Thread Tools
Sep 04, 2019, 07:33 PM
Registered User
it wouldnt use a uart it embeds the tracking data in the video streamso this would connect between your flight controller video out and vtx.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2019, 11:49 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyincali
it wouldnt use a uart it embeds the tracking data in the video streamso this would connect between your flight controller video out and vtx.
It gets the gps information via the uart ports.
Sep 05, 2019, 09:41 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
MAVLink protocol allows to transmit the information from the UAV through the digital radio link.
If the on-board system already includes the digital radio, and the flight controller that supports
MAVLink protocol, Crossbow AAT will be able to receive all flight information necessary to track
the UAV through the shared TXD line of the digital radio station.
Sep 05, 2019, 12:11 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_model
MAVLink protocol allows to transmit the information from the UAV through the digital radio link.
If the on-board system already includes the digital radio, and the flight controller that supports
MAVLink protocol, Crossbow AAT will be able to receive all flight information necessary to track
the UAV through the shared TXD line of the digital radio station.
Cheers, I just checked INav configurator and you are able to set one of the uarts or Soft serial ports to send telemetry via MAVLink

I'll wait for more videos on this Antenna tracker to come out put it looks like it should work
Sep 06, 2019, 07:03 AM
Foam Fighter and a Bloody Mick
grenadapult's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_model
MAVLink protocol allows to transmit the information from the UAV through the digital radio link.
If the on-board system already includes the digital radio, and the flight controller that supports
MAVLink protocol, Crossbow AAT will be able to receive all flight information necessary to track
the UAV through the shared TXD line of the digital radio station.
I'm sorry, I don't understand. I've never used or seen used by someone else, and antenna tracker. By digital radio system, do you mean the telemetry radio for my Ardupliot? I was hoping to feed my MAVLink data into the video stream via the Telefly Tiny module. Does it work that way?
Sep 06, 2019, 08:28 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by grenadapult
I'm sorry, I don't understand. I've never used or seen used by someone else, and antenna tracker. By digital radio system, do you mean the telemetry radio for my Ardupliot? I was hoping to feed my MAVLink data into the video stream via the Telefly Tiny module. Does it work that way?
Yeah I read that part again it confused me. Normally these with one modules work in two ways.

1. It will be connected to the FC to retrieve the gps telemetry. Then it will send that telemetry information down to the tracker via the video or audio stream hence why you connect it between the video out and the vtx

2. Exactly like the first option but instead of getting the telemetry from the FC, you will have a separate GPS module to give the coordinates directly.

As for digital radio, that's used for mission planning and positioning. I never see people use it for AAT.

My concern is if it will work with INav MAVLink telemetry which I think it should. Guess we will just have to wait for Axangelrc to make a video on it.

The manual for this tracker is terrible IMO. not only is it hard to fine but not easy to understand. Also the bloody company of the tracker didn't even bother to make a setup video of their product themselves
Sep 06, 2019, 07:51 PM
Registered User
This injects the data into the video. No separate uart needed. You hook the Rx line from the Telefly to the tx line of the GPS that is hooked to your flight controller. You then connect the video out of flight control to the video in on the Telefly then video out from Telefly hooks to vtx. Power the Telefly and go. I haven't used the crossbow or the new mini telefly but used the older Telefly and the mfd aat before.
Sep 06, 2019, 10:49 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyincali
This injects the data into the video. No separate uart needed. You hook the Rx line from the Telefly to the tx line of the GPS that is hooked to your flight controller. You then connect the video out of flight control to the video in on the Telefly then video out from Telefly hooks to vtx. Power the Telefly and go. I haven't used the crossbow or the new mini telefly but used the older Telefly and the mfd aat before.
I don't want to connect the module directly to my gps because that will involve splicing the cable which I don't want to do. I also don't want a separate GPS on-board.

What I'm saying is that the RX line from the Telefly can be connected to the Tx line on an extra uart in INav. Then in INav you set it to output MAVLink telemetry where it will send the gps info.

