This thread is privately moderated by Mad_angler1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 22, 2019, 05:51 PM
Bog Flusher Platinum Grade
Thread OP
New Product

New DJI RONIN-SC Mirrorless Camera Gimbal

DJI have launched a new version of the Ronin called the Ronin-SC

The Ronin-SC is a single handed gimbal for mirrorless cameras that can support models up to 2kg and provides 3 axis stabilised footage whilst on the move.

Being smaller and lighter than the S the Ronin-SC weights just 1.1kg and is specifically designed to be used with mirrorless cameras such as the Panasonic GH5, Sony A7 and A6500 Series among others.

This new smaller Ronin-SC has many of the features that we have already seen on the original Ronin-S however DJI have added a number of new features such as ActiveTrack 3.0 and Force Mobile.

Here is my video overview and review of the Ronin-SC Pro Combo

DJI RONIN-SC PRO COMBO OVERVIEW & REVIEW HANDS ON WITH GH5 (12 min 58 sec)

If you would like more info or to order the SC checkout the below link

https://click.dji.com/ABic0xam9mzfbn...=0045&ch=RCGSC

New Design

DJI have overhauled the arm design of the Ronin-SC, this means that the arms don’t clash in most cases and that it now folds away a lot easier and will fit back into its case even when balanced for most cameras.

Another change is DJI have added locks onto each arm allowing you to lock them in the storage or balance position, this makes a massive difference and it means when carrying they are not spinning around hitting them selves.

As mentioned you can also lock them into the balance position so you can balance each axis much simpler.

Setup

Setting the SC up is very similar to the S with adjustment screws on the arms, however unlike the S the roll arm is fixed at the motor and to adjust the balance for this the whole camera mount moves in and out instead. Mounting your camera has also changed with a new smaller plate, this screws to the base of your camera and slides into the mount and its tightened via the thumb screw below.

This new plate is also Arca Swiss compatible and should fit most AS type ball heads.

Camera Connection

The Ronin-SC now uses a USB C port on the back of the pitch arm for connecting to your camera, there are no 12v power ports on the SC however it is able to charge compatible Sony models like the A7 via the USB port directly.

Camera Control

Just like the S with supported camera models you can control functions like the shutter, start and stop recording and pull focus (Pro Edition) via the built-in controls on the main body, it also means the Ronin SC can automatically fire the shutter in intelligent modes like Timelapse, Motionlapse and Track.

The Ronin-SC has also been shipped with an extensive list of compatible camera models out the door and DJI have created a specific list with various camera and lens combinations thats been tested.

Focus Control

The Ronin-SC Pro Combo includes the DJI Focus Controller and an all new SC Focus Motor.

This is substantially smaller and lighter than the original focus for the Ronin-S and allows you to use manual lenses or get better focus pull over the built in focus motor in your lens.

Smart Features

Just like the Ronin S the SC has built in smart modes like Motionlapse, Timelapse and Track modes however DJI have also introduced two new features

Active Track 3.0

DJI have added a new feature called Active Track that allows you to use your phone and its camera to track subjects on the Ronin SC. To use this you mount your phone on top of your camera via an included phone holder and via bluetooth 5.0 its tracks the subject on your phone and translates that movement to the gimbal

Force Mobile

This allows you to control the Ronin-SC movement directly from the gyro in your phone, this means you can mount it to a handle and its movement will be replicated on the gimbal itself.

Long Life

The Ronin SC has a new smaller 7.2v battery however this is still able to deliver unto 11 hours of use, this is charged by the USB C port on the front of the gimbal via a normal USB port.

Standard Combo vs Pro Combo

DJI have released two versions, both have enclosed the Ronin-SC, Tripod base, Phone holder, connection cables and fixings. The Pro Combo also includes the new SC Focus motor and Focus Controller.

Both versions come in the same foam case.

Overall

I have been using the new Ronin-SC for a week now and having used the Ronin-S extensively I have to say I am extremely impressed with this new version from DJI.

I am a GH5 user and for me the S was always a little overkill in most situations, in use the Ronin-SC feels substantially lighter and it performs just as well. The new Force Mobile and ActiveTrack features work very well and when mounting your phone on top of your camera you will need to totally rebalance the gimbal however once it’s properly setup it’s hard not to be impressed with how well this new feature works.

Being designed for smaller mirrorless models you will need to take lens size into account and think about your setup a little more with the SC as it’s not going to give you full range of movement with longer lens setups.

Overall I think DJI have done a great job with the Ronin-SC, while the SC is not designed to replace the S for me it’s what the S should have been from day one and fits my needs perfectly, it’s a very welcome addition to the Ronin line for smaller mirrorless users.

Price wise the SC comes in quite a bit cheaper as well and is $439 for the Standard kit and $539 for the Pro Combo with the Focus Motor and Controller.

For more information on the Ronin-SC or to order you will find it here.

https://click.dji.com/ABic0xam9mzfbn...=0045&ch=RCGSC

Please note the above links are affiliate links, if you would like to support me you can by using these links at no additional cost to you self, only by you using these can I continue to do what I do with reviews and how too videos.
Latest blog entry: HDZero Micro V3 - 1080P Is Here
to remove ads between posts
Mar 29, 2021, 10:36 AM
Always Fly Two Mistakes High!
Nice review, I just purchased one and can't wait to get it out and taking photos and videos!
They are even cheaper now.

Quick Reply