Jul 20, 2019, 11:19 AM
Thread OP
Alert

5/17/2019

As of 5/17/2019 each of us must have a FAA license to fly our model aircraft. You must have the license available for anyone requesting to see your license. Your models must have your FAA license number placed where it is easily readable on the outside of your model.

You must know which designated airspace you are flying in (to meet specific requirements).

FPV must be flown from a buddy box.

Very soon you will be required to pass a written test on aeronautical knowledge and carry proof that you have passed the test when you fly.

The roses stink, but you need to wake up and smell the flowers.

Trump removed the protection that we had from the FAA and now the FAA has now created a law "49 U. S. C. 44809, Section 349" covering model aircraft flying. The part of the law that pertains to us is called: "The Exception for Limited Recreational Operations of Unmanned Aircraft". The key word for the future is "limited".

The internet address is: https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...anned-aircraft

Good luck guys
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2019, 12:44 PM
Iím going outlaw, none of that bullchit for me. Catch me if you can.
Jul 20, 2019, 12:44 PM
Wow.
Jul 20, 2019, 01:05 PM
WOW twice
Jul 20, 2019, 01:10 PM
Model flying is not a crime.
Jul 20, 2019, 01:17 PM
DFS#000178
The FAA can kiss my grits.
Jul 20, 2019, 01:19 PM
DFS#000178
Quote:
Trump removed the protection that we had from the FAA and now the FAA has now created a law "49 U. S. C. 44809, Section 349" covering model aircraft flying.
Saying "Trump removed" is kind of misleading. The FAA, upon losing the court case that put the original registrations in effect, slipped it into a defense authorization bill that Trump signed into law.

The FAA was sneaky and went through a back door to get around a court decision which stated they had no legal authority to do what they were doing. It's really only a matter of time before they get sued again because what they did was technically in violation of a court decision.
Last edited by Rampage; Jul 20, 2019 at 01:25 PM.
Jul 20, 2019, 01:21 PM
FA34HM3YC7
Bob,

Before you post here you should actually know what is correct.
We don't need random BS to confuse the issue.
Jul 20, 2019, 01:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhea
Bob,

Could you please un-confuse us?
Jul 20, 2019, 01:28 PM
Right now I'm flying, my models (well 2 of them) on floats , in Canada. I have registered with the FAA, and have my FAA number in my aircraft, but now that means nothing.
As for this UAS pilot ceritfication, I thought if you have a FS pilots license, you are legal?
Anyway I have an FAA Commercial/mutli/instrument rating.
Also a Canadian ATPL SMELS with many "heavies" endorsed on my ATPL.

This sort of stuff is going to kill, model airplane flying.. Now it appears I can't fly my warmliners, Xplorer38, Pulsar 3.2, Typhoon, Flash 2 (my avatar to left ) above 400'. I fly exclusively in Class G airspace. On Launch, my Pulsar 3.2 will climb to 1500 AGL in 15 seconds..
Last edited by 320pilot; Jul 20, 2019 at 01:41 PM.
Jul 20, 2019, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Bob,

I don't see how, what Bob posted is " random BS".
He provided a link to a document in the Federal Register.
https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...anned-aircraft

It's all there in the Federal Register document.
Jul 20, 2019, 01:38 PM
FA34HM3YC7
First it's not a license.
Second just follow the 8 statutory conditions and last learn what airspace you can fly in and do it.
Jul 20, 2019, 01:50 PM
Quote:
First it's not a license.
Second just follow the 8 statutory conditions and last learn what airspace you can fly in and do it.
Ok, you are right. The document I have from the FAA, is a
"Small UAS Certificate of Registration",

a blanket authorization for all my small UAS. But it appears I still can't fly above 400 feet ?
And this document references sec. 336 of Pub L.112-95 which is now revoked.

Maybe at an AMA field, I can fly above 400 '? The nearest one to me is a 1.5 hour drive and it's within Controlled Airspace.
Jul 20, 2019, 01:55 PM
Bombs away! Err...landing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Reynolds
As of 5/17/2019 each of us must have a FAA license to fly our model aircraft. You must have the license available for anyone requesting to see your license. Your models must have your FAA license number placed where it is easily readable on the outside of your model.
No it doesn't, just a small portion of the world does.
Jul 20, 2019, 04:40 PM
Thread OP
Obviously, The FAA is only a USA problem. If you don't live or fly in the USA then the FAA is not your problem, but it sure is ours.

From the posted link: " On Oct 5, 2018, President Trump signed the act that repealed the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (section 336 of Pub. L. 112-95)". That was the law that let us fly pretty much per AMA (community based) rules. That does not exist anymore. We are now flying under "recreational flyers" FAA rules which was just published June 17, 2019.

By the way, flying out of your backyard does not save you from these rules. You do not "own" the airspace above your property.

Read the link!

Quick Reply