Aug 07, 2019, 10:48 PM
I am lucky to have bought a stock pile of Esaki when Peck first shut down, got it dirt cheap with other supplies and kits. I know it does not help much but the new white tissue that Guillows supplies is pretty close to Esaki. The problem is they only have white but it looks just like Esaki.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2019, 01:18 PM
Esaki also makes (made?) a little known tissue called Superlight. It is a conventional tissue, lighter than the mulberry bark Esaki tissue we are used to but not as light as the gampi fiber Gampi tissue. This is what the model books from the 30s called "superfine". It has no wet strength but can be applied dry and shrunk with water or alcohol. I have a small stock of it, about 45 sheets left, that I received by mistake when I ordered Esaki. I use it for my prototyping work to keep my Esaki stock available for my kits although it is available in my kits if you ask for it.

KF
Nov 15, 2019, 03:46 PM
Intermediate Multi
I heard that Esaki production will shut down. What do we do once the supply dries up? Has anyone ever tried a domestic brand that even comes close?
Nov 15, 2019, 07:48 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
I tried some "hallmark domestic, not water proof but shrinks fairly well and comes in different colors, best part of all is ya get 6 BIG sheets for $3 it gets tougher if ya spray some dope on it or clear krylon

Our club just offerd some gampi paper that looks pretty good 5 big 30x40 sheets for $4, the stuff I got was white and very lite/strong and the closet thing Ive come to esaki, just wondering how to make it colored
Last edited by lectroglide; Nov 17, 2019 at 07:48 PM.
Nov 16, 2019, 12:27 PM
Intermediate Multi
I'd like to experiment with airbrushed mylar, to see if I could duplicate the tissue look - at least from a few feet away. A light dusting might maintain the proper translucence.
Nov 17, 2019, 03:44 PM
The tissue that comes in the 500 series Guillow's kits can be used to cover wet. You just have to be a little more gentle with it than with Esaki.

I have found some tissues from dollar stores that have wet strength and are colorfast, however, the dollar stores don't always get their tissue from the same suppliers so even if you've found a good one trying to buy it again is a crap shoot.

KF
Nov 17, 2019, 07:32 PM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyfritters
The tissue that comes in the 500 series Guillow's kits can be used to cover wet. You just have to be a little more gentle with it than with Esaki.

I have found some tissues from dollar stores that have wet strength and are colorfast, however, the dollar stores don't always get their tissue from the same suppliers so even if you've found a good one trying to buy it again is a crap shoot.

KF
I tried and still have some $store stuff great colors but has no wet strength, or maybe I got the wrong batch
Nov 18, 2019, 05:22 PM
Diesel Danny

Another source of tissue

This might be worthwhile checking out https://fmk-models.com/dope-tissue-coverings-11-c.asp

* Danny M *
Nov 18, 2019, 07:54 PM
You should have all done what I did and bought 50 sheets of each colour in the Esaki boxes.
Nov 18, 2019, 10:28 PM
Bingo!
Nov 19, 2019, 12:43 AM
BOYCOTT SCAMAZON
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
You should have all done what I did and bought 50 sheets of each colour in the Esaki boxes.
hey I know , you can send us some
Nov 19, 2019, 10:16 AM
Just a thought guys. Instead of the considerable attention and energy thus far expended in this, "{the endless droning group wallow commiseration fest" over the passing of an apparently essential and vital modeling material, why not channel all this negativity into an actual positive? This is where one can take opportunity to expand one's model building horizons, learn to use new/old/different possibly even better (to each ones own preference) materials.

Esaki is dead. Let's all buy a " Wet Strength" T-shirt and move on, shall we?. How long are we going to keep kicking this particular dead horse??????????
Nov 19, 2019, 11:46 AM
AeroDan
Right now, Easy Built Models of Prattville, Alabama, offers Mt. Fuji Tissue. They swear by it. www.easybuiltmodels.com
Nov 19, 2019, 01:30 PM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by packardpursuit
Just a thought guys. Instead of the considerable attention and energy thus far expended in this, "{the endless droning group wallow commiseration fest" over the passing of an apparently essential and vital modeling material, why not channel all this negativity into an actual positive? This is where one can take opportunity to expand one's model building horizons, learn to use new/old/different possibly even better (to each ones own preference) materials.

Esaki is dead. Let's all buy a " Wet Strength" T-shirt and move on, shall we?. How long are we going to keep kicking this particular dead horse??????????
Thank you Dr. Phil. This thread started off talking about a potential Esaki shortage. More recent information indicates that now Esaki has been discontinued altogether. That's a whole different scenario isn't it? .........and, just for the record, I will wallow exactly as much and as long as I feel like it.
Nov 19, 2019, 01:32 PM
Intermediate Multi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gossie
No wonder there's a shortage.

Quick Reply