Sep 18, 2019, 09:54 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
Demolition Man Secure Foam is the only answer!

airbags Demolition Man 1993 (1 min 7 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 10:17 PM
I'd rather be flying!
I'm still waiting for my shipment of Unobtanium to get here! It's been on back-order for ages...

Joel
Latest blog entry: E-flite 850mm Pitts
Sep 19, 2019, 03:14 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
However, air bags don't get you away from the post-crash fire that usually happens. In Bryan's case with the Beast, the post-crash fire consumed most of the forward fuselage & cockpit - so even if he had survived the impact, the fire would've killed him. Plus - a plane that's doing aerobatics when something goes wrong might go in flat, it might go in wing-first, it might go in tail-first, it might go in inverted, or it might go in nose-first. No way to put in enough air bags for that. It's the same deal with auto racing.

When you're going hundreds of miles per hour within feet of solid objects such as walls or the ground, there's simply no way to provide crash protection that's anywhere near close to what we expect from today's passenger cars at legal highway speeds. It's impossible, because such a system would have to defy the laws of physics. You can't slow a driver or pilot down that quickly in any practical race car chassis or aerobatic plane airframe, because the deceleration G-forces would kill them.

Joel
Ummm.... I was joking, sorry you missed that lol I was trying to lighten the mood here
Ok, let's get back to designing a ballistic ejector seat for ultralight aircraft...
Sep 19, 2019, 03:15 AM
what goes up, must come down..
Quote:
I'm still waiting for my shipment of Unobtanium to get here! It's been on back-order for ages...

Joel
*This* is funny!
Sep 19, 2019, 12:38 PM
Thereís just something about the thought of a pilot ejecting from his aircraft in the middle of an airshow performance thatís a bit unsettling. I realize there are times when it would make no difference whether he remained with the craft or not, but still I always think of the horrible Sknyliv airshow disaster in Ukraine when a SU-27 plunged into the crowd killing 77 spectators and injuring more than 500 after the crew safely ejected.
Sep 19, 2019, 06:47 PM
Quote:
Problem is - it would have to be a rocket-propelled ejection seat w/vectored thrust that could eject straight down at, say, 50-100' AGL, yet still thrust-vector itself right-side-up & then gain enough altitude for a safe ballistic parachute recovery. Anything less would be 100% unacceptable, as it's absolutely impossible to predict the altitude & attitude at which such a system would be needed during an unlimited aerobatic performance. Hell, the Air Force & NASA don't even have an ejection system that works from inverted flight @ typical airshow altitudes!

And assuming one could be designed, the result would be much too heavy for small aerobatic planes that typically weigh ~1000 pounds or less without pilot & fuel. It would also be way too expensive for the vast majority of airshow performers who aren't world-famous & don't make the big bucks.

Joel
yeah trust me i thought of that.... it'd require some ballistic control systems... and it probably isn't practical for 99% of the guys who fly... 100% agree.
Sep 20, 2019, 05:31 AM
Mountain Surfer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
If he just would have turned the nose in to the gale he could have easily took off with NO roll out!
That's really easy to say when you're not in that situation.
Sep 20, 2019, 06:05 AM
Iím pretty sure OhBee wasnít Monday morning quarterbacking - just alluding to Dracoís STOL capabilities, which (were ) quite considerable.
Sep 20, 2019, 10:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBee
If he just would have turned the nose in to the gale he could have easily took off with NO roll out!
In his narrative, he said he had considered doing just that, but didn't want to run afoul of the field rules.
Sep 20, 2019, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalFpvAddict
That's really easy to say when you're not in that situation.
+1 on that
Oct 03, 2019, 12:52 PM
Fly Low - Hit Hard
And what now that the prototype has met its demise?

RF
Oct 03, 2019, 01:50 PM
I'd rather be flying!
Well...the HH guys did say that they have other projects in the works with Mike.

With luck, hopefully we'll see an RC model of Scrappy - Mike's upcoming, absolutely insane, heavily hopped-up Carbon Cub that he's building out of a scrapyard Carbon Cub airframe & scrapyard parts, and powering with a boneyard Lycoming flat-8 with 780 CID & 500 HP!!!

SCRAPPY BUILD BEGINS! - Patey Twins Talk Plane Designs + First Cut On Scrappy (17 min 58 sec)

🤫 Sneak Peek! and Update on Scrappy! (4 min 29 sec)

🚧WARNING🚧 This aircraft is not practical! (8 min 19 sec)

Never said that Scrappy was Normal 🤷🏻‍♂️ (29 min 7 sec)

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Oct 03, 2019 at 02:00 PM.
Oct 10, 2019, 01:40 PM

Scrappy's gonna be at center stage now.

I’m dropping scrappy (39 min 52 sec)

Quick Reply