Jul 24, 2019, 08:19 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Build Log

The making of a Four Foot Chubby! (FFC)

With the (highly) successful flights of the latest iterations of Shear, namely the Chubby, Tweety, and FPS it only makes sense to continue this stellar lineage created by Steven Seim with a 48 inch version paired with an all new electric fuselage. I am fortunate enough to be the one who gets to build these wicked little beasts and after seeing the concept drawings from Steven I can't wait to get started. Updates and flight reports are coming soon but here a few pics to wet your whistle....
Last edited by JarheadFlyer; Jul 24, 2019 at 10:06 PM. Reason: correcting a mistake... an ongoing issue for me
to remove ads between posts
Jul 24, 2019, 09:12 PM
A dream will find you

FFC tests our group...

A challenge to our coordination and our ability to truly rapid prototype, in that multiple airframes need to be ready by the third week of September.

It's a great thought to think on arriving at the fly site with a Four Foot Chubby.

Fuselage blocks will be cut tomorrow first thing.
Last edited by StevenSeim; Jul 24, 2019 at 10:13 PM.
Jul 24, 2019, 09:24 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Oh poop! Got the title wrong and it doesn't appear that I can edit it now..... oh well the show goes on.
Jul 24, 2019, 09:42 PM
A dream will find you

Go Advanced young man...

Edit your thread, and choose the 'Go Advanced' button option. You will have the option to change your title. You can also have fun with the 'Reason' button.

Would be nice to have the ability to delete a post you authored. Would also be nice to see a 'Like' function incorporated as well on a per post basis.
Last edited by StevenSeim; Jul 24, 2019 at 09:46 PM. Reason: I had too much to dream last night...
Jul 24, 2019, 10:07 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
and once again..... Thank you Steven!
Last edited by JarheadFlyer; Jul 24, 2019 at 10:08 PM. Reason: This learnin stuff be kinda funnnn
Aug 04, 2019, 08:47 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Steven informed me today that the new electric motor version of the Chubby fuse plugs have been completed! I will be shipping up preglued corian blocks to him this next week for the wing molds. This project will come together fast. I am guessing we will have the first flight reports by the end of the month or very early in Sept.
Aug 04, 2019, 10:45 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Looks great!!
Aug 05, 2019, 02:45 AM
Auzzie built planks
3KW , FFC..... that will be fun
Latest blog entry: More colours
Aug 05, 2019, 07:22 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
Just for fun. These are fresh out of the mold Tweety wing and tail for Steven. Finally getting used to using milled cores.
Aug 05, 2019, 08:47 PM
A dream will find you

Oh god...

That Tweety Chubby is for me !?!

My living god. What a finish. Holy cow. Far more than a model, this is a flying trophy.

Absolutely stunning. Wow. How on earth did you know I'm into Japanese? And you had/have strong interest in graphic design? Most excellent. Wow.

It is not wholly possible for me to convey my thanks and the extent to which I'm totally floored. You really did right Aaron. I personally think there is great power and freedom in telling the artist you have no finish restriction or preference. Order a Chubby and you get what you get. There is power in that. I also like Pete's heavy Chubby. Minimalist. Bare minimum. Great finish on that model.

Anyway; sticking with a theme of composite fabrication...For lite/ultra lite builds, foam cores are machined to fit in the mold. Exact size, the thickness of the skin schedule plus the mold itself compresses the foam slightly for a terrific bond. The trailing edge is not thickened. It's a bit of a mess, but the trailing edge of the wing is bonded firmly with this technique. 1/8" is trimmed off all the way around the core. This accounts for spooge on mold close. Killer has well honed techniques with machined cores, Lite/Ultra Lite Sheer being an example.

The fin plug; when compressed in the mold, provides the pressure needed to force the schedule against the mold surface. When working with an inflation bladder, plugs that fill wing fillets, vertical fins, all protrusions keep the balloon from invading that space and bursting. Good stuff, easy to do.

More is coming. Many thanks to you Aaron.
Aug 05, 2019, 10:45 PM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Nice work Aaron! That just printed tissue or something else?

Been thinking about a light synergy for ya...
Aug 05, 2019, 11:00 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
I have not had a lot of luck with printed tissues. They look ok but the colors never pop. I have gone to printed cotton fabrics behind two layers of 1/2 oz glass. Heavier, yes, but the effect is worth it in my opinion.
Aug 05, 2019, 11:01 PM
Loving Lee's Slope Slut
Thread OP
no rush on the synergy Alex.
Aug 06, 2019, 12:39 AM
A dream will find you

True for me as well...

I have a collection of hand made tissue cuts from Japan. I bagged a couple into a wing, but the ink/dye faded quickly.

Laser toner on plain bond paper is very compatible with epoxy. The paper itself can be part of the skin schedule. Recall brown paper construction was popular with the Brits not all that long ago in the construction of slope models. the schedule was 'Woodpeckered' underneath the finish layer.

FedEx/Kinkos have large plotters available. The local shop here uses plain bond paper. That's important. Clay coated stock is not correct. At 36" wide, you can have them print up some really spiff full span graphics for your molds.
Aug 06, 2019, 01:48 AM
Remember... Fly for fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarheadFlyer
no rush on the synergy Alex.
Couldn't start yet anyway, need to get more fabric.

Well I like the effect, I have some if those cheap cotton flags I was planning on putting in something

Quick Reply