Mar 19, 2002, 09:43 PM
Thread OP

Pedal Launcher Bungee Missing

The bungee portion isn't in the photo. The 1" metal ring is attached to the plane to be launched, the nylon cord (white) is tied to the ring attached to the plane and tied to the 1" metal ring attached to the release pin. The bungee is attached to the metal ring on the release pin also. When you step on the pedal the ring is forced off the release pin and the tension provided by the stretched bungee is transferred to the plane thru the nylon cord attached to the metal ring attached to the plane.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 19, 2002, 09:50 PM
Thanks!
Mar 19, 2002, 09:50 PM
Thread OP

Pedal Launcher Release Pin

In this picture it is hard to see the nylon cord, but the metal ring with the red streamer attaches to the plane to be launched and the other metal ring attaches to the release pin. The bungee also attaches to the metal ring on the release pin.
Mar 20, 2002, 12:21 PM
Thread OP

Photo of Bungee Tubing and Connectors

If it would be helpful to anyone considering building a pedal launcher, I can attach a picture of the bungee tubing and connector tonight when I get home to my digital camera.
Mar 22, 2002, 04:45 PM
MULTI ENGINE FANACTIC

Re: Pedal Launcher Release Pin

SIMPLE, AFFORDABLE, EASY TO BE DONE!
Congratulations!
Mar 29, 2002, 09:32 AM
I'm finding that I need to build a launcher cause my planes are getting bigger (graduated from the park flyers and into edfs now).. I love this launcher and wonder if anyone has the plans from the S&E sept/2001 issue they could send me or post..
I have questions though..??
1. where do you buy the bungee cord? homedepots?, camper places? on internet?
2. Why the nylon cord? can't you just hook the bungee directly to the plane?
3. It must work...but isn't the "quick pull" of the bungee too much for the foamies, balsa planes.. and it just "rips out" the tow hook on lauch... seems like a lot of pull regardless of how much you strengthen the two hook.. am I missing something here?
Mar 29, 2002, 12:28 PM
Thread OP

SEModeler Pedal Launcher Plans

Joe,
If you do a Ezone search on Pedal Launchers, Bungee launcher, bungee, or catapault, you will find pictures of the SEModeler Plans. I must tell you though, there are no dimensions or plans, only pictures and text. Actually, the pictures I posted are much clearer and detailed.

You can purchase 3/8" surgical tubing at Lowes in Manchester. Some Home Depots carry it as well, but not Manchester or Glastonbury.

You can not hook the bungee directly to the plane because you won't have a "trigger" mechanism. The tension of the stretched bungee is held by the release pin and the nylon cord transfers the power to the plane once you step on the pedal and release the bungee. I just got back from the field today and it works wonderful. I could make a small sized circuit and land if necessary without running the plane's motor.

The quick pull does no damage to the hook because there is no slack in the cord or resistance to the plane's forward flight. Release the bungee and the plan takes off like it was shot out of a gun.

The strength of the bungee can be regulated for the size / weight of the plane you are trying to launch. I use a fish scale and pull the bungee to a predetermined tension for different planes.
Last edited by Schluter60; Mar 29, 2002 at 12:30 PM.
Mar 29, 2002, 12:54 PM
Suspended Account
me too. I would appreciate an idiot-proof description of how the set up goes.

cheers,
Tim
Mar 29, 2002, 01:08 PM
Thread OP

Pedal Launcher Diagram

stake Launcher Release Pin Plane
0-------------bungee----------------------------------0--------------------X

Pedal Launcher is staked to ground (front & back) and lead end of bungee is staked to ground after being stretched to correct tension. The other end of bungee is attached to release pin on pedal launcher. A nylon cord ties to bungee ring on release pin and attaches to hook on plane. When you step on pedal it forces the tensioned bungee off of the release pin and the tension shoots the plane up the launcher ramp and into the air. Applying a little up elevator raises the plane on release and insures the bungee releases from the hook. Review the previous pictures and the detail is shown. If this doesn't clear it up, I'll post a photo of the bungee and ring assembly. Tell me if you want to see the bungee itself.
Mar 30, 2002, 10:57 PM
Thread OP

Bungee Closeup Detail

The bungee is coiled up, but you can see all the connecting points.
Mar 30, 2002, 10:59 PM
Thread OP

Connecting Bungee to Anchor stake

The two rings on the other end of bungee connect to release pin and plane being launched.
Apr 25, 2002, 01:46 PM
Suspended Account
Good pictures, they explain alot. One question, how did you connect the bungee to the metal rings?

Paul
Apr 25, 2002, 03:06 PM
I have seen people putting a parachute on the steaked end of the bungee cord too. It dose nothing there, untill the unfournate day that the steaked end decides to let loose of the ground. Then the steak and bungee comes at you at a much slower pace.
sp?
Apr 25, 2002, 05:05 PM
Thread OP

Attaching Bungee to Metal Rings

The ends of the bungee with metal "eyes" were attached by Hollyday Designs when I purchased the 20' bungee. The ends (2) were $3.00 extra if I remember correctly and they attached them for free. I attach the eye end of the bungee to the stake using split (key) ring type connectors.
Jun 04, 2002, 03:02 PM

Schulter60 Thanks!!!

Thank you so very much This was EXACTLY THE THREAD i was looking for.

Malcom

Quick Reply