Jul 26, 2019, 09:00 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Thread OP
Discussion

Laser cut Grand Esprit parts..

So... since I have had a set of plans in .dwg format for the old Airtronics 'Grand Esprit' sailplane, I decided to edit them and make up sheets with ribs and other parts on them. I made the sheets to 4" X 18" size as my laser only cuts up to 20" long, and I can cut 36" sheets in half so this makes a good lay-out size for me. Today, I had a bit of time and cut a couple of sheets worth, and I think they turned out great I did the lettering as 'cut' instead of scan as it is much faster. Settings in RDWorks were minimum, 13 maximum at 15 100mms for the letters and minimum 55 maximum 60 at 70mms for the cuts.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Aug 31, 2019 at 02:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 26, 2019, 11:48 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Even went to the trouble to stencil the parts. Laser cutters can write stuff, too. But time consuming, eh?

Name: 2018-04-07 17.27.46.jpg
Views: 68
Size: 3.90 MB
Description:
Jul 27, 2019, 12:21 AM
Thread OP
I had first set it to 'scan' engrave, and yes, that was time consuming, so, set it to 'cut' and turned the power down and it was vert fast.

SteveT.
Last edited by SteveT.; Jul 27, 2019 at 03:20 AM.
Jul 28, 2019, 01:50 AM
Thread OP
I got the rest of the balsa ribs cut, but I have no 1/8" ply for the root ribs and the first three ribs and the only dealer around here that carries it had only one very warped sheet, so will have to order some

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Jul 28, 2019, 01:57 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Ouch. That's gonna be a lot of gluing, Steve.
Jul 28, 2019, 01:11 PM
Thread OP
Just two wings..

SteveT,
Aug 31, 2019, 03:00 AM
Thread OP
So.. I was finally able to get some 1/8" 3 Ply plywood, and cut some more parts for my Grand Esprit I want to build. The 3 ply cut great, my only problem is that I can't cut the full length sides so I had to put some 'finger joints in the sides and join them together. Once I put a thin piece of ply on the inside, I feel they will be plenty strong.

One thing though, I goofed and forgot to make the text in blue color, so it was black which in RDWorks I have set as a 'cut' color (blue engrave), so i didn't realize it cut the letters/numbers as I walked around to my building table to get some other sheets of wood ready for cutting. If you look close in the first pic you can see a couple of the 'Ws' that got cut out..

SteveT.

Quick Reply