Dec 01, 2019, 07:35 PM
world's slowest builder
Great idea. I’ve always thought a “composite” of printed formers/ribs would do great for many models. gets rid of having to laser or scroll cut all those ribs/formers from wood.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 25, 2019, 02:51 PM
Thread OP
Merry Christmas all!

Finally got around to another round of tests with 100% FSA exhaust and enlarged intake cheater. Overall, improvements were relatively minor, with 600g of thrust at 618W compared to 590g at 596W. 10 grams of increased thrust with the changes.

Earlier this week I quickly went out to confirm ease to hand-toss. below is a short video from the first of the 2 flights. I forgot to write down notes from the maiden, so I was re-learning a bit with what rates I had set for ailerons, rudder, and elevator. The plane felt a bit snappier than before when banking using ailerons with a bit of rudder, so I brought it down pretty quickly in the video. Besides, this, the plane takes off from an underhand toss pretty easily.

I have graphics coming in from Callie in the next week or 2, so I will have some photos to share of a completed U-2R and ER-2. I'm also going to try and vacuum from canopies for both airframes. Ordering some 1300mAH 4S packs as well.

3D Printed EDF U-2R Hand Launch Test (0 min 50 sec)
Dec 25, 2019, 02:55 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Looks good.. also looks cold!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Dec 25, 2019, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Steve! It's been a pretty mild winter so far, was about 40 deg F when I went flying and we are expecting a high of 58 today and tomorrow. No real snowfall in December surprisingly.
Dec 25, 2019, 03:29 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
I'm originally from Pekin. After way too many cold winters, and blistering summers, My wife and I left there for better climes..but then, it's only supposed to hit 58 here today!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
Dec 25, 2019, 07:17 PM
world's slowest builder
That really flies nice and light!
Dec 26, 2019, 03:00 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Jon. Graphics arrived today from Callie. I'm thinking for the U-2R, I will give it a satin or flat clear coat after applying the graphics. The ER-2, I might either leave as-is, or give it a satin clear coat.
Dec 27, 2019, 07:21 PM
EDF rules... :)
Nice work and congrats on getting it flying.
Did you try the stabilizer?

Cheers,
Eric B.
Dec 27, 2019, 07:56 PM
Thread OP
Thanks Eric. Yes, the stabilizer was used on the 4 flights when I re-maidened, as well as the flight a few days ago.
Jan 05, 2020, 11:45 PM
Thread OP
I tested out using a matte clear on the printed parts. I sanded down the outboard flaps and gave one side a coat.

Nope!

Looks like I will be spraying the airframe with flat black instead.

I was also curious about a 1/15 scale U-2R using a standard 0.4mm nozzle instead of a 0.3mm like this one, XRP 70mm, 80A ESC, 3700mAH 45C, 14 servos, and landing gear. Estimate shows 2800g AUW and cubic wing loading of 10.2; Basically same cubic loading as this one. Something I might consider down the road if I enjoy this smaller one enough.

Figure it is also worth showing some print attempts of 1/15 scale F-117 ans SR-71 sections. Assuming I try to scale parts to fit the print bed (250mmx205mm) there is pretty significant warping. I even bought some "Low Warp" ABS but that seemed to warp even more than the standard black filament. I have some ideas for the SR-71 to still test out, but I think a fully printed nighthawk might be out of the picture for now.
Jan 06, 2020, 09:04 PM
Awesome work!
Jan 06, 2020, 10:19 PM
Thread OP
Thanks!
Jan 23, 2020, 12:10 AM
Thread OP
Started messing with XFLR5 last night. Was able to get some simulations and graphs to output but still need to educate myself on what this all means.

Using the original designed NACA0009 tail surfaces and RG-15 wing airfoil on the model. If I could realize some noticeable improvements with airfoil changes or wing/tail incidences I'd be willing to tweak the design and scrap/give away my current airframes.
Jan 23, 2020, 05:13 AM
Down load "Radio Controlled Soaring Digest 2008-02" and "XFLR5_and_Stability_analysis" from http://www.xflr5.tech/xflr5.htm.

The Soaring digest on is from a old version of XFLR5, but gives you an idea on glider performance.

XFLR5_and_Stability_analysis, is better and gives you a feel for dynamic analysis.

I used the program for about 8 years now and find it was useful to decide which German WW2 "Luft 42' planes were stable enough to build.
Jan 23, 2020, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
Yea, I began reading up on those early this morning and it has started to help. I also was looking more into airfoils and how a bunch of slope flyers talks about fast vs floaty airfoils.

Quick Reply