I'm not saying you HAVE TO, I'm saying it's another option
Sep 07, 2019, 01:24 PM
Registered User
Yeah I guess I wasn't thinking about feeding the Telefly mavlink data on the plane. I suppose this also make it easier to transfer between planes if you wanted as the Mavlink data shod stay the same even if the baud rates or settings of the GPS are different.
Sep 08, 2019, 10:53 PM
Registered User
i've been looking at this mfd mini crossbow too.. but it seems there hasn't been a review yet... i'm waiting for arxangelrc's review on this AAT... or hopefully someone else does a tutorial or a thorough review of this mini AAT...

thanks guys for the updates and technical details... thanks fpv_model
Sep 09, 2019, 01:36 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisrpm
i've been looking at this mfd mini crossbow too.. but it seems there hasn't been a review yet... i'm waiting for arxangelrc's review on this AAT... or hopefully someone else does a tutorial or a thorough review of this mini AAT...

thanks guys for the updates and technical details... thanks fpv_model
I'm in the exact same boat
Sep 09, 2019, 08:47 AM
Professional UAV Services
Redemptioner's Avatar
Still makes no sense why MFD continues to make more AAT's without the GPS built into the tracker itself for setting its actual position.......such a pain (and ugly) connecting an external GPS to it for better accuracy.
Sep 09, 2019, 08:55 AM
Professional UAV Services
Redemptioner's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV_model
MAVLink protocol allows to transmit the information from the UAV through the digital radio link.
If the on-board system already includes the digital radio, and the flight controller that supports
MAVLink protocol, Crossbow AAT will be able to receive all flight information necessary to track
the UAV through the shared TXD line of the digital radio station.
It means if you already have a radio serial radio link with mavlink protocol running (like a 3dr 415mhz radio or dragonlink etc) then you can take the serial output at the ground and feed it into the AAT on the ground to get the tracking information, no requirement for a Teleflytiny or other extra MFD device on the plane to encode the signal. This is what people were crying out for from MFD 5 years ago when tones of people were using Ardupilot and Telemetry radios. The Teleflypro is a pretty poor product and way to big, the teleflytiny was a big help but about 7 years too late. It is still missing so many things considering the time they have had and the price they are charging.....
Sep 11, 2019, 07:51 AM
I can fix that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redemptioner
It means if you already have a radio serial radio link with mavlink protocol running (like a 3dr 415mhz radio or dragonlink etc) then you can take the serial output at the ground and feed it into the AAT on the ground to get the tracking information, no requirement for a Teleflytiny or other extra MFD device on the plane to encode the signal. This is what people were crying out for from MFD 5 years ago when tones of people were using Ardupilot and Telemetry radios. The Teleflypro is a pretty poor product and way to big, the teleflytiny was a big help but about 7 years too late. It is still missing so many things considering the time they have had and the price they are charging.....
I'm hoping this is how it will work. Then you can bluetooth Mavlink from the TBS Crossfire into it on the ground and not have to touch anything on the planes.
Sep 12, 2019, 06:43 AM
Foam Fighter and a Bloody Mick
grenadapult's Avatar
Isn't the video feed the most powerful way to get data from the plane to the ground station? I think I'd rather have a module on the plane that intercepts the Mavlink there, and injects the data into the video stream (audio, whatever). That's also one less tx/rx antenna to set up.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New Bluetooth module for MFD Crosshair AutoPilot support iOS and Android devices FPV_model FPV Equipment 3 Apr 27, 2019 06:55 PM
Discussion Looking for a new, light weight 3D indoor plane. DaN_Th3_MaN 3D Foamies 1 May 21, 2011 06:28 AM
Discussion New AP light weight mount cdi3d Aerial Photography 0 May 11, 2009 08:54 PM
New light weight wing decisions dustn Slope 54 Jul 29, 2005 10:45 AM
new light weight 3d plane from balsa products guyaneze 3D Flying 59 Jul 28, 2005 08:17 AM