This thread is privately moderated by old4570, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 21, 2019, 10:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Happenings - Monday 22 July 2019

UMx Whipit's (two whips) Old Modified Whip VS 100% Stock Whip ( Short Version ) (1 min 6 sec)

Took the two Whips out , was windy .
Too windy to really compare , but here is the very short version .

Picture 1

FMS V-tail 800mm - Wanted one for a long time ! ( Not a house brick like a certain Super K )
I will do a pictorial on it when the wind backs off ( Northerly Gale Blowing ) , weather says next week end .

Picture 2 and 3

MG 800 from GB , only took about 2 months to get it .. ( 3 months after checking )
It is a very interesting kit - I will do a thing on it !

Bare Bones Kit weight = 119 Grams ( Just the foam bits )
Building to Federally Mandated 250 Gram Limit for unregistered , unlicensed pilots .
Gives us some 130 grams of stuffing .

Picture 4

100cm Hand Throw Glider -
I ordered two , and I took this one out of the box . Did I mention the Northerly Gale ?
Anyhow , I had to replace the steel ballast ball for a larger one to get CG .
And it looks to be a capable glider .
Ok , it is BENT !!!! , a little here , a little there . In fact , the only thing not bent a little was the vertical stab .. That was straight for some reason .
SO it looks like a bit of time with the hair dryer is required .
BUTT !!!! - It does glide , even bent .
How to RC it ? Thats the question .
Last edited by old4570; Jul 22, 2019 at 06:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 05:54 PM
Forward ever, backward never!
Looking forward to your reports on each of these, Old4570! Loved your modded v. stock Whipit video too.

I've been eying the FMS V-tail as a potential upgrade for my E-Flite UMX Radian. I wonder how it will fly stock, and whether it would make a good basis for an ultra-micro warmliner. Basically a 2S BL micro (as opposed to ultra micro) Radian.

Haven't heard about the MG800. But again, it looks like a perfect platform for a sub-250g build with decent performance in both small and larger spaces.

100cm = 1m, which is pretty large. I'd be tempted to make it into a high-efficiency ultra-duration micro flier. Small low-KV brushless motor, largish prop (8"?), 2S 1200mAh LiPo. It could fly forever. Add an FPV micro cam and 900Mhz control for a crazy long range flier (in low wind conditions).
Jul 22, 2019, 10:37 PM
Thread OP
Whips - Too windy !
But it did show me how much more stable the modified whip is .
Need better conditions to really compare . ( Hang Time )

FMS needs a Rx and battery - But first I will dis assemble it for a good look see .
Interesting little tit bit - CG is about spot on out of the box .. ( ?)
Will really need to be careful about where I put stuff so I can get a battery in there and maintain CG ..

MG 800 - About to take some pictures ..
Was ho humming last night about the motor install , have an interesting idea on that (?)
Prop will be a 7x4.5 inch , current draw around 5A at full throttle .
Servos ? I have some small ones that should do the job , or just go 9g .
I will have to do a dummy install of all the parts and see how the weight goes .
Jul 23, 2019, 11:54 AM
Saw the pictures of the MG800. Looking forward to more as you go.

As for the 1m foam glider, check out these two videos from the Bavarian RC YouTube channel. I think the guy's shortened pusher conversion is brilliant! In the second video, he offers lots of helpful technical tips.

RC conversion of a LIDL glider into a high-speed flying wing - The LIDL DEVIL (2 min 49 sec)

Build Video - RC conversion of a LIDL glider into a high-speed flying wing - The LIDL DEVIL (5 min 30 sec)
Jul 23, 2019, 07:00 PM
Thread OP
I have seen a Glider version of that ..
But that pusher looks clean ..

I am kind of thinking along the lines of the XK A 800 flight board and motor for that 1m glider .
Be a very minimalist mod . ( I have 2 of these gliders )
Weight is 107.7 grams with a larger steel ball for CG .. ( Steel ball = 21.8 grams )
XK A800 motor is around 16 grams ...
Jul 23, 2019, 07:16 PM
Transplanting A800 electronics to the 1m foam glider will certainly be less laborious.

And maybe the longer wingspan will give it great endurance and a nice floaty feel. Any way you cut it (pun intended), some fun projects to look forward to.
Jul 23, 2019, 08:46 PM
Thread OP
Lots of ideas swirling around my head for that glider ...
Seriously considering swiss cheesing it ...
Lightening holes .....
Then doing a laminating film covering ..

Would be nice if was flying under 100 grams ..
Jul 24, 2019, 02:21 PM
Funny you mention "swiss cheesing" your foam glider! Just this morning, I received a topically relevant sleeping pad for camping.

It's got the lightening holes, film covering, and is even yellow like Swiss cheese.

Jul 24, 2019, 06:16 PM
Thread OP
Not only that , those holes might trap warm air ..
Hmmmm , warm air ..
Jul 25, 2019, 11:49 AM
Warm air would be lighter than cold air, and would thus provide extra performance to both glider and sleeping pad.

Quick Reply