Jul 22, 2019, 08:17 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Irish Sea cutter, 1/24 scale, RC, scratch built, 19th century

So, I guess I never created a build long for this model. It's appeared in photos and videos in various places. This thread is intended to cobble together those AND the new video below for future reference.

Genesis: I wanted to build a companion model for my American War of 1812 Privateer. What does every privateer need? ...vessels to capture...PRIZES! I have a modest library of maritime history. Some of the best sources are of British origin. In MacGregor's Merchant Sailing Ships 1775-1815. , I found a plan for a 1809 cutter that likely would have sailed Irish Sea named CLIO.

Design: With a bluff bow and flat bottom, she could carry cargo into the tidal flats to off load without needing dockage. In 1/24 scale, this meant the smallish model would have a big hull for RC gear and internal ballast. She has a curvaceous hull that would be an enjoyable planking challenge. Some of that does not translate in the photos. Trust me, she is a big women in a small package!

Construction: Built about 10 years ago, she was framed and planked with balsa wood that was then treated with epoxy. FYI, I moved on to using 1/8 strip pine that is much stronger. Lead shot was wood glued in and closed cell foam was added for survivability. The sails are cotton and of a color to give a tanbark impression. The sails are double folded and glued with fabric glue.

Performance: She makes ALOT of leeway under sail. But in American waters, she is a unique craft...which I like. I need to weight her to show how heavy she is. This weight makes her very stable. She has a very flexible cotton sail plan to reef down and/or reduce sail.
Last edited by Gammon Iron; Jul 23, 2019 at 06:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 08:18 AM
Thread OP
Here are some other photos of her...
Jul 22, 2019, 08:30 AM
Thread OP
An older YouTube video of her. (Newer video coming.)

1:24 scale RC sailing model of an early 19th century merchant vessel. (2 min 28 sec)
Jul 22, 2019, 01:09 PM
Thread OP
I could not figure out how to merge the three short videos on YouTube. I was able to merge them on www.clideo.com. But when trying to load that video on this site, it produces an error message?? So, three short videos... Oh, this is a local pond I found about a year ago.

Co Mayo 072119a (0 min 34 sec)

Co Mayo 072119b (0 min 28 sec)

Co Mayo 072119c (0 min 47 sec)
Last edited by Gammon Iron; Jul 23, 2019 at 06:26 AM.
Jul 22, 2019, 07:37 PM
great....seems to run really well with no wind ........thought it was motorized ....a nice design.....
Jul 23, 2019, 06:31 AM
Thread OP
Yanc, maybe you get the same reaction when you RC sail. People seem STUNNED that there is no motor. It's as if they never heard about the thousands of years of wind driven vessels??
Last edited by Gammon Iron; Jul 24, 2019 at 06:32 AM.
Jul 23, 2019, 11:15 AM
ha...but not a ripple on the pond?.....doesn't take much eh?
Jul 24, 2019, 06:46 AM
Thread OP
It's just a question of Wind Shadow or being in the Lee of an wind obstruction. In my videos, the wind takes a distance to move down from the shore level to water level. In the videos you can see ripples farther out on the pond. And, the camera mic picked up wind noise at my standing level. So, the model's sails are high enough to pick up the wind that has not yet reached water level.
Jul 24, 2019, 01:45 PM
aha!

Quick Reply