Sep 22, 2019, 09:29 AM
tow
tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfoot
Hi,

PeterVRC kindly put the 3d print file for the tanks, pylons and attachment rails on this thread many pages ago.

Luckily I have a friend who printed them for me.

Al
Thank You. Where do I find this file then?
to remove ads between posts
Sep 22, 2019, 09:45 AM
tow
tow
Quote:
Originally Posted by petervrc
the drop tank files are in the attached zip file.
A slight change to the tanks and tank mounts is that they have 'locating holes' so that you can put in a small peg (into each of the three holes) to get the mount onto the tank in the exact position required.
thnx!
Sep 22, 2019, 11:18 AM
Quote:
Hi all,

Well here is another movie of my Vietnam Camo version - I can't say that I have had an issue with orientation so far - it is silver underneath which, on other aircraft, can merge with the grey skies that I usually fly in!!

Enjoy, there is a reasonably close fly-by in the middle.

Al

https://youtu.be/xnMvWz3Bs1s
Great flight video and the drop tanks added a lot of authenticity to the model. If someone has lot of spare drop tanks, Freewing's quick install/release mechanism would work as well. Just glue in those pieces into your tank and wing, respectively. https://www.motionrc.com/products/fr...hment-hardware
Sep 22, 2019, 03:26 PM
Keep it simple
Thank you for the kind comments, my mate Bob is pretty good with the video camera.

I also like the way the MiG-17 looks with the tanks on, and I find very little difference in the handling with them fitted.

Al
Sep 22, 2019, 06:25 PM
Wow, that was close to the BEST scale flying video I have seen! Of any RC model!
Firstly, the video quality/manner - not perfect, but was a plus to be like that!
Then the Mig-17 that you may as well have been looking at a full scale one...
Then the flying..... not just super smooth, but highly/fully scale motions... roll rates.. etc.....
Again, you may as well have been at an airshow and watching a full scale one flying around!!

A fractionally "wobbly" landing - just due to wind/turbulence, which you will never be able to offset (just find a dead calm day! LOL).... and just a continued great scale process and even landing speed/manner.
So that was great to see, from very start to very finish!!
Sep 22, 2019, 06:48 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Hi,

PeterVRC kindly put the 3d print file for the tanks, pylons and attachment rails on this thread many pages ago.

Luckily I have a friend who printed them for me.

Al
Where are the files ? I did a search but for some reason I didnít see them? Thanks
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
Sep 22, 2019, 06:51 PM
Alfoot... How long are the tanks..??

The reason I ask is that FMS has tanks for their 1.4m and 1.7m F4U

They could be an option for those that dont have a 3D printer.

https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...h=fms+f4u+tank

Sep 22, 2019, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain MoMo
Where are the files ? I did a search but for some reason I didnít see them? Thanks
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=1454
Sep 22, 2019, 09:42 PM

DIY Super Gear Sequencer - Afterburner - Strobe and Landing Lights unit

I finished V1.0 of the DIY "Super Gear Sequencer, Afterburner, Strobes & Landing Lights" unit (No need for fixed lit LEDs, eg Red/Green, to be done by a box..... though....)
More of a prototype V1. I found a few useful extras I can add/do on it for the next version.

Only the Gear Sequencer and Afterburner sections are really used for a Mig-17.
I could call it the "Silver Box"... except Freewing have made anything 'box' seem a big worry to have in an RC model!!
Mind you, mine is not flakey as per their stuff! (probably/possibly just a soldering cause in their stuff. Hmm, though some incident reports also suggest internal chip or programming causes.)

As previously outlined, it does Gear Doors open, or close, after Gear Extension - jumper selectable.
With "Never Gear and Door collision software 'intelligence' "

The Landing Light only comes on after the gear is fully extended. And goes off as soon as it begins to retract. (but is programmable to alter those timings anyway)

The Afterburner system does Mig "Constant Flicker" AB Mode, or more modern Afterburner "Flicker then fully lit" AB Mode - again jumper selectable - but it also RC PWM controllable for this too, if you want to use a channel for that (Why?? Ummm, you can also disable the AB totally via PWM).

The Program Unit, to plug in and do all settings via that nice small OLED display box is taking LONGER to sort out than the whole AB unit! It is quite a complex total of things to set up.
For now, I program the values with it plugged into a PC. eg To set the Gear Doors End Points, Directions of Servo travels etc. And you only do that once per an aircraft anyway, so....
(It is not in my Mig-17..... but I will make/add the next one for that)

Total DIY cost, with AB LED, LED Regulator module, wiring etc etc (everything to use all its functions)...... approx AUD$12
Sep 23, 2019, 07:43 AM
Keep it simple
Quote:
Originally Posted by agedflier
Alfoot... How long are the tanks..??

The reason I ask is that FMS has tanks for their 1.4m and 1.7m F4U

They could be an option for those that dont have a 3D printer.

Hi,

The tanks are 36.5 cm long and 6.5 cm in diameter at the widest point.

Al
Sep 23, 2019, 10:35 AM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC
I finished V1.0 of the DIY "Super Gear Sequencer, Afterburner, Strobes & Landing Lights" unit (No need for fixed lit LEDs, eg Red/Green, to be done by a box..... though....)
More of a prototype V1. I found a few useful extras I can add/do on it for the next version.

I could call it the "Silver Box"... except Freewing have made anything 'box' seem a big worry to have in an RC model!!
Mind you, mine is not flakey as per their stuff! (probably/possibly just a soldering cause in their stuff. Hmm, though some incident reports also suggest internal chip or programming causes.)

As previously outlined, it does Gear Doors open, or close, after Gear Extension - jumper selectable.

The Landing Light only comes on after the gear is fully extended. And goes off as soon as it begins to retract. (but is programmable to alter those timings anyway)

The Afterburner system does Mig "Constant Flicker" AB Mode, or more modern Afterburner "Flicker then fully lit" AB Mode - again jumper selectable - but it also RC PWM controllable for this too, if you want to use a channel for that (Why?? Ummm, you can also disable the AB totally via PWM).

The Program Unit, to plug in and do all settings via that nice small OLED display box is taking LONGER to sort out than the whole AB unit! It is quite a complex total of things to set up.
For now, I program the values with it plugged into a PC. eg To set the Gear Doors End Points, Directions of Servo travels etc. And you only do that once per an aircraft anyway, so....

Total DIY cost, with AB LED, LED Regulator module, wiring etc etc (everything to use all its functions)...... approx AUD$12
WOW!! Good stuff! Its a lil more than I would ever do for this plane but cool to see that you are going full bore with it! If people are willing to do this sort of Do it Yourself Kit then my afterburner kit would be even easier to them! All it requires is a little drilling and some glue...
Sep 23, 2019, 12:47 PM
Mach One
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC

Very cool Peter. Good job in your constant quest for innovation. Yeah, I agree - Silver Box is not the best name. Perhaps just name it Auxiliaries Controller or AC.
Latest blog entry: ESC and BEC Steup
Sep 23, 2019, 03:51 PM
Here's some great shots from the electric fly in at Saint George Utah this weekend! Photos were all taken by Mitrc and turned out fantastic!
Sep 23, 2019, 06:12 PM
Quote:
Hi,

The tanks are 36.5 cm long and 6.5 cm in diameter at the widest point.

Al
Thanks for that Al....

For those that dont have a 3D printer..the FMS 1.4m F4U tanks are 35.0cm long and 6.2cm in diameter...

I think that would be a great option...

Quick Reply