Jul 23, 2019, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

NeuMotors F3A Outrunner

We have a new motor for F3A class models. The first few early production versions have been assembled and are starting testing. The basic specs for the new 8012/225/F3A are as follows:

Kv 225
Resistance: 0.021 ohms
noload current 0.9 amps
weight 580 grams--20.5 oz
largest diameter: 94mm
Output shaft : 8mm titanium
Built in cooling fan.
Battery: 10S 4000-5000mAh

The 8012 F3A is based the 80X series motors that have been out for a couple years. We redesigned the mechanical components to reduce weight while retaining the strength that the 80XX motors are known for.

Estimated retail cost will be about $300 with a introductory price of $259. Motors will be available for sale after testing is finished in a couple weeks.

Steve Neu
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2019, 07:34 PM
Will there be the possibility to have a rear support, possibly by extended shaft or?
Jul 23, 2019, 08:57 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsxl52
Will there be the possibility to have a rear support, possibly by extended shaft or?
You want to but another bearing on a shaft extending out the back of the motor? We would need to make a new shaft but it would be
possible.

The front mounting plate is very strong and has 6xM5 screws to attach to the bulkhead---the motor does not need additional support.

Steve
Jul 23, 2019, 10:03 PM
In regards to rear support, some guys like myself prefer a soft mount for electric power. It not only makes them even quieter, it makes small thrust adjustments super easy.

My second question is about ESC requirements. This appears to be a 20 pole motor? What ESC's are reccomended? Some of the currently available ECS's have issues keeping sync with the 20+ pole motors . I have a local guy that has a Hacker Q80 and has tried a CC HV 80 and an OS/Futaba OHC1100 with no joy.
Last edited by DCX2020; Jul 23, 2019 at 10:08 PM.
Jul 24, 2019, 08:19 AM
Thread OP
The 8012 is a 16 pole motor. Testing so far has been with a Castle Edge HV 120 Lite controller programmed to "out runner mode". Throttle is responsive and smooth---no issues at all.

Steve
Jul 24, 2019, 08:46 AM
Good to know Steve. I am definitely interested in giving one of these a try. I will be gearing up to build a new Divergent in a couple of months when the weather turns cold. Having the motor in hand prior to doing the fuselage lay up would be a big plus. 220KV equates to about a 20x13 which I am running on my current setup and it's good to know that my OS/Futaba ESC's will work. The only remaining question still relates to the shaft. Being Titanium it will need a collet type prop adapter I assume, will that be included?
Jul 24, 2019, 11:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCX2020
Good to know Steve. I am definitely interested in giving one of these a try. I will be gearing up to build a new Divergent in a couple of months when the weather turns cold. Having the motor in hand prior to doing the fuselage lay up would be a big plus. 220KV equates to about a 20x13 which I am running on my current setup and it's good to know that my OS/Futaba ESC's will work. The only remaining question still relates to the shaft. Being Titanium it will need a collet type prop adapter I assume, will that be included?
We have both steel collets and aluminum collets for the 8mm shafts---so yes we have that covered. In future batches of the F3A motor we could extend a stub---maybe 8mm in length out the back end of the motor for those that want to put a extra bearing to support things.

Steve
Jul 24, 2019, 11:50 AM
That would be awesome. A bearing could easily be held in place with an aluminum collar or if you would have the shaft made with a groove, a snap ring would be better. I know more added cost. The price point is really attractive. Right in line with the Himax. The Dualsky that I am currently running works well but is a tad heavy and there is no US support. A reliable lower cost, user friendly , lower cost F3A power package definitely has the potential to boost pattern participation. Very well done Steve.
Jul 24, 2019, 12:01 PM
I think we are trying one in our Dave Patrick build. But I'm thinking about one for my zonda. The price is great and will be a nice seller
Jul 24, 2019, 05:14 PM
Steve, I took the liberty of posting pictures on Facebook. Very positive responses so far.
Jul 25, 2019, 06:51 PM
I think without some shaft out the back for a rear mount, alot of people will hesitate to buy.
Jul 26, 2019, 07:33 PM
I know the AXI 8112 does not incorporate a rear support, but needed it. I know someone that installed it and ended up fabricating one.
Jul 26, 2019, 07:40 PM
Agreed, it's not so much that the stock front mount pictured would be an issue, it's that the nose sections of most current designs aren't particularly strong . The rear support is needed to spread the load over a larger area.
Aug 03, 2019, 07:16 AM
Received ours. Looks great. Will need to find the prop adaptor and motor mount asap to get started on the Epic build
Aug 03, 2019, 08:48 AM
I found a prop adapter at Espit models. For a mount I am just going to cut one from CF plate and epoxy into the fuselage, hard mount using 3 of the 6 lugs.

Quick Reply