Jul 21, 2019, 08:01 AM
A Day @ a Time - Matt. 6:25-34
Thread OP
Question

Prop Orientation?

I'm going to attempt rebuilding a crashed DeltaRay into a Vulcan. The stock electric gear has two brushed motors. My plan is to move the motors to the trailing edge and turn them into pushers. This will allow me to reshape the leading edge to match that of the Vulcan.

I reversed the polarity on the motors and they are now pushers. My question is, can the props stay as they are? Glancing at the shape of the props, the leading and trailing edges look consistent.

I know some props require a specific orientation, but I'm not sure that applies in All cases. These props are rather small, more like something that would go on a drone.

No problem if I got in too big of a hurry to reverse polarity, easy enough to put them back where they were. Perhaps just reversing the props and reverting polarity is what I need to do.

Your feedback is much appreciated, thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2019, 08:47 AM
Prop orientation is quite simple, the curved side of the airfoil must always be facing in the direction of flight
In other words, do not flip the prop over when moving it to the rear of the plane. If you did that you'd lose beaucoup thrust
Since you have reversed the motors electrically, they will still be turning CCW when viewed from the front of the plane, so all is good
Pete
Jul 21, 2019, 09:00 AM
Thread OP
Thanks.

The reason I suspected the props would need to be flipped is that the shafts are now facing backward, so the original orientation of the front of the prop is now facing the rear. I would think flipping the prop is still necessary to get the original front of the prop facing in the direction of flight.
Jul 21, 2019, 09:29 AM
To move from front to back, , tractor to pusher, just imagine a long shaft from front to back and slide the prop down it. No turning round. You do of course need to get the motors rotating the correct way, or you end up with a model with reverse and no forward

A potential problem with your idea is, you are moving a fair proportion of the weight, the motors, from in front of the CG to behind it. Some how you need to compensate to retain the original CG location. That will either mean moving the battery further forward or adding some lead.

Jul 21, 2019, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
CG is on the punch list, I plan to have the battery placed an a position further forward.
Jul 21, 2019, 10:53 AM
eflightray's explanation was clearer than mine
By not flipping the prop, I meant not to flip it so the front of the prop was facing towards the rear.
Good luck with your project!
Pete
Jul 21, 2019, 10:56 AM
Um, wait..

The motors were originally installed shaft forward. The props were correctly installed curved face forward, away from motor. You flipped the motors around without removing the props, so the props also got flipped and are now facing curved side rearwards? That's not right. As pilotpete said, the curved side should face forward and the motor should be turning such way that the blunt edge is the leading edge.

Edit: slow to type. We are all in agreement, hopefully this is not too confusing.
Jul 21, 2019, 11:09 AM
Thread OP
Nope, I understand. Eflightray's explanation helped me get it surrounded. Since the shaft direction was flipped, the props will need to be done as well so the original side facing forward remains that way.

I appreciate all of the feedback. This one is put up in the cupboard for now until I get a few more things done. This is going to be an interesting exercise in fabrication, especially figuring out how to mount the brushed motors.
Jul 21, 2019, 11:11 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Never mind, you've got it.
Last edited by davecee; Jul 21, 2019 at 11:13 AM. Reason: redundant information
Jul 21, 2019, 01:31 PM
Sorry to add, it still wont look like a Vulcan, or fly like a Vulcan without quite a bit of work, which will also add weight.
Props near the trailing edge can also be very noisy.

Still be an interesting project, why not just turn it into a futuristic jet fighter.

I must admit to being biased, I hate to see 'scale' models flown totally un-scalelike and screaming around the sky doing rolls and loops that the original never did

Ray.
Jul 21, 2019, 02:16 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray
Sorry to add, it still wont look like a Vulcan, or fly like a Vulcan without quite a bit of work, which will also add weight.
Props near the trailing edge can also be very noisy.

Still be an interesting project, why not just turn it into a futuristic jet fighter.

I must admit to being biased, I hate to see 'scale' models flown totally un-scalelike and screaming around the sky doing rolls and loops that the original never did

Ray.
Nice. Twin pusher?
Jul 21, 2019, 02:21 PM
Thread OP
Eflightray, I can certainly appreciate your desire for as close to scale appearance and performance as possible. That's a good thing! And I really appreciate your building talent.

I myself aren't into rc airliners flying like fighters, but a bit of non-scale power reserve on any bird is nice to have.

This is just taking an idea and trying something, using a gifted airplane from a flying buddy. Forces me to think outside the box. I have learned so much from doing this kind of stuff. I have no lofty expectations of what this bird will do, I'll be happy if it is a stable flyer, nothing more. If it doesn't work out, learn from it and chuck it in the bin. I am and will continue to be a basic flyer, as I can't get more time at the field as it is a 34 km round trip.
Jul 21, 2019, 02:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by davecee
Nice. Twin pusher?
That's the idea. Noticed a majority of the exhaust outlets are below the leading edge. These are 180 Can brushed motors, and I need to figure out how to mount them. A mounting plate with a 90 degree angle with a plate far enough down for the mounting holes with enough offset to have the shaft centered in the outlet and room for the heat sink would be ideal. I have some aluminum that I might be able to fashion into a mount.

Here is an excellent 3D viewer of the Vulcan (I can't attest to the accuracy though, but it looks good):

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/avro...d02b4eeb570217

I'll work this sometime later. I'll duplicate the trailing edge and experiment. I don't think the remainder will be difficult.
Jul 23, 2019, 01:42 AM
Why grow up, it makes no sense
Some guys are trying to get the Vulcan built by Aerotetris. Egor needs min 3 customers to start the build. It’s all scale, i have a 747, working on the A-10 and have an F4 in the box. Maybe an option for you, the vulcan is a beauty.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=2986
Jul 23, 2019, 09:23 AM
Shame you need a twin, an alternative for that wing could be the Gloster Javelin (1950's UK).

Here's a thread I came across --- Gloster Javelin

Quick Reply