot of tweak-tweak-tweaking. It's worth learning how to do though

TheDudeVT
Feb 17, 2005, 01:03 PM
Heli Headcase
Thread OP
I don't need the governor mode to be 100% accurate. I'm not doing any kind of 3d flying so any fine tuning is not needed right now. Just hovering and some fast forward flight. I just need it to stop pulsing!! There is something seriously wrong somewhere. Perhaps I should call up CC and see whats up. I'm sure I have the lastest firmware but I'll double check on that.
Feb 17, 2005, 03:09 PM
Hey... watch this...
I have seen this on my Align 400 L motor.

I was running in Advanced timing (the align motor is 8 poles), and high governor mode and when I went 100% I got pulsing in the motor.

Shut it down reprogramed the ESC for Standard timing and kept high governor mode problem was gone.

Dont know if this will work for you but it cured my problem, the instructions say to run standard for lower pole motors like hacker, himax (2 poles) and high for higher pole but they dont list how high....I dont know how many poles a hacker is but this might be worth a shot?

Also as a side not I bench test my helis ducted taped to a bar stool in my shop so I can measure amps from 0 to max pitches and such... might help you to troubleshoot.

Mike
Feb 17, 2005, 04:05 PM
Heli Headcase
Thread OP
hmm...i was thinking about messing with the timing. This may be worth a shot. I'll experiment with the different values. I had it on the default timing which is recommended for smaller Megas. Guess it cant hurt to try the other two. Well at least I'm not the only one who ever had this problem.

Thanks for the tip I'll give it a shot when I get home and report back.
Feb 19, 2005, 08:42 PM
Heli Headcase
Thread OP
Ok I tried my ESC on all different timing and frequency settings. I'm still getting the pulsing motor thing. I'm just wondering do you think there might be something wrong with my Mega in that it causes this if it is being controlled by a governor? I tried two different ESC and I got the same effect so I'm ruling out the possibility of a defective ESC. Like I mentioned earlier I had this smae issue with the SAME motor when I was using it on my Eolo. I'm thinking the motor malfunctions when its in governor mode somehow. Perhaps I will try another motor just to see. Any other suggestions?
Feb 19, 2005, 09:20 PM
It will take you 30 seconds to reprogram the controller to run without governor mode.

Don't get too theoretical. Just try it.

Toshi
Feb 19, 2005, 09:31 PM
Closed Account
Believe me when I (and others here) tell you that the governor mode on CC controllers is not very good. It is highly motor dependant and I've even had the surgin problem go away and come back on different battery pack. I've tried all the firmware versions available and some are better but none is very good on my Align 400s outrunner. It's just not worth the hassle right now.

Switch to fixed throttle mode and you'll be much happier. Set your throttle channel endpoins so that the controller just arms at low stick and just hits full throttle at high stick. Then try the stock throttle and pitch curves to see if the feel OK to you.

Castle Creation has made a promise to work on having the governor mode settings available in the Phx-Link program so we can tweak them ourselves. But until that happens, I'm not putting myself through the frustration any more.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332863
Feb 19, 2005, 09:49 PM
The governor algorithm definitely seems like a black art.

If you use statically defined parameters, it seems there is always a some set of conditions whereby the rotor speed is unstable and cyclically oscillates up and down. Apparently you need some sort of feedback mechanism to dynamically adjust the parameters to prevent the oscillations from occuring.

Toshi
Feb 19, 2005, 09:58 PM
Words...
My CC10 would pulse in governor mode too...I gave up and just went to fixed...figure I can just do the throttle curve thing and be safe

Jared
Feb 19, 2005, 10:35 PM
Heli Headcase
Thread OP
ok fixed mode it is. I was hoping to figure out the governor mode problem just to save me the trouble with adjusting throttle curves. guess i have to learn how to do this soon or later. any good links that show or explain how to adjust throttle curves?

Quick Reply