Sep 13, 2019, 01:50 AM
XFM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Is it comparable to how the real ones look in motion ?

Russia : Military Zubr Hovercraft lands on crowded Beach during Training Exercise (Aug 21, 2013) (1 min 4 sec)
Last edited by XFM; Sep 13, 2019 at 03:27 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 14, 2019, 11:14 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
It's like whoever designed this model was a really good designer. But they were working from a picture of the real thing and a one paragraph description of how a hovercraft works. They didn't bother to try to understand how it would have to work scaled down. It's like they just assumed if they put all the parts together in a way that was generally consistent with "hovercraft", it'd work.
Sep 15, 2019, 12:38 PM
BIG and FANTASTIC radio controlled RC Hovercraft (4 min 56 sec)

A Zubr model on water, it looks like it's bogging down into the water more than the Griffon model, but it's doing far better than the model at the start of this thread. It seems it is a tough design to scale down while keeping reasonable performance. Interesting that differential thrust with fixed motors is doing about as well as the pivoting motors on the Hobbyking craft.

I would be curious to see if the HK craft is salvageable at all or if the best thing is to transplant the body and the rear motors onto a scratchbuilt skirt and hull. The centrifugal lift fan looks alright a glance, in theory at least it's better than using a propeller, but again the air intake is so restricted it might not matter that much.
Sep 15, 2019, 05:38 PM
Are we not men? We are DEVO!
I would bet the full size has a seperate bow plenum and even a secondary skirt to make sure the bow is kept fully inflated.
pictures of the real craft always have a big skirt bulge up front.
Sep 16, 2019, 12:40 AM
XFM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
I would bet the full size has a seperate bow plenum and even a secondary skirt to make sure the bow is kept fully inflated.
pictures of the real craft always have a big skirt bulge up front.
Yes, seen here is secondary finger skirt below the main skirt

Russia: World's largest hovercraft opens Race of Heroes military sports event (1 min 37 sec)

I also saw this nice scratchbuilt.
It appears to be larger, differential thrust steering and lighter in weight.

fran oakley's zubr class hovercraft (3 min 15 sec)

Edit: just realized this is the same hovercraft as FiftySlicks posted above
Last edited by XFM; Sep 16, 2019 at 12:54 AM.

Quick Reply