Jul 21, 2019, 09:48 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Thread OP
Discussion

Sanding ZFoam

Today I experimented sanding ZFoam and gluing to FFF.

I used some 400 grit. It seemed to take sanding very well, starting with heavier pressure then lighter until feathering out. It was definitely ready to take some foam primer. I don't know what 200 grit would do, I didn't have any. My fear of coarser grits is too much digging in and tearing out chunks. I could not make that happen with the 400.

I used Foam Tac to glue a test piece to some FFF; it held up well so I'm confident I can use other foams to repair or modify a ZFoam airframe. I may end up rebuilding a ZFoam airframe into something else and needed to know what it was like to work with it.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2019, 05:05 PM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Thread OP
Follow up, 60 grit works well too. I did some rough shaping with the 60, then went with the 400 and got some good results. The main thing is to back off pressure when getting close to finishing, that seemed to take out quite a bit of the "snake skin" texture.

Quick Reply