Jul 25, 2019, 03:18 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Electric cutoff

An idea to use.

I was looking for an electric motor timed cutoff and realized I have a Taranus transmitter and some old micro receivers. A few minutes of programming and I set the timer to 3 minutes(or whatever I want), a logical switch that changes when the timer hits 0 and a mix that sets the throttle to -100 when the logical switch changes. now I have a great setup that requires no input after the plane is launched. in 3 minutes the motor cuts off cleanly. The transmitter can ever call out the time remaining. I may experiment with a throttle ramp up as the flight progresses to keep power even.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 01:46 PM
Nicholas Jacobs
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaptabl
An idea to use.

I was looking for an electric motor timed cutoff and realized I have a Taranus transmitter and some old micro receivers. A few minutes of programming and I set the timer to 3 minutes(or whatever I want), a logical switch that changes when the timer hits 0 and a mix that sets the throttle to -100 when the logical switch changes. now I have a great setup that requires no input after the plane is launched. in 3 minutes the motor cuts off cleanly. The transmitter can ever call out the time remaining. I may experiment with a throttle ramp up as the flight progresses to keep power even.
So basically, you setup the plane ready to go. flip the throttle to start a timer, which gives you say 45 secs to get the lines in your hands. Then it ramps up the power and times for however many minutes you set, then cuts the throttle?

I would use governor mode on the ESC to keep the power even, that's what its designed for.

Cool idea, then its just like the old IC way only you don't need a release mechanism on the plane.

Cheers
Nicholas
Aug 21, 2019, 02:28 PM
If you are still mulling this over....

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...e-21st-Century

Is how I do it, works fine, just don't have to set a timer to 'go' and you can kill the motor at any time.

At one point I had my 'standard' 6 channel transmitter (DX6I) on a neck strap but with the sticks pointing away from me so the back case way lying flat on my chest and the sticks were sticking out forwards. At first I moved the stick but once I got my ESC (cheap HobbyKing YEP) set in governor mode at the correct RPM I just set a channel onto a switch with the end point set to the corresponding RPM, looks goofy but works fine.

Paul
Latest blog entry: Just To Say Hello.......
Sep 09, 2019, 06:00 PM
robinson727

CL Throttle

All..

I put this on another old thread by accident .. Post 14

Anyway..
Last winter I came up with a simple wireless throttle .. It's compact, 4 ch. and PWM output will drive an ESC for our 'lectric C/L friends.. or a 9gm. throttle servo for us nitro or diesel types. Right now we have been testing on a Brodak Bi-Slob and it works great... pics below. The paddle switch controls the throttle and trim is available.. Crude but it's been dead reliable so we can 'Make Pretty" later..
Al and the greyhounds
AMA255724
Sep 10, 2019, 07:49 AM
Al, can I get more details on your setup? Maybe a “how to build it for dummies” if you’re so inclined. I’ve been considering a car controller, but I like your thumb throttle.
Sep 11, 2019, 01:03 PM
I'd also like the "how-to" details for this. Seems like a good way to help out when the pilot gets dizzy.
Sep 12, 2019, 09:06 PM
Pan Pan Pan
What JMynes and TheRocksKid said!

Interesting set up, I'd like to learn how.
Sep 12, 2019, 09:31 PM
------
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson727
All..

I put this on another old thread by accident .. Post 14

Anyway..
Last winter I came up with a simple wireless throttle .. It's compact, 4 ch. and PWM output will drive an ESC for our 'lectric C/L friends.. or a 9gm. throttle servo for us nitro or diesel types. Right now we have been testing on a Brodak Bi-Slob and it works great... pics below. The paddle switch controls the throttle and trim is available.. Crude but it's been dead reliable so we can 'Make Pretty" later..
Al and the greyhounds
AMA255724
The post in question:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1&postcount=14

Quick Reply