Aug 30, 2019, 11:07 PM
A dream will find you

Photos please...!

Again I cannot speak for Killer, but I'd bet a great lunch he as I would be/are interested in how you treat the tiny occlusions in the mold.

I did not treat them with epoxy/ATH, as I think the layer would be so thin the patch would easily pop out or be chipped away on a recut.

The adhesive you used is clearly formulated for that material, but does it abrade equally with the sheet material above and below the glue line? My guess is yes, but I did not touch the finished surface.

Inquiring minds would like to know. Do post as you feel appropriate, especially the polished results.

Many thanks Aaron.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 31, 2019, 10:39 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Spent the day sanding the fuse molds and the upper half of the wing mold. There are a few small imperfections in the wing mold that all occurred in the glue joint between the corian sheets. They are not that deep but rather than sand them out I am going to fill them with corian glue and re-sand. I would have done that today but I only have two non-reusable glue tips left so I figured I would wait until I get the other mold and if it needs any filling I will do them both at the same time just to be safe.

I also took time today to make mylar fabric and core material templates for the wing and fabric templates for the fuse. On the wing I start by laying wax paper over the wing cavity and then filling it with #7 1/2 lead shot. This presses the paper firmly into the mold and wont let it move while I carefully cut it out with a razor blade. The shot is then pulled from the mold and put back in the reloading room and the wax paper is taped to a piece of mylar. Before I do this I go around the edges of the wax paper with a black marker so when it is taped down to the mylar you have a nice clean easy to see line to cut around.

That works great for wing molds but not so much for the deeper more shapely fuse mold. On it I firmly placed long strips of overlapping 2 inch wide painters tape into the mold, trim around the edges, and carefully remove then press flat to mylar and cut out.

The only other thing I did today was take a few small pieces or corian and check them for compatibility with the mold cleaner, conditioner, and release agent I want to use on the wing molds. That all seemed to work great but I won't know for sure until I try to pull the glass and carbon layups I did on them tomorrow.

I am going to cut fabric in the morning and try to get my first fuse and a tail layed up.
Sep 01, 2019, 11:18 AM
Certifiable User
Seems like CA is the only proven way to laminate corian slabs together. Thin viscosity is key, the thinner the layer of glue the better. I've messed around trying to repair these joins but the biggest problem is that bonding to the Acrylic resin is difficult and thin feathered edges have little strength.

If anyone can make it work, Aaron can

Cheers
Lee
Sep 03, 2019, 07:09 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
I got the second (bootom) wing mold from FedEx late today. As Steven noted it does have a large chip right in the center where there was an air bubble between the layers. I am glad I held off on glue filling the first mold.

I decided to take a chisel to the edges of the chip hole and break off any other material that was not firmly glued together. It made the hole almost twice as big but I am confident that the repair will be that much more stable now. Pics to follow after repair. Still going to try for this weekend maiden.
Sep 03, 2019, 07:58 PM
A dream will find you

A small benefit...

The bubble is in the center of the wing. It will therefore be hidden from both view and airstream.

Good idea to chip away at anything that might break free, but I would not think you need to work too hard.

Keep us to speed please. Cores are coming.
Sep 09, 2019, 08:52 PM
You guys are amazing. You team must have several plane designs in production. Impressive.

Tom F.
Sep 09, 2019, 09:07 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
I had to take a little break as our local power club had its annual RC Airshow this last weekend that I had totally forgotten about until last Thursday. That's all over now so it is back to playing with my 4 foot chubby! More pics and updates soon.
Sep 09, 2019, 09:13 PM
A dream will find you

True...

The next step for us in my opinion is to do away with a male fuselage plug and go direct to female. Aaron is interested in something in the 2.5 meter span range, and Pete is interested in the 72" span range with a V-tail. They already have concept art. I want to do a large (100" span) electric sport aircraft with fixed drag linked landing gear made by Pete. More is coming. Should be much to discuss and celebrate at Slopefest. Personally speaking, I feel we are just getting our sea legs.
Sep 09, 2019, 09:19 PM
Steve: What would you think of a front side 60" racer with 4 to 5 degrees of Dihedral, and 4 or 5 degrees of Anhedral wing tips? V-tail in back.

Tom f.
Sep 09, 2019, 09:37 PM
A dream will find you

Something for you?

For you Tom? Are you serious or thinking on getting there?

Lots of V-angle...Would you be thinking on a 2 channel model or RES? (Rudder, Elevator, Spoiler) Oh god, that will happen for me at some point. I think a two channel/RES speeder would be over the top big, big, big fun. RES is a very underrated form factor. I don't think anyone has done it with speed/slope in mind. Very easy to fly and huge big sky fun. I've also toyed with Sheer as an ultra super cruising RES model.

Yeah? Too much to dream last night? Too much coffee? Coming to SlopeFest? CAD by campfire?

---

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFlyer
Steve: What would you think of a front side 60" racer with 4 to 5 degrees of Dihedral, and 4 or 5 degrees of Anhedral wing tips? V-tail in back.

Tom f.
Last edited by StevenSeim; Sep 09, 2019 at 09:49 PM.
Sep 09, 2019, 10:43 PM
RES is like rear wheel steering on a car. Wings for RES have dihedral at least 2 panel joints each side of the middle dihedral. Ok for slow thermal flying. Not so good for pylon turns.
Tom t.
Sep 09, 2019, 11:18 PM
A dream will find you

Non conformist...

Thrust SSC had rear wheel steering.

Understood, but I do not pylon race. (looking forward to chasing Chubbies though I must say, electric and and not)

What I have in mind are concepts I want for myself. They do no necessarily adhere to any fixed thing, but they could if the builder(s) want that.

Why stayed fixed on a course when you can have the entire mountain, transmitter on the hip, right stick only, left hand free.
Sep 09, 2019, 11:42 PM
When and where is this SlopeFest?
Tom f.
Sep 10, 2019, 12:53 AM
A dream will find you

Cape Blanco State Park...

I'm leaving Monday the 16th. I might leave the 15th.

Grab your linen and start your grinnin.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...at-Cape-Blanco
Sep 10, 2019, 10:23 AM
Oh, the Slopefest at Cape Blanco. Weather does not look the greatest. Best wind looks like Wednesday afternoon.

Have fun and good luck. I would love to go, but wife is having knee surgery and the honey due list is long to complete before.

Tom f.

PS: If I was going I would love to discuss what can be done in wing tip design to minimise tip stall. Washout is the classic answer since that changes the angle of attack. But I think that there are solutions that do not decrease the wing efficiency.
Last edited by TomFlyer; Sep 10, 2019 at 01:30 PM.

Quick Reply