This thread is privately moderated by UpNup, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 22, 2019, 11:17 AM
Who are these that fly?
Thread OP
Mini-HowTo

Painting WW2 Pilot in Khaki

Aces of Iron Products insisted on replacing the U.S. WW2 Fighter Pilot they sent due to some blemishes. This gave me the opportunity to paint one in a khaki color scheme. My figure is 1/7 scale.

Some tips to pass along:

1. Brush olive green paint into the folds of the coat and shadows.

2. Paint a very thin base color. A khaki camo rattle can spray was used making sure the dark colors showed through.

3. I wanted my pilot to have on a shirt and tie rather than an ascot. The tie and shirt collars were cut from a discarded foam elevator. CA was used to glue the pieces in place. The tie was painted khaki and shirt dark brown. The shirt was lightly dry-brushed with a lighter shade of brown to show some weathering. The tie was crammed in place and I left the wrinkles. They were glued at an angle to hide the lumpy ascot beneath.

4. Brush on enamel paints starting with the eyes and face. Generally follow the AoI painting tips. Enamels layer and don’t blend well. I’ve basically smeared the colors together using odorless mineral spirits on a clean brush.

5. Paint light colors to dark colors across the figure. It is okay to use gloss colors, but only if you plan to use a final lacquer coat at the end.

6. Touch up any spots that need to be brought back in line.

7. Washes: Mix one drop of brown paint with 10 drops of odorless mineral spirits. Use the wash on the life vest and white straps. Some can be used on the face, adding steaks below the eyes and in the corners. Mix one drop black and 10 drops mineral spirits to smear over the helmet and jacket.

8. Spray a light coat of clear matte finish lacquer over the nearly-completed pilot. It may be necessary to spray a bit in a pan and brush it into crevices. If it hazes, rub the dry paint with petroleum jelly to restore the colors.

9. Save the silver paint until the dull coat dries. This keeps it bright and “pops.” A matte spray can turn silver into tarnished steel or even gray.

10. Finally, drip 5-minute epoxy into the lenses, allowing each one to dry before filling the other. Dab any bubbles with a toothpick to get rid of them before it sets.
Last edited by UpNup; Jul 22, 2019 at 01:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply