Jul 22, 2019, 09:53 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

How do I glass a balsa plane?

Okay, working on my first large balsa plane. Plane is full skin. I am hoping to add some durability to the plane without adding too much weight.

I have seen lots of options, but not sure what to do.

I have seen .5 - .75 glass cloth used with epoxy or polyurethane. Is this the way to go? What finish do you put over it?

is there any good How-tos on doing this?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 10:33 AM
Duane, LSF IV
This is for a sailplane, but the concepts should be the same.
http://augiemckibben.tripod.com/site...5_glassing.pdf

I've heard from a pattern builder that, once the epoxy has cured enough to be firm but still sticky, you can rub microballons (Q cells) into the glass to help fill the weave and need less primer and sanding to finish.
Aug 02, 2019, 05:26 PM
.75 to 1 oz glass is good to create a surface to paint. If you need some strength the use at least 2 oz.
Aug 02, 2019, 06:57 PM
Old-school glow kit-builder

Microballoons ease sanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazmo
I've heard from a pattern builder that, once the epoxy has cured enough to be firm but still sticky, you can rub microballons (Q cells) into the glass to help fill the weave and need less primer and sanding to finish.
I purchased some microballons just the other day, at a hobby shop. Imagine that. I was so shocked to see them I could not pass them up. I feel sure the microballoons will do what you claim. It is what they are designed to do!

I suppose you could use a salt shaker as an applicator. Not sure how well the partially cured resin will take to rubbing

Quick Reply