Aug 04, 2019, 02:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCX2020
In regards to rear support, some guys like myself prefer a soft mount for electric power. It not only makes them even quieter, it makes small thrust adjustments super easy.

My second question is about ESC requirements. This appears to be a 20 pole motor? What ESC's are reccomended? Some of the currently available ECS's have issues keeping sync with the 20+ pole motors . I have a local guy that has a Hacker Q80 and has tried a CC HV 80 and an OS/Futaba OHC1100 with no joy.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-with-Mezon-95
to remove ads between posts
Aug 15, 2019, 07:31 PM
Thread OP

Motors are in the web store

Update ---I have put the F3A motors on the web site---we have only a limited number available until more arrive in a month or so. Here is a link to the web store page :https://neumotors.cartloom.com/store...uct/f3a-drives. We added a 5mm stub shaft that is 8mm long out the rear of the motor shaft so those that want to use a rear support bearing have a shaft for it to run on. The intro price is $259. We are offering some bundles with a carbon prop and Castle speed controller that get you 20% savings over the regular prices.

Steve Neu
Aug 15, 2019, 07:36 PM
Steve, for those of us who already have the motor will you be sending out the updated shafts?
Aug 15, 2019, 08:38 PM
Thread OP
We modify the shafts---you would need to send it in. Unless your plane really needs a rear support I would not bother. The motor does not need the extra support---it is quite strong.

Steve
Aug 15, 2019, 08:58 PM
Steve, virtually all modern F3A airplanes are going to need rear support. I strongly urge you to make the rear support standard. Not only do I require it for the airplane in which I manufacture but this past weekend at a contest I was showing the motor to several guys. A good amount of interest but virtually everyone asked about a rear mount. The issue is not that the existing mount on the motor is not strong enough, quite the contrary. IMO it is actually a bit overkill. The structure on a typical composite fuselage is just not strong enough to support single point mounting. Weight wise it is lighter to add the rear support then to build strength into the nose section. Then there are those like myself that will want to soft mount the motor. Being a competitive pilot whom is fairly known in both NSRCA districts 7 and 8 I am more then happy to promote your products ( I also fly ALES and F5J ) . Now that I have made a template of the front mount I will return the motor for the modified shaft.
Aug 16, 2019, 01:08 AM
Thread OP
Future production motors will have the stub shafts as a standard feature.

Steve
Aug 16, 2019, 09:20 AM
Our motor is currently on the way to the machine shop as I type this to have a bolt on stub made for a rear support.
Aug 20, 2019, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
We added a rear 5mm bearing stub shaft to the stock we have on the shelf---so for those that order one now it will come with the stub shaft in the rear.

A local friend installed one of the first of our new F3A motors in his plane and went flying this weekend for the first time. I got to fly it---very smooth throttle response with more than enough power. I am happy with how it turned out. Looking forward to hearing what others think.

Steve Neu
Nov 22, 2019, 12:56 PM
Thread OP
Update:

We made some small changes to the F3A 8012 motors----they all now have the 5mm rear stub shaft for those that want to have a back bearing support. In addition we revised the 8mm titanium shaft with so it has threads to accommodate the integrated type collet prop adapter. In addition the lead wires have been strain relieved. Other specs remain the same. Some pictures are attached.

These are in stock and ready to ship.

Steve
Nov 22, 2019, 07:26 PM
Got any more pictures of the collet from the side view? Is it adjustable? This motor worked very well in the Dave Patrick build. I'm looking to get one for my next project
Nov 25, 2019, 01:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nappyroots2182
Got any more pictures of the collet from the side view? Is it adjustable? This motor worked very well in the Dave Patrick build. I'm looking to get one for my next project
The collet setup is similar to other F3A motors using a threaded 8mm shaft.

Steve
Nov 26, 2019, 09:30 AM
Looking good !
Nov 26, 2019, 12:07 PM
Has anyone tried a Falcon CF 19.5x13 inch 3 blade prop on this motor?
Nov 26, 2019, 06:57 PM
The motor is all really new. Probably no 3 blade tryers yet. I put a wide blade on Dave Patrick's Epic build and it was really nice torque and good downline braking.
Nov 26, 2019, 08:06 PM
The motor is rated at 230kv which is higher than the typical 210kv or so for an F3A motor. Current draw could be very high, especially on a 3 blade prop. On the other hand the difference in KV could just be a difference in measurement techniques.

Quick Reply