Jul 20, 2019, 01:45 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

spektrum dxe and as3x bluetooth programming

I recently bought a Turbo Timber BNF plane and I am basically new to the hobby. (My first plane in 20 years) I purchased a Spektrum DXE transmitter to go with it. I have been able to fly it quite often but not all of the functions have been working such as the flap switch and SAFE mode works but the FM switch has 3 positions which i would like to use.

I purchased a Spektrum bluetooth tx/rx programming module and since the first time i have plugged it in I have been unable to get the as3x to initialize, it will bind but not allow the transmitter to control any functions. I have tried to ensure items like trim, throttle cut are set correctly but cannot tell if the app is actually doing anything during the programming. It says it is updating but I am left confused. I plan to call Horizon but they have been closed the times I have tried already. Will something as simple as buying the USB programmer fix my issue? Has anyone else run into this?
(update) I talked with Horizon support for some time. They are shipping a new receiver to me as the stabilization function is not working correctly. The only items I am interested in modifying are flap settings and flight modes. Does anyone know if you can program the DXe to have 3 flap positions? I also want to utilize 3 flight modes. Essentially a beginner, intermediate and expert mode. Does anyone have settings they can share for this or have recommendations on what values to program with the turbo timber?
Thanks in advance
-Rob
Last edited by rfis; Jul 26, 2019 at 09:10 PM. Reason: updated information
to remove ads between posts
Nov 30, 2019, 05:31 AM
I too have the same issue, got a DXE with my RTF mini apprentice, then got the HH Trojan T28 s Micro BNF. To use the DXe with this plane u needed to download the file from spektrum site. To upload this to the Tx I had to upgrade the firmware. Ever since my trims have gone from working to 1 click every 3 seconds, and my FM switch does nothing on micro at all. The bind/panic switch seems to have reversed itself. But completely unable to loop or get the plane inverted. Extremely annoying. From what i’ve Read on threads the DXe doesn’t like the firmware upgrade and spektrum response was to speak to my hobby shop. Anyone that has purchased direct from spektrum seems to have a replacement sent out when this issue happens. Why they haven’t addressed this is leads me to believe they know about the problem but are hoping most will just upgrade. Worst part was that prior to upgrading, both trims and FM switch worked perfectly. Angry��
Nov 30, 2019, 07:38 AM

Cut Your Losses, Abandon TA DXe Radio (T.A. - throw away)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVee
I too have the same issue, got a DXE with my RTF mini apprentice, then got the HH Trojan T28 s Micro BNF. To use the DXe with this plane u needed to download the file from spektrum site. To upload this to the Tx I had to upgrade the firmware. Ever since my trims have gone from working to 1 click every 3 seconds, and my FM switch does nothing on micro at all. The bind/panic switch seems to have reversed itself. But completely unable to loop or get the plane inverted. Extremely annoying. From what iíve Read on threads the DXe doesnít like the firmware upgrade and spektrum response was to speak to my hobby shop. Anyone that has purchased direct from spektrum seems to have a replacement sent out when this issue happens. Why they havenít addressed this is leads me to believe they know about the problem but are hoping most will just upgrade. Worst part was that prior to upgrading, both trims and FM switch worked perfectly. Angry��
Mike,

If you believe you will continue the hobby, then it may be best to "cut your losses," and abandon the DXe that was included in your RTF Mini Apprentice package. One way to look at it is, you paid $30 for a throw-away radio. That's what I told myself, and then I bought a better radio. I may have over-bought (DX8 Generation 2) I liked the idea of spoken prompts, and two antennas in the transmitter. Here's something you may not know.... There are actually two versions of the DXe radio that have the EXACT same model number!!! The DXe included in RTF kits is not the same as DXe bought stand alone. I bought all kinds of programming cables and probably wasted 40 hours trying to "make it work," but could not teach my RTF version DXe anything.

A DX6e will do a lot for you, but limited to only 10 models.

Full DX6 will satisfy many people. You have to decide how much you are willing to spend for a radio that speaks "Mode 1, Mode 2, Mode 3" etc

Up-sold myself from DX6 to DX8 because at the time there was a sale going on, and it was only $50 more for DX8 and that kit included a rechargeable battery and lanyard.

Don't regret buying the "throw away" DXe that was included in my RTF Apprentice kit. Considered it $30 insurance because was new to RC and didn't know if I would stay with it. (This old dog can learn, and am staying in the hobby.)

I regret spending money on two different programming cables that did nothing to improve my T.A. DXe radio. My fault for not getting educated about which model of DXe I owned. Big brother DXe has more switches than junior DXe included in RTF kits. Panic button is also relocated.

I spent hours watching videos and never saw anyone use an ANDROID phone for programming. If you have masochistic tendencies, visit Amazon and read the negative reviews for the Horizon/Spektrum programming cables. There are so many variables; the cables work in some situations, but there are MANY frustrated/angry purchasers.

Sorry for my rant. Horizon is probably sending you to the local hobby store because they know it's time for a "real radio."

Quick Reply