Aug 21, 2019, 06:18 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
After talking with Steven about the leading edge treatment he is milling into the wing molds I have decided to do something similar on the fuse molds. I modified my scraper to take an extra little bit of clay from the fillet right next to the plug. In theory this should give me a lip on the mold that I can block sand off and leave me with a nice sharp edge on the parting plane.

Any thoughts on this? Anyone?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2019, 08:56 PM
pnc
pnc
Hmmm sounds good to me
Aug 21, 2019, 10:45 PM
A dream will find you

Agreed...

That is a good idea, and the results should/will be excellent. You want that nice, crisp line to be sure.

The riser proved very effective on Sheer's wing and stab, a feature Killer wanted. Notice how the wing mold polished out smartly. As a final step, tickle the riser off. The photo of the closed mold shows the results. (Notice as well the airfoils cusp is maintained)

The lower surface mold is completed, trimmed and ready for shipment. The laminated blocks on the table are for WindFire Fuselage plugs. one is being crushed flat by marble as the (yellow) glue sets and cures. The mold shows a small amount of irregularity between the Corian layers at the wing root, and this can be treated. As a result, I am definitely going to experiment with laminating Corian with epoxy soaked brown construction paper, laminated under vacuum. Would like to know more about laminating sheets with CA, but something about that process is frightening to me.

This mold was carved with an optimization that combines multiple short G1, 2 and 3 movements into a single arc. Highly adjustable, the resulting part file size is large. (10 meg for this piece) The finer the adjustment, the larger the file/machine run time. The results are shown. This is how the surface came off the machine. Straight to polish.

In contact with a fellow that is using treated MDF/HDF to mold 10 meter wing panels as single piece units. I still think this is a medium that needs to be explored. Recall Aaron got 150 grams of resin into the fuselage plug. If an MDF mold were carved slightly oversized, the material can be soaked with penetrating epoxy, epoxy massaged with heat or a combination of both. If the oversized blank was mounted to a vacuum table, vacuum would assist in penetration. Just run the money cut. This technique is fairly common. Supposedly the molds are long lived if you prep them well. I personally would 'woodpecker' the mold thoroughly and apply a final coat of epoxy/ATH prior to running the final cut. From there, polish.

More coming.
Last edited by StevenSeim; Aug 21, 2019 at 11:05 PM.
Aug 22, 2019, 01:12 PM
pnc
pnc
Is that a Clark Y airfoil???

Lolol
Aug 22, 2019, 05:06 PM
A dream will find you

You know your stuff...

Clark Y it is, modded a wee bit.
Aug 24, 2019, 12:33 PM
pnc
pnc
You are doing some great work Steven
Aug 24, 2019, 04:14 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
My favorite tooling coat seems to have expired so I have decided to go with the reliable alternative. Epoxy, carbon, cabosil. One light tin coat followed in a few hours by a thicker, heavier coat, then epoxy/ATH fill.
Aug 24, 2019, 04:20 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
The EZ Lam tooling coat may be alright to use but after spending a week prepping the plugs i am not going to risk it. I made the Cervix fuse mold with this same mix and it has held up well. I did mix a small batch of the expired EZ Lam and I will wait and see how it sets up. I may not have to throw it away just yet.
Aug 26, 2019, 03:42 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
A nice and slick release!
Aug 26, 2019, 04:58 PM
A dream will find you

Terrific!

Nice work man. Great timing as well.

Check your mail...
Aug 26, 2019, 05:07 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Just got a pic from Steven of the new wing mold candy. Sweet
Aug 26, 2019, 09:27 PM
pnc
pnc
This is going to be fun
Aug 27, 2019, 05:51 AM
Rock Breaker
Looking good.
Must copy your methods on my fuse moulds.
Aug 30, 2019, 08:30 PM
A dream will find you

Sweating bullets...

Very concerned, I looked to learn delivery status on the molds. I put 'Do not bend, please' notes on the boxes. The upper surface mold had 8 pounds (!) removed from the blocks to produce the result, and I am worried about shipping. Oy!

Turns out one mold was delivered, the other due Tuesday coming. Within the process of discovery I learned of research into the appropriate motor/battery/controller combo. Within that I learned of documented interest in FFC and is coming availability. This is a good thing.

A flying article should be covered here shortly.
Aug 30, 2019, 10:41 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
I have been polishing away for the last few hours on the top mold. in the morning i am going to have to fill in a few very small occlusions but it is nothing to worry about at all. This mold looks fantastic! Steven did a most excellent job on them and if I work steady through the weekend and the other side of the mold shows up there may be a small chance of a first flight report by Sept 8th. Lot's more details and pics to come!

Quick Reply