Aug 02, 2019, 03:59 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ
Yes please, upload it to thingiverse :-)
My nozzle is a little dinged up from the packaging.
Is the stock outlet diameter good or do we want a change?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2019, 04:11 AM
SJ
SJ
It is perfect. I would not change anything. Great thrust and speed, and the long flight times im getting must indicate low amps.... cant be better.

As always great video from the cool dudes. :-)

Avios MiG-17 Fresco Jet Fighter 90mm EDF 1200mm (47.3") (PNF) Unboxing (26 min 57 sec)
Aug 02, 2019, 04:13 AM
tow
tow
Where do you find the user-manual for this thing? I`ve been scavenging thru the HobbyKing s sites but no luck :-(
Aug 02, 2019, 04:22 AM
SJ
SJ
its in the upload files section.

Remeber to install the carbon spar in the horizontal tail, as it is not shown in the manual :-)

https://cdn-global-hk.hobbyking.com/...manual_2.1.pdf
Aug 02, 2019, 04:54 AM
tow
tow
Thank You! :-)
Aug 02, 2019, 05:26 AM
Blue Remembered Hills

Red Star Fresco ready for maiden

All finished and ready for a maiden sortie tomorrow morning, should be fun!
Aug 02, 2019, 06:49 AM
SJ
SJ
Good luck

So, anybody else flown yet?
How did the neutral point of your elevator turn out.

Mine has quite a bit up, and that is even with the cg as aft as possible.
Aug 02, 2019, 06:50 AM
Nice. I definitely like the red stars.
Aug 02, 2019, 08:04 AM
Builder & Pilot
Seen - 5min later i got an email to confirm the order

i didn't think that i would order a Jet 2019, never say never
Aug 02, 2019, 08:15 AM
Retired US Navy
Peter, have you actually had a problem with the gear doors opening or staying open in flight? Since the gear hit an arm and force them closed if you do its an alignment problem.

Edwen, you need 7 for the Mig stock with the airbrakes (unless you Y them to something), if you want independent steering you need 8, if you want to sequence the doors through the radio that's 9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
Note that the Freewing F-18 Mechanical Main Gear Doors have flaws anyway!!!
If airflows in flight move the doors in just the 'right' way (err, wrong way?) then the gear hits the mechanism wrong and the Retract will stop before completing storage anyway!! This happens in enough cases for it to be a nuisance.
eg maybe if you are banking.... speed X.... yawing (or not?).... whatever..... then it occurs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwen303
My DX9 can do the sequencing with timing/slowing control. If do away with stock sequencer, guess at 7 Channel receiver is in order to sequence the gear and door.
Aug 02, 2019, 08:17 AM
Great piece of customer service from HK.
Having spoken to HK about the state of my Mig they have authorised a return. I have dropped the plane at the UK warehouse anticipating to return home empty handed.
The polite and helpful bloke at the warehouse not only come back with a new plane he insisted I should inspect everything which we did.
What an awesome customer service, thanks HK.
Aug 02, 2019, 08:44 AM
tow
tow
Quote:
The next issue I found was that there was no way I could get the Inner Gear Doors to Open full as required for the wheel to not hit AND close fully.
The servo arm positions are different for left and right sides, so even if you get one side working close to right, the other side 'gets worse'.
I did so much adjusting.... and moving the ball joint from one horn side to the other side of it, and back, and again.... with no solution ever working truly correctly... so I gave up on that.

I took out the sequencer and ran the doors off their own channels, seeing I have 12 available.
OpenTX can do the complex sequencing easily..... and doing this also gave me total control over each sides fully open and fully closed positions - so as to have no servo buzz also.

Oh, I also took out the Control Box because it prevented getting the Flaps truly equal, and Aileron centering exact etc. If you cannot control a servo independently, then you cannot centre it correctly. This also allows the Flaps to be 'homed' with no servo buzz.
So there was no point to keep the box in there.
Luckily the Elevator Servos were closely matched at center point, so I left those linked as per stock and it is no problem.

The Nose Gear Steering was also moved to its own channel, and 'gated' to not be steerable as soon as Retraction is activated - so it can't be turned and hit the nose gear doors as it goes through that gap.

"Flaps 20mm"... lol. 20mm measured where?
I just set up what I wanted..... about 20 deg for Take-Off Flaps, and 40deg approx for Landing Flaps. Plus I moved the Flap pushrods into the third hole (not the stock first hole) so that it uses almost the full servo range.

I changed the XT90 to my AS150/XT150 setup, to have anti-spark.

I finished it off after about 6 hours total time spent (not full time high focus though). The TX programming took an hour.....
Quite a lot of time as wasted on the gear doors, and the finnicky fixing of the ESC mount - working in the very limited space/access there.
Speaking of door-sequencer for the inner doors, The sequencer set-up is wrong. Inner doors should not close when gear is down but remain open. Nobody noticed?
Aug 02, 2019, 09:03 AM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by t01ga
Great piece of customer service from HK.
Having spoken to HK about the state of my Mig they have authorised a return. I have dropped the plane at the UK warehouse anticipating to return home empty handed.
The polite and helpful bloke at the warehouse not only come back with a new plane he insisted I should inspect everything which we did.
What an awesome customer service, thanks HK.
Itís all about PEOPLE and how they are treated, the biggest differentiator ! Good on HK..
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
Aug 02, 2019, 09:10 AM
Quote:
As far as QC goes, bar the "almost all cases will have it - ESC mount issue" mine was perfect. No dents... repaints.. warps...
Everything fits perfectly... bar a slightly bigger gap than 'nice' in one wing to fuselage joint at one mount

It is a bit 'last generation' in design, methods and quality..... some company TRYING to be a "Freewing/FMS"... but not there yet.
It is not as good as the Avios Sea Fury's. And not likely made by the same company. Or... it is was 'them', they got 'worse'.
And it is not HSD quality... maybe Taft (AF-Model ?). Or if it was a company that CAN make good models, they made it budget/cheaper.
There are so many "HSD/Taft"-like clues... err, maybe copies of things.... but just not the real quality.

To save money.. and thus cost.. they get the user to do quite a lot of the work that FMS/Freewing would supply it with done.
So all in all, you got what you paid for... not a bargain at all. (eg no pilot also etc)
That is OK.... and once competed it is a nice jet.

I would call it a level that is "Halfway from Dynam to Freewing"...... and that is what it COST also.....

Because I need to 'lock down' all the wiring tapes, I will WBPU it totally. That can still be sprayed over later.
It is also better to have that so it can be cleaned easier, and totally/properly.

For a brief second it almost appears like you know what you're talking about and you should be taken seriously. Then you hold out the sea fury as a glowing example and you've show all your cards. You do realise the sea fury was awful.

Its sad to see forums dying these days and Its really quite sad to see.
Last edited by NeptuneAlpha1; Aug 02, 2019 at 09:27 AM.
Aug 02, 2019, 09:51 AM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
Itís all about PEOPLE and how they are treated, the biggest differentiator ! Good on HK..
They have really stepped up as of late!! Looking forward to getting my Mig today... out for delivery!!!

Quick Reply