Jul 25, 2019, 07:42 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
New Product

Zubr-Class LCAC 1/10 Hovercraft from HobbyKing

This looks pretty good! Nice scale military hovercraft. The Zubr-Class Hovercraft

Zubr-Class LCAC 1/110th Scale Amphibious Hovercraft - HobbyKing Product Video (1 min 12 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2019, 09:16 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
LOL. pass.
it looks like it barely hovers on water.
Latest blog entry: MY notes/ Ascent 2"build notes
Jul 25, 2019, 09:33 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
I thought the bubbles coming out from under the skirt were a riot. But yeah, it looks nose heavy on the water, and if it was really hovering the skirt would be completely out of the water, not submerged... Looks great on a flat surface but not so much on water.
Jul 28, 2019, 11:12 AM
There was a thread about this over on dock talk a while back, it didn't get a warm reception there either.

I had a toy grade hovercraft years ago, recall it was a Taiyo Edge style thing running of a nicad pack. It was far from impressive on water but it was still better than this one, at the very least it didn't bury the nose into the water under power. It looks like a combination of too little lift power and a high thrustline at fault here. Would be interested to see someone mod it with more lift power and maybe some downthrust, the skirt actually looks fairly nice.

Now here's a (maybe) dumb question - where is the air intake for the lift fan? Is it the 4 little circular ports on the top deck? That would severely choke off lift no matter how much power you had. I get that it's supposed to look 'scale' but I doubt anyone would mind a disproportionate lift intake if it allowed a better hover.
Jul 28, 2019, 11:53 AM
heres what its supposed to look like on water.

Jul 28, 2019, 06:33 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
I'm sure it has a lot of potential. For $179 I think it looks pretty decent. And who's to know if the person driving it for the video had it set up right.
Jul 28, 2019, 06:49 PM
Id like to hope that if HK is going to film, edit and release a promotional video , that they would have it "set up right".

she skirt doesnt even come out far enough on the bow. the whole thing is just an overpriced mess.
Jul 28, 2019, 08:23 PM
Just need to get the lift fans to run a little faster... higher KV motors?
Jul 28, 2019, 08:37 PM
as pointed out, there doesnt appear to be enough openings to take in any more air for the cushion.
honestly a well designed hovercraft doesn't really need a lot of air for lift. for some reason many RC builders forget the whole plenum and skirt design aspect, and then try and make up for it by tossing in larger /faster motors. (just like most RCers. lol)
Jul 29, 2019, 12:13 AM
Ah. It needs cheater holes, like an EDF...?
Aug 23, 2019, 12:11 PM
Brushless RC Hovercraft HG-201 on Water - Worlds biggest Hovercraft Zubr-Class LCAC 1/110 (4 min 19 sec)

Pretty shameful performance for a 'hover' craft on water. As he says it's quite alright on smooth ground, but at that point I'd argue you're better off with a skirtless craft rather than this poor imitation of a skirt. There seems to be some fundamental stability and design problems, I don't think more lift power or a better thrustline would matter all that much.

I think the designers were too focused on a perfect scale look rather than functionality. I just browsed for some videos of similar sized hovercraft on water, take a look:

RC Hovercraft. (2 min 50 sec)

I said earlier, I don't think anyone would mind a disproportionately sized lift intake and skirt if it meant the thing was more useful on water or rougher ground.
Aug 23, 2019, 01:00 PM
Grumpa Tom
Thread OP
Yes, it's clear now that it is a dud. Too bad. It would have been nice to have a scale military hovercraft that performed well.
Sep 03, 2019, 06:11 PM
It is a problematic model, but it has real potential, here is my analysis:

1, The nose pitch down in water because the torque from propulsion fan that mount high. Some angle of propulsion fan should fix it. And major problem is still it doesn't hover. see #2

2, The boat unable to hover over water but can hover over a flat parking lot. the reason is the little wave and ripple from the lifting fan will destroy any curtain effect from the rubber bottom. Really you can NOT scale 1/10 on how water react to air flow.
The boat actually float in a flat parking lot better on water.
Zubr-Class LCAC 1/110th Scale Amphibious Hovercraft - HobbyKing Product Video (1 min 12 sec)

It suggest the boat bottom lack of correcting buoyancy when some part of it get dip deeper into water. the other hover model posted above has large flat bottom, that the air will travel much longer distance to escape.

3, It also lack of tractability to maintain its heading on both water and land, its pressure center in water is way ahead of COG, any error and interference will make it lose heading instantly, some water rudder can fix that or need gyro to stabilize the thing on land

when I design mine, I was thinking the exact same physics, but total give up the idea of lifting fan, I just make it a pure air boat(fake LCAC)
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...aled-Zubr-LCAC
It can run on water, snow without issue.

I am waiting some detailed review from someone that can mod and change the dynamic of this boat, hopefully some really good modeler be able to fix the problem of this boat. This is a niche boat, the 7 brushless motor cost can adds up to 200 buck. I hope the manufacture make some "fake one" - NO air lifting fan, or just a kit at cheaper price.

Zubr/buffalo is a Russian boat to begin with and sold to Greece and later to china, at 500 km range and speed of 100km/h it can transport a tank-mech infantry battalion. 4 battalion loaded on such a thing moving at 100kmh from island to island make it impossible for enemy to defend any island.
Sep 10, 2019, 12:05 AM
XFM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
I just saw this video which shows whats inside.
He cut away some of the skirt in an attempt to make it work but that made it worse.
I think the main problem is the poor airflow to the lift fan.

Whats inside a $200 RC Hovercraft? HG-C201 Zubr-class, Worlds biggest Hovercraft. (14 min 54 sec)
Last edited by XFM; Sep 10, 2019 at 11:22 PM.
Sep 10, 2019, 12:31 AM
looks like the gyro is over correcting. that's why the servos flick all the way over and back.

Quick Reply