Jul 21, 2019, 06:43 AM
Youtube channel : solentlifeuk
Thread OP
Question

VQ FW190 46 size covering

As many VQ model owners find out - the pre-printed covering over time 'creeps' and starts to lift at edges ...

I've gone through the stick it back down .. but after ~3 years - its now proving impossible to solve.

I've never worked out if this is just self-adhesive without shrinking it ... or if its self-adhesive to stick down - THEN apply heat to shrink ?

How do others cure this problem.

If I don't find a way - I may just have to remove all that fabulous detailed covering and recover in nylon / dope or something that gives me tough and paintable covering.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2019, 05:28 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I can only speak for my own experience with the covering.
It appears to be a stick it down with little tolerance to heating irons and I mean little less then 5% .
I have tried a hear gun with passing sweeps with some success but normal hear used on other covering will instantly destroy the VQ covering.
I can also tell you some of the most experience builders have attempted to remove the covering and destroyed the model.
The covering is so adhesive that it pulls piece of the balsa off the model leaving it weak.
My suggestion is :
Patch it with anything that you can get to stick to the model and then simply repaint the model.
I know that Kat has painted the VQ surface with great success.
Jul 22, 2019, 06:29 AM
Thread OP
That's my fear that trying to remove the covering will damage the model.

I'm wondering if applying heat while slowly peeling can be done ?

I tried applying a line of the spare repair covering they give ... but it did not stick well at all.

When at flying site - any time the sun gets near it - the covering loosens and 'ripples' form in the wing bays etc.
Jul 22, 2019, 07:45 AM
Too bad about the covering. I got a VQ FW-190 60 back in 2011. The covering still looked good in 2015 after 100+ flights. I caught the edge of runway on landing, ripping out both gear, damaging the wing.
I bought the newer VQ FW version in 2016. The covering on it is still in pretty good shape 80+ flights.
Brian

PS I think I tried some heat on a small piece of covering years ago, no luck. Haven't really needed to work on the covering otherwise.
Jul 22, 2019, 09:22 AM
Thread OP
Here's the covering 'in the cool' ....

I do not usually use the 'sock' on my Film Iron ... having thrown the useless stock one away .. I thought why not make one and try ...

I had run the Teflon coated Iron over and it actually took a small dot of colour with it over a rib ... so I stopped before it became too obvious !!

Set it at 30% and tried it ... it wasn't enough .. 50% and the edges tacked down ... the sock seemed to stop affecting the colour as long as I glided it along ...

The 'loose saggy' bits were worse if I applied any heat ... so they are still there - but at least the edges are tacked down again.

It will not last long I am sure ... shame as the detail on the covering is superb ... but once it gets worse - I will find a way to strip and then do a nylon / dope covering or tex.

I have a book of authentic WW2 colour schemes so I shall compare with VQ scheme (I shall take photos before removing) ....
Jul 22, 2019, 11:29 AM
That is poor covering! No wonder you want to do something about it.

Picture below is my first VQ FW in 2015 (after several years of flight). My engine is mounted sideways with a Pitts style muffler to minimize the amount of fuel residue on the plane.

My second VQ FW has a little cover splitting in front of the cockpit. A spare piece seems be holding up OK for now.

Brian
Jul 27, 2019, 09:09 PM
taste the high speed dirt
im doing a VQ zero now....did a 190 before.....the 190 i hit it with a heat gun and carefully peeled it all off....clean the adheasive off with lots of elbow grease and denatured alcohol.....then glassed and painted it...................on the zero i did the same but i will be using cheap silver chinakote and then paining it green to get a good "weatherable" covering
Last edited by grrttmyers; Jul 27, 2019 at 09:14 PM.
Jul 28, 2019, 04:29 AM
Thread OP
If I was to peel it all off .... I would recover in nylon / dope to get a strong paintable covering.

I thought about film - but given the paintwork - the exhaust would soon have the paint coming off ..

Maybe tex covering in base colours before adding 'blotches' and signs ..

Quick Reply