Jul 20, 2019, 02:42 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Help needed. Long Range not reaching 300m??

Hi guys, hopefully you can help me understand this.

I built a LR quad and was doing the maiden this morning. My idea was tesnting it only up to 1km far which is not much but was shocked when seeing the low RSSI figures just at 300.

1) At 300m (980ft) and with direct LOS I got readings of 70% facing front and 55% while turning to face to me. I've seen configurations going 2kms away above 95%
2) Just to check how low could the RSSI go down before losing control, I brought it back and flew it behind me and behind a truck at around 2m hight. No more than 30m away (100ft), I got a reading of 19% and when reached 12% I got a failsafe.

What can be so wrong? It is not the RSSI scaling in the OSD.

The gear I used
- Transmitter: Xlite with r9mini configured to 25mw
- Receiver: R9slim
- VTX: FuriousFPV 2.4Ghz configured at 500mw
- Googles: Furious 2.4ghz module with patch + circular
to remove ads between posts
Jul 20, 2019, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
Anybody being able to shed some light?
Jul 20, 2019, 10:16 PM
Lets see some pics of how you've mounted your antenna. Also can you verify that your antenna is properly attached? These things are INSANELY fragile. Much too fragile in my opinion. I've broken multiple antenna on my X4R receivers.

I'm able to fly over 1km on 25mw with my r9mini, so there's definitely something wrong.
Jul 21, 2019, 10:31 AM
Thread OP
I have the antennas in an V shape on top of the quad...

Just yesterday I went out to another place in the middle of nowhere to ensure the problem was not related to interferences.

1) The same 7" failsafed, crashed and broke many parts at exactly 300m distance while turning. This was at 25mw. This is with the r9slim
2) Another miniquad with an r9mm and 100mw in the same place got to 500m and Rssi going down to 65%. It is much better but still incredibly low.

I'm getting the same RSSI using the Super8 or default antenna in the r9mini TX.

Honestly... just on the 7" crash I've calculated around 120USD repair. I think I'm directly moving to Crossfire with the JR adapter for the Xlite.
Jul 21, 2019, 07:05 PM
We are not men, we are DEVO 7e
Do non flying range tests. It's alot cheaper to walk or ride your bike out with your equipment than to fix stuff.
Jul 22, 2019, 03:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanuser
Do non flying range tests. It's alot cheaper to walk or ride your bike out with your equipment than to fix stuff.
I would hope being able to do that!. The problem is that I expect quite a good range... kilometeres of range. I would not go more than 500m away as I'm not confident on that but... failsafing at 300m only??
Aug 05, 2019, 12:51 AM
Did you update both, RX and TX, to latest firmware?
How you do mount antennas?
Aug 07, 2019, 12:11 AM
!!!SkySlayer!!!
A picture is worth a thousand words
Aug 09, 2019, 05:18 PM
Are you running 868mhz or 900mhz on your R9 system?

The antenna on the R9mini need to match the frequency you are running on your system.

I did that mistake once on my R9 system. I bought R9mini from Banggood and did not think of the antennas it came with. It was for 900mhz, i live in Norway and i run 868mhz to be legal.

868mhz kind of work on a 900mhz antenna, but is does exactly what you are describing above...

I am not saying that it is what you are doing.

By the way, i am running EU Flex firmware on my R9 system. 25mw is going fare on the right antennas.
Sep 15, 2019, 01:24 AM
Thread OP
I just gave up r9 system. I build and fly drones for pure joy and was never comfortable with the range jumps and issues.

Destroyed my wallet and directly purchased
- 1xTBS TX (full one)
- 6x Crossfire nano RX
- 2x Crossfire nano diversity RX for the long range ones

Oh boy... I spent 2 days rebuilding and soldering my quads but this is just so perfect. For a better comparison, I flew two three of the quads in the same both with the R9 and the Crossfire.

Findings with same antenna positions

- R9: less than 70% RSSI. 100mw power. Got down to 55% when facing me while flying back
- Crossfire: 97% LQ, I know it is not the same meassure RSSI vs LQ but seen >90% is just pure calm on your soul... and this is at 100mw only!!. When turning or flying back stayed above 95%

On top of that, I hated the cumbersome firwmare support model from FrSky. No more versions missmatches, no more thinking on either LBT/Fport/exact version..... Now with TBS you just have the latest version on the TX and it pushes it wirelessly to each of the receivers in 15 seconds.

I won't go back !! Frsky is just too uncontrolled and wild for me. When you have >10 quads it is too time consuming.
Sep 15, 2019, 04:28 AM
I am flying R9 since a few months and trust this stuff 100%. Never had a failsafe or a problem with this.

A few kilometers are no problem. I am using R9M and R9MM with FLEX F.Port Firmware.

Yes, Crossfire is certainly more noob-friendly, but both of these systems get the job done.

I am using custom build 868MHz antennas from prodrone.pl on TX and RX though: https://shop.prodrone.pl/en_US/c/868...Hz-antennas/37
Sep 15, 2019, 05:34 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorro
I am flying R9 since a few months and trust this stuff 100%. Never had a failsafe or a problem with this.

A few kilometers are no problem. I am using R9M and R9MM with FLEX F.Port Firmware.

Yes, Crossfire is certainly more noob-friendly, but both of these systems get the job done.

I am using custom build 868MHz antennas from prodrone.pl on TX and RX though: https://shop.prodrone.pl/en_US/c/868...Hz-antennas/37
Definitely I had a problem, I'm not saying r9 is crap and crossfire is God... but there are too many problems on config, versions, etc, that can make r9 to fail miserably... while crossfire just works.
Sep 17, 2019, 10:23 AM
I would try and add a capacitor to the 5v pad. If you don't know how to do this, I've seen many videos on this issue and this is what they do to resolve it. From what I understand, It dosnt needs to be huge, 25 volts or so, but this might fix the issue. There are lots of videos on this like I said.
Sep 17, 2019, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
I'll check it, thanks!
Sep 18, 2019, 04:12 PM
Did it fix your issue?

Sent from my Mediatek MTK8173 Chromebook using Tapatalk

Quick Reply