Heads Up On New Dumas Kit Coming!

M.A.C.K. and Dumas have a new boat offering!

Splash

1/16th scale model of the typical 40 Down East Lobster Boat

:)As many of the forum members already know, M.A.C.K. PRODUCTS/LEGEND MODEL BOATS and DUMAS PRODUCTS have had a long and happy working relationship over many decades. Since our two companies have had such a long working relationship, we keep each other abreast of the goings-on in the modeling society as to what new modeling items and experiences we can bring to the model boat and shipbuilding community. With the demise of many of the original model boat kit manufacturers, as well as the availability of kits to the modeling public, our two companies work closely together in perceiving what new subjects seem to be lacking in the model boating arena.

One such model which met its demise with the passing of MIDWEST PRODUCTS was the model of the BOOTH BAY LOBSTER BOAT. This model was one of the stalwarts of the Midwest line of boats, and is still sought after on many of the Ebay sales forums.

Although the Midwest model saw great success in sales, it did have some problems in kit design of the model as built to the plans which saw many of the kits being modified to make easier the installation and servicing of the model for radio control.

To this end DUMAS has made known to me of the new kit which is in the works for release in late fall of 2019, in time for holiday purchases of the kit for under the Christmas tree. The model is a 1/16th scale model of the typical 40 Down East Lobster Boat found from Maine to Maryland. The modeler will find that the construction, as well as the materials of the model, mimic the Midwest model to a point, but the design of the kit conforms to the general rule of the radio controlled model, for easy access to the running and servicing of the radio controlled hardware.

To that end the modeler will happily discover that the model was designed to have the entire cabin of the lobster boat made removable instead of just the cabin roof as with the Midwest model. The modeler will also find that the entire deck of the lobster boat is made removable from the cabin bulkhead to the aft deck, allowing the entire bilge interior to be exposed for mounting of batteries and steering hardware at the transom. With these new design features, the possibilities of working running lights and sound effects is made far easier due to access to the interior of the hull.

The specs for the new model are 30-1/2 length x 11 beam at a 1/16th scale. I am giving some advanced notice of this new DUMAS Products model and have been given permission to release the first photos of the model for the forum members to peruse. ;)

Last edited by frankg; Jul 23, 2019 at 08:49 AM..
Jul 21, 2019, 10:09 AM
Thread OP
Now that you have viewed the photos of the upcoming kit release from DUMAS Products the later part of this year, and you have any additional questions about the kit, feel free to contact DUMAS Products directly on their web site at [email protected] 0r by phone at (820)623-3742 and remember to tell them you saw this new kit release information on RCGroups.com
Jul 21, 2019, 11:46 AM
The 1:12 scale model sails at 3.9lbs and I'm considering upscaling to 1:6 scale.
1:16 seems an odd choice for parts and figure to complement?

This is the 2019 UK version of MidWest with removable cabin, removable working decks and accessories. Also has direct drive brushless motor with grease point and 45mm Prop shop 3 blade Propeller.

Still under construction but sails fantastically

Rudder video
https://photos.smugmug.com/Midwest-B...B20A5-1920.mp4

Detachable rudder shoe without water ingress to woodwork

Demounted cabin

Nearly 400 pictures in chronological order
https://techno.smugmug.com/Midwest-B...boat/i-p35MF7P
Last edited by T33CNO; Jul 21, 2019 at 12:04 PM.
Jul 21, 2019, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
T33CNO-Don't be fooled by the scale of the boat. The actual size of the model is almost exactly what the MIDWEST model was 30" at 1/12th scale, the DUMAS model is 30 1/2" at 1/16th scale works out to be 40' boat. All the dimensions of the cabin match the same as the MIDWEST kit. I will check with DUMAS to see if they have the scale of the kit wrong.
Last edited by frankg; Jul 21, 2019 at 02:54 PM.
Jul 21, 2019, 12:27 PM
Any idea of Price Frank? will it be marketed to Uk?

I have acquired a second unbuilt kit already. I really love the Midwest version. The hull shape is awesome and I don't think Dumas have captured that in those photos?

Last edited by T33CNO; Jul 21, 2019 at 12:34 PM.
Jul 21, 2019, 12:38 PM
Full access to all areas of my MidWest

Including the Bow
Jul 21, 2019, 12:39 PM
Thread OP
I really have no answers other than what was provided to me by DUMAS Products. The reason that I provided their Email address is so that you could ask these questions directly to the manufacturer. This is something that I think would open a dialog between the customer and the manufacturer, something that I have be doing ever since I started LEGEND MODEL BOATS.
It cost you nothing to get direct answers to your question using their Email address for your questions at: [email protected]
Last edited by frankg; Jul 21, 2019 at 10:16 PM.
Jul 21, 2019, 12:41 PM
Thanks Frank. Please post for us when it's on the market. Hopefully USA retailers will be prepared to export

Regards Andy
Jul 21, 2019, 12:50 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Rich,the Bluejacket RC lobster boat is also 33" and works fine with 1/12 scale accessories.

Bill
Jul 21, 2019, 12:51 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
duplicate post?

Bill
Jul 21, 2019, 12:52 PM
That is nice but hellishly expensive to UK so a non starter
Jul 21, 2019, 12:55 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
The post wasn't to promote the sale of the kit, just to vouch for a 33" boat being able to use 1/12 accessories. I didn't post a lot of Pics to Rich's thread
Jul 21, 2019, 01:51 PM
Thread OP
SOUND SAILOR-I hate to tell you that you are wrong, but you are wrong. MIDWEST PRODUCTS made two lobster boat kits, one was 22 long and the other, The BOOTH BAY LOBSTER BOAT was 30 long.
Jul 21, 2019, 04:24 PM
Not that strange of a scale, as the Microglass (now Loyalhanna) fiberglass hull, is also 1/16 scale.

We just need Miss Umi, to make her lobster boat fittings/details in 1/16, as well as 1/12.
Jul 21, 2019, 05:27 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Rich, sorry I mistyped. I was speaking of the 33" Bluejacket (PICTURED) NOT THE MIDWEST. I HAVE BUILT A FEW OF TBOTH SIZES OF THE mIDWESTS AS WELL.

bILL

Quick Reply