Jul 21, 2019, 05:01 PM
Nu2RC
Thread OP
Discussion

Looking for Hat-Cam Recommendations

Hi,

(This technology is constantly changing, so I thought an up-to-date discussion might not hurt.)

When my video-camera buddy isn't available, I'd like to document my RC-airplane flights anyhow.

I'm in the market for a hat cam. Either one built into a baseball cap or attachable to a baseball cap. The latter would be preferable for added flexibility--but not essential.

I've watched many YouTube videos of hat-cam videography, but the author often doesn't mention the make/model of the camera.

I'd appreciate input from folks who have or know of hat cams they can recommend. I'd like one that is moderately wide-angle, if possible. So that I'm likely to keep the plane in frame without it being so small you can barely see it. Unless that's unrealistic.

If you've published any videos using your hat cam, I'd appreciate a link so that I can see what the finished product looks like.

Thanks,
Bill
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2019, 05:12 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
Do you have a smart phone capable of shooting videos ? If so you can probably make your own hat-cam with a dollar store phone holder , or get one ready-made : https://www.amazon.com/OCTO-MOUNT-Co...41769648&psc=1

Did you get that CrashTest Hobby plane flying OK ?
Jul 21, 2019, 07:09 PM
Nu2RC
Thread OP
Quote:
Did you get that CrashTest Hobby plane flying OK ?
Thanks for asking. I haven't had a chance to fly it again yet but hope to soon.

Bill
Jul 23, 2019, 11:23 AM
I recently picked up a used Hero5 session and mounted it to a baseball cap. Although it records full 4K at 30 fps, my first attempts to use it have been unremarkable. The plane quickly turns into a dot and the compression washes it out. Although post processing in Blender helps, I am also looking for a better solution. Currently adding a telephoto lens (hope its not too heavy on my head...) to help keep the aircraft visible.
Jul 23, 2019, 01:21 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
The biggest problem I had was trying to center the plane in the camera. It's very easy to move your eyes when tracking a plane and not your whole head.

My camera was/is a the '808 HD Keychain Micro Camera (#16)'. I mounted it on the side of my glasses. Single post with pics here ---

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...24&postcount=3

As for what type of camera, they seem to be changing, updating all the time, try the ---

Aerial Photography forum

they have all the specs on ground based and in plane cameras.

The best type is actually held by someone else doing the videoing, preferably with a zoom feature, trying to do it yourself does involve quite a bit of video editing deleting all the shots of an empty sky, or spec in the distance

Ray.
Jul 23, 2019, 03:49 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
One fellow ( I think sr71afan ) fabricated a simple view finder that hung down from his visor . One or two test videos to set up the alignment and your camera will see what you see through the home made view finder . No doubt it will take some practice to move your head , not just your eyes .

I couldn't find the photo , so I did a quick drawing ↓
Jul 23, 2019, 05:00 PM
Nu2RC
Thread OP
Thanks everyone. I'll digest your comments and report back if appropriate.

Anyone, keep the ideas coming. They will help others too.

Bill
Jul 23, 2019, 05:23 PM
IMO ( In My Opinion ) →
You can also get glasses with a camcorder built in ↓
Jul 24, 2019, 08:25 AM
Nu2RC
Thread OP
Quote:
You can also get glasses with a camcorder built in
Very interesting idea. Because I wear prescription glasses and when flying usually have sunglasses over them, I'd probably need to buy a sunglasses version.

I'll check YouTube for videos showing what kind of image the camera-glasses produce. I'd like wide angle but not super wide angle. I've read that the equivalent of an A2 lens is wide angle but not too much so. Below is an image that compares the A2 lens with the C2 and D lenses.

Name: A2 vs C2 vs D Lenses.jpg
Views: 4
Size: 122.0 KB
Description:
(Click to enlarge.)

Has anyone reading this thread used these kinds of glasses? If so, can you describe the results and perhaps point me to a video you've created?

On a related topic, I was researching Mobius cameras on Amazon and read numerous complaints that so-called Mobius cameras carried by SpyTec seem to be inferior to those bought directly from Mobius. For example, "I have over 30 of these [Mobius Action] cameras which I use for business. Rarely have I ever had any issues with these cameras because I purchased them directly from Mobius Action Cam. I've made a few purchases with SpyTec and every single time I make a purchase, at least ONE of the two/three/four that I buy is complete garbage and has to be thrown away. Some work okay, for maybe a month or so...."

Bill
Jul 24, 2019, 10:33 AM
Nu2RC
Thread OP
Quote:
eflightray: My camera was/is a the '808 HD Keychain Micro Camera (#16)'. I mounted it on the side of my glasses. Single post with pics here ---
In addition to the still shots that his post takes you to, below is a link to a video of his using the camera/glasses setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=J3WWMuxAEsk

As it happens, a few years ago I bought the exact same model of camera that eflightray mentions. I used it mounted on three aircraft. In general, I was pleased with the results. One problem I have with that model is that, because it is intended for clandestine use, there is no light to tell you the camera is running. That feature can be a challenge.

Also, ideally the camera I choose will have a somewhat less-wide-angle lens, as mentioned in my previous post.

Quote:
eflightray: As for what type of camera, they seem to be changing, updating all the time, try the Aerial Photography forum. They have all the specs on ground based and in plane cameras.
Thanks! I didn't realize that forum existed.

Bill
Last edited by BSquared18; Jul 24, 2019 at 10:39 AM.
Jul 24, 2019, 01:24 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Most of my videos are on Youtube, but they do go back a while with some poor quality cameras, (5in1 camera, 808 #3 and #11) early on. If you go to Youtube do a search on eflightray.

Ray.
Jul 24, 2019, 01:49 PM
Nu2RC
Thread OP
Quote:
but they do go back a while with some poor quality cameras
Yep. The technology certainly is improving by leaps and bounds!

Bill
Jul 24, 2019, 04:01 PM
Custom User Title
I use a Yi 4k camera mounted on one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JU8N8D8/
Jul 24, 2019, 06:44 PM
Nu2RC
Thread OP
Quote:
I use a Yi 4k camera mounted on one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JU8N8D8/
Interesting. The web page says the cap's mount is for a GoPro camera. Did you have to do something to adapt it to your Yi 4k camera?

Concerning the Yi 4k, I looked it up on Amazon. The ones I saw that list the field of view say its 150 degrees. I was hoping to find a camera with a FOV closer to, say, 85 or 90 degrees so that the airplane shows up a bit better. Is yours 150 degrees?

You don't happen to have any YouTube videos that you shot using that setup, do you? If yes, could you provide a link?

Bill
Jul 24, 2019, 07:53 PM
Custom User Title
Nah.. You screw an adapter to the camera using the 1/4-20 threaded hole on the bottom.

This product has everything you need in addition the hat and camera: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNWB5CT

I bought one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFQFG1V. I went with the aluminum one because the plastic adapters let the camera move in the mount if bumped. This aluminum one can be tightened down good, so the camera stays put.

The FOV is adjustable on the camera. For example, I record in 1080P, and I have 3 different FOV to choose from. Here's a video showing the different options:
XiaoMi Yi 4K - Video Field of View (Ultra, Wide, Medium & Narrow) Settings Comparison (3 min 30 sec)

I have a youtube channel where just about all videos in the last year are shot with that camera and the hat: https://www.youtube.com/user/somespamsite44

I did have problems with the camera in the beginning. It seems recording on low or medium quality (and possibly combined with the narrow FOV) causes the camera to lock up after about 38 seconds once in a while. Recording at high quality instead has taken care of that issue.

Quick Reply