Oct 12, 2019, 07:44 PM
Foam addict
The retracts don’t bend. The wire attaching the leg to the retract does. It was plain to see the way the leg goes into the wheel well. It was also easy to bend it right back to where it should be. No harm to my retract mounting area. Pretty solid setup.
Perhaps some haven't noticed the movement using the stock wheels which are smaller than mine and have plenty of room in the wheel well. Others have commented on retracts not functioning after some flights. Could it be a bent wire being the culprit? I suspect it does as the one leg which had moved aft also failed to extend on one of my flights.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 12, 2019, 08:11 PM
Thanks Wilber and Orville !.
Great Retract scene investigation !
Oct 13, 2019, 08:34 AM
You would have to do something pretty amiss in landing to bend a retract pin on this Mig.
The Trailing Link design (and for any aircraft using them) almost negate that being possible unless it is a very bad impact - of some weird, not normal, angle etc.

MrSmoothie should have paid attention to the required nose gear fix. Without it you are just a lucky dip of until when it will happen....
The stock nose gear 'suspension' is non-existent = big bounce if you whack it in. And even if you don't whack it in! LOL. So it is just lose-lose if left as stock.
Oct 13, 2019, 10:19 AM
Foam addict
I really haven’t made any real carrier landings but the left leg did indeed bend slightly requiring straightening.
Again, I doubt many will notice using the stock wheels as they have extra room in the wheel wells.
Have to agree that the nose leg spring is too stiff. We replaced ours with a softer one.
Oct 13, 2019, 12:08 PM
Lithium Member
I believe on most MiG-17's the plastic styrene retract mount will pull right out before you'll be able to bend anything

There's some shoegoo type glue holding that thin styrene mount glued to the epo foam, and on mine if you just pulled a bit the whole thing will come out.

Different MiG-17's might have different amounts of shoegoo, but the the struts & pins are very strong.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0#post42596829

It will take some talent to bend the retract pins, at least on mine.
Oct 13, 2019, 12:22 PM
It's all about scale models!
Quote:
MrSmoothie should have paid attention to the required nose gear fix.
Yes, MrSmoothie should have!

When I got home and searched the thread, it became evident. I replaced the spring with one from a parts-bin, bent main strut used with both the Freewing ME-262 and DH Venom. Just right, I thought.

Repaired the main, used longer screws on the nose gear (two of the short ones pulled out), and was good to go. Made three flights this morning and all three landings were fine. I think the Mig is a great flyer -- as others have said, it's not a speed-demon, but plenty of juice to do the maneuvers in "my bag of trick" (haha), and do it scale fashion.

By the way, it should come as no surprise, that none of my struts were bent.

I know this is a matter of personal taste, and plenty of guys seem to like it -- but the kit pseudo-camo is horrible to me. It does what such camos were probably intended to do -- be visually disruptive -- and thus destroys the great lines of this interesting model in flight. I can't wait to repaint.
Oct 13, 2019, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
You would have to do something pretty amiss in landing to bend a retract pin on this Mig.
The Trailing Link design (and for any aircraft using them) almost negate that being possible unless it is a very bad impact - of some weird, not normal, angle etc.

MrSmoothie should have paid attention to the required nose gear fix. Without it you are just a lucky dip of until when it will happen....
The stock nose gear 'suspension' is non-existent = big bounce if you whack it in. And even if you don't whack it in! LOL. So it is just lose-lose if left as stock.
Can you share the link to the nose gear fix please?
Oct 13, 2019, 04:33 PM
Avios Mig-17 info

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...Rating-9-10%29
Oct 14, 2019, 10:12 AM
Thx Peter, also could you a share the eBay link to the springs you used ?
Oct 14, 2019, 10:41 AM
ITTD has a new scheme for Fresco/Red Star
Oct 14, 2019, 11:22 AM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
I ordered some stars from Callie for mine... just got some red ones....
Oct 14, 2019, 03:35 PM
I printed the decals, Stars, MiG, etc.... 20 sheets for $16 Amazon- how much does Callie charge??
Oct 14, 2019, 03:48 PM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheTubeDeep
I printed the decals, Stars, MiG, etc.... 20 sheets for $16 Amazon- how much does Callie charge??
I have no issue paying the little bit she charges for it...

https://callie-graphics.com/collections/mig-17
Oct 14, 2019, 03:50 PM
Hobbyking will do you a sheet of red stars for 2 bucks. I paid $17 for the people's liberation decals from callie.
Oct 14, 2019, 03:50 PM
COPS! Bad Boy Bad Boys Whatcha Gonna Do When They Come for You

Cops! Bad Boys Bad Boys, Whatcha Gonna Do When they Come for You! (3 min 51 sec)

Quick Reply