Jul 23, 2019, 06:35 PM
Thread OP
Question

Spectra control lines

I'm getting back into C/L after being out of the sport for a long time. I've heard about spectra and spiderwire being used for control lines instead of steel. I've heard the advantages of it being lighter, Less drag, minimal stretch, less prone to kinks, and being at least as strong as steel lines as long as the proper knot is used to terminate the lines. I'm building a 40 sized Electric stunt plane. I also might try a combat plane as well if I can find an opponent in the area to fly with. I found a thread on another site about it but the thread was from 2009. I think it should have been vetted out in ten years. So can anyone bring me up to date on the subject? Any opinions would be appreciated. What the up to date scoop?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2019, 07:19 PM
The AMA site has rules for it's use. I think the 100 lb test is what is used for the .40 size. They still want the .018" dimension. There is a newer Quadra or Quatro or something that is just as strong but a fair bit thinner. If not competing you can just go a bit stronger than the pull test that you figure you will need, and check it often. The combat guys love it.

Quick Reply