Aug 17, 2019, 09:40 PM
Thread OP

My Jetex Rocket powered glider

Hi Guys,
I took a brake from the flying wing and finished my Switcher II rocket glider today!
Joe
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2019, 12:43 AM
As a kid, I built 1 or 2 of those. Back then we couldn't imagine they could one day be radio controlled. Nor could I have imagined one day flying in slope and thermal conditions with the amount of control we now have.
Aug 18, 2019, 01:05 PM
Thread OP

1951 Flying wing landing gear

Here is a photo of the landing gear! If you use a folding prop you will not need it! I made the fire wall removable. Ok Back to it! I always like to make sure all is good before going forward!
Joe
Aug 24, 2019, 11:04 AM
Thread OP

New Landing Gear Skid design

Hi Guys,
I redesigned the landing gear for grass and its a nice hand hold for launching it! What do you think? Are electronics are installed and tested fine!! weight is 10 oz. like it is with out the battery!!! That is RTF less covering and battery.
Joe
Last edited by Joe Pierson; Aug 24, 2019 at 12:33 PM.
Sep 02, 2019, 03:56 PM
Thread OP

Started on the covering

Hi Guys,
I got started on the covering, and installing to motor and electronics! Getting there, just trying to make it look nice! I am adding a small fin on the bottom, as a Hand hold, and for landing to keep the prop up out of the grass!
Joe
Sep 02, 2019, 10:58 PM
Is the bottom of the fin/skid close to the balance point? If not, it can cause some nose-up or nose-down on landing. Hate to see anything damage that lovely ship.

What is the sweep angle? It seems quite sharp. 30 degrees on the leading edge?
Sep 03, 2019, 09:51 AM
Thread OP
Hi Ed,
Yes the fin is on the CG. And yes 30 degrees on the leading edge
Joe
Sep 06, 2019, 08:58 PM
Thread OP

Covering is done

HI guys,
Covering is done, still have to get the CG done, and top hatches installed! Weight is 11oz. !! then some testing! Top hatch will be removable !
Joe
Sep 07, 2019, 01:53 AM
You know nothing....
Very nice!I like the way you’ve curved the covering at the wing root.
I bet if you posted the dimensions on the 3D print forum you could get a cowl made to cover the motor at minimal cost.
Sep 07, 2019, 07:55 AM
opcornA beautiful job! That hard-mounted prop looks like having a short life expectancy, and could cause a tumble on landing.
I assume you'll use a shock-mount for flight?

Anxiously awaiting flight videos!
Sep 13, 2019, 01:42 PM
Thread OP

Built a Cowl for it

Hi Guys,
I added a cowl that I made for it! I think it looks better? Now on to Installing the Elevons to the wing. The are sown using thread to the wing! More later.
Joe
Sep 14, 2019, 07:23 AM
Now it's far too pretty to go flying!

The last time I tried sown thread hinges was on a U-control back in the 1960's! I may have to revisit the method.

Quick Reply