Jul 20, 2019, 09:39 PM
Thread OP
Question

Power a GoPro from PDB??

Does anyone know if I can make a cable to power a GoPro hero 6 black from my drones PDB 5v output?
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2019, 11:01 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
You can. Slice the fat end (the end that doesn't plug in to the GoPro) off any USB cable and you'll find 4 wires. If you're lucky, one will be red and one will be black (the others are data tx/rx). Hook 'em up and you're good to go.

If there's no red/black, you'll have to buzz-out the connector with a meter to figure out which wires are which.
Jul 21, 2019, 05:46 PM
Thread OP
Sweet deal! Thanks!
Jul 21, 2019, 10:37 PM
Id think you might risk destroying your usb cable. Are you trying to shave weight?
Jul 21, 2019, 10:48 PM
No, there is no risk. To do this, he will absolutely have to destroy a USB cable. Given that I don't think there's anyone in the world who doesn't have at least a half dozen USB cables, I doubt it'll be much of a sacrifice...
Jul 22, 2019, 09:41 AM
If it’s gimbal mounted I guess it might work... fpv this will not work
Jul 22, 2019, 04:44 PM
Not sure I'm understanding. I think that if it's gimbal mounted, it probably won't work. The gimbal won't like the drag of the power cable, since that will not be terminating on the gimbal. For FPV it will work find, although GoPro's lag may make it unsuitable for high speed flight it'll be fine as the primary viewport on a camera ship. This is how I fly my big hexcopter. But a HUD is kind of important when you do this, to show pitch and roll, since there's no visual feedback from the image coming from the camera on the gimbal.
Jul 22, 2019, 04:52 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
why are you guys going off on random tangents?
OP asked if they could power the gopro from PDB, that s it.
they never said how they are going to use it.
Latest blog entry: MY notes/ Ascent 2"build notes
Jul 22, 2019, 05:49 PM
And the answer is still "yes".

Quick Reply