Sep 05, 2019, 11:04 PM
in pursuit of low wing loading
Thread OP
The start of the landing gear. Struts are 0.7mm OD CF tube, which will be glued to the triangular ply mount and installed on the fuselage stick. The Garolite wheels complete with hubs weigh 0.07g for the pair. The landing gear will be finished tomorrow night. I have to sand down one end of the piano wire axle so it will fit inside the CF tube, then bend, and glue in place. Sanding the wire down in a dremel tool is a pain, so that's for tomorrow. Also tomorrow hopefully I will make and install the push rods.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2019, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGordon
Thanks for the updates. Really like how you implement the hinging. Takes a lot of design work to make something so simple.
Thanks.

One thing I should have done on the rudder pivot was to laser up a small Garolite "washer" that would be slid on the molded CF bent piece. Then, after it was all assembled the washer could be slid up close to the lower end of the 1.0mm OD CF tube, and kind of lock it in place, fixing with a tiny dab of CA. As it is the rudder stays in place by gravity. It's ok, but the washer would be a nice way to make sure.

One thing to install after connecting rods and landing gear is a molded curved CF tail skid. That will be the last piece to install on the plane.
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Sep 06, 2019 at 09:03 AM.
Sep 06, 2019, 10:10 PM
Thread OP
It's done. Final weight is 7.85 grams compared to the Ugly Stik at 6.66grams. So, about 1.2 grams porkier. The heavier paint, heavier RX and servos, and heavier prop added up to a heavier plane. I think I'll have to go to muscle wire, lighter battery, and lighter propulsion, and a bit lighter airframe to get down close to 5 grams.

Still, I like the way it looks. I'll try and fly it in my family room this weekend. If I can get my daughter to video it I might be able to post that.

The big thing is it is done before NEAT. I think I have a plane that can probably be flown in the Micro Seminar 20x40 tent.
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Sep 06, 2019 at 10:47 PM.
Sep 07, 2019, 09:39 AM
Thread OP
I just flew it in my family room. It flew great. Hopefully video coming soon.
Sep 07, 2019, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
My daughter just took a quick video of it flying in my family room. Not the best carrier landing. Give YouTube time to fully process the video. Right now it is kind of fuzzy.

Stick Citabria Room Flier (0 min 38 sec)
Sep 07, 2019, 09:44 PM
Clancy
very nice
Sep 08, 2019, 10:23 AM
Looks great. If anything it seems to fly better than the Ugly Stik...at least from what I saw.
Sep 08, 2019, 11:49 AM
Aedificem ergo sum
Well done! I want to see you land it on the scratching post...after NEAT of course!
Sep 08, 2019, 02:06 PM
Thread OP
I actually did accidentally land it on the scratching post. But, no video of that. The cats of course are very interested when I fly any plane in the house.

Quick Reply