Oct 21, 2019, 10:18 PM

Another dead ESC?

Well, I spoke too soon. I was running my living room race course today and after a few packs, the quad fell out of the air. When I tried to fly it again, one of the motors was stuttering and refusing to spin cleanly. Sometimes it will start to spin, but will start to stutter again as the throttle is increased. It starts to get hot when this happens. I swapped the motors around and it appears to just be that one ESC. Same motor works fine in other slots. I tried to reflow the solder pads for the motor connector but it did not help.

I must have somehow damaged the ESC. I had decent amount of crashing today, but I always disarm quickly. I don't see any sign of damage on the FC, ESC mosfets, no smoke, etc.

Questions:
- Before I throw money at it (new FC), is there anything else I can/should check?
- If I am going to replace the flight controller, is there something more robust (or at least cheaper) I can use? This one (the BetaFPV F4 V2 AIO) feels like it died very easily... Not to mention the first one I had was DOA with two dead ESCs. Seems expensive to replace every two weeks of flying.
- Would this FC work? I don't see why not: BetaFPV F4 2-4S 12A AIO
Last edited by notime2fly; Oct 21, 2019 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Additional info
to remove ads between posts
Oct 21, 2019, 11:28 PM
FireHawx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_OH
This Beta 85x Pro 2 ?

That's the factory setup like the one I put together, I just used Skystars motors, same kv as the Betas, and has a built in receiver on the Crazybee instead of an outboard . . . That Whoop can do everything I want to do flying around my neighborhood, do it very well, and stay in the air a long time doing it. It has no problem carrying bigger batteries than what they ship the Beta with, and even on my smallest 2S 450s, I get solid 5+ minute flights racing around. It's definitely become my favorite outdoor Whoop, and outdoor flyer. Hope yours is as good to you!!

There's another thread for the 85X HD that has a lot of information too, but that hasn't been real active lately either. Most of the Whoop threads have slowed way down over Summer, except the Mobula, which is still fairly active. The Toothpicks were the hot Summer quads, and those went from converting your Whoop to a bunch of factory BNF Pick threads, and even those are slowing down a bit. With cold weather closing in and almost Winter Whoop Season for us northern folks, I'd guess they'd be getting some more activity pretty soon.
Yup, that's the one. Just set it up in BETAFLIGHT which was very easy. I like the external Rx so I can use the range of the 200mW vtx. I have a runcam nano2 (new in box) with the HD canopy. I am gonna run it stock first and then possibly upgrade! I ran a few laps around the house but this one is an outside flier for sure. But it was very smooth and predictable.
Oct 22, 2019, 01:28 AM
Just an earth-bound misfit
Quote:
Originally Posted by notime2fly
Well, I spoke too soon. I was running my living room race course today and after a few packs, the quad fell out of the air. When I tried to fly it again, one of the motors was stuttering and refusing to spin cleanly. Sometimes it will start to spin, but will start to stutter again as the throttle is increased. It starts to get hot when this happens. I swapped the motors around and it appears to just be that one ESC. Same motor works fine in other slots. I tried to reflow the solder pads for the motor connector but it did not help. . . . . . . . . . . . .

- If I am going to replace the flight controller, is there something more robust (or at least cheaper) I can use? This one (the BetaFPV F4 V2 AIO) feels like it died very easily... Not to mention the first one I had was DOA with two dead ESCs. Seems expensive to replace every two weeks of flying.
- Would this FC work? I don't see why not: BetaFPV F4 2-4S 12A AIO
I've had worse luck with Beta boards than I have with the Crazybees . . . They have a lot to do and greatly improve before I'd buy another one from them

Xinte has a really good price on them, and my best performing board I have is the v3 Crazybee, 10a, 2,3, 4S. There's a no receiver version you can swap yours over to, or have a Frsky & Flysky on board. Their customer service is also superb, and I know that from personal experience. I think Nigel still has a discount code for Xinte too. You can probably check on his blog on here @ nigelsheffield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHawx
Yup, that's the one. Just set it up in BETAFLIGHT which was very easy. I like the external Rx so I can use the range of the 200mW vtx. I have a runcam nano2 (new in box) with the HD canopy. I am gonna run it stock first and then possibly upgrade! I ran a few laps around the house but this one is an outside flier for sure. But it was very smooth and predictable.
I have an XM+ just sitting by itself in a bag, and have been thinking about getting a no-receiver board to try it on. Only problem is, I really like all my Whoops the way they are, and would probably be stuck with putting together another one . . . Got an EOs in a T85 kit I got for a Toothpick, have switched that around on a couple quads, and that's the worst camera I've got. The little cheapie KKs are better. I was thinking about trying a Nano 2 also, after reading more good things about it from a lot of people. Would probably have to put it on that new one too, since I like the ones I have on my Whoops I have now. It's a shame I'd have to put together another Whoop just to try those two things, but I know I've read a number of times that nobody can possibly have too many Whoops. It'll be tough, but I guess I'll just try and deal with it . . . ₿ↄ}
Oct 22, 2019, 08:24 AM
Quote:
I've had worse luck with Beta boards than I have with the Crazybees . . . They have a lot to do and greatly improve before I'd buy another one from them

Xinte has a really good price on them, and my best performing board I have is the v3 Crazybee, 10a, 2,3, 4S. There's a no receiver version you can swap yours over to, or have a Frsky & Flysky on board. Their customer service is also superb, and I know that from personal experience. I think Nigel still has a discount code for Xinte too. You can probably check on his blog on here @ nigelsheffield.
Thanks for the reply. I got trigger happy last night and ordered the BetaFPV 2-4S FC so I'll give that a shot first and if it dies again, I'll try the Crazybee.

In general, what is the expectation to have in terms of these FC holding up to crashes? Like, if it died after a single crash into a couch, would that be reason to contact the reseller/manufacturer to ask for a replacement? Or are people just replacing these $40 FCs on a regular basis?

I have definitely crashed the quad, but not hard and there is no damage to the frame, props, motors, etc. My Tinyhawk Freestyle has been flow at full speed into the ground many times and I've killed a couple motors, but the FC AIO is fine.
Oct 22, 2019, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by notime2fly
Thanks for the reply. I got trigger happy last night and ordered the BetaFPV 2-4S FC so I'll give that a shot first and if it dies again, I'll try the Crazybee.

In general, what is the expectation to have in terms of these FC holding up to crashes? Like, if it died after a single crash into a couch, would that be reason to contact the reseller/manufacturer to ask for a replacement? Or are people just replacing these $40 FCs on a regular basis?

I have definitely crashed the quad, but not hard and there is no damage to the frame, props, motors, etc. My Tinyhawk Freestyle has been flow at full speed into the ground many times and I've killed a couple motors, but the FC AIO is fine.
Only thing I've broke in a crash is a Whoop frame. All but two of my n/g boards in both flavors were dead or dying outta the box . . . or bag . . .

I had one Crazybee v2.0 after a couple weeks, would lose most all the Betaflight settings when it sat overnight. Had to re-bind, reset up my switches, batt voltage, even lost the name of quad . . . but flying it and changing out batteries, it was fine. It finally did bite . . . Xinte offered to replace it for me with Ĺ off on the newest v3 board that cost me about $18, and is on itís way. Iíve had every other Crazybee Iíve bought from them that were n/g replaced free, and shipped out the next day after getting their email telling me.

My last 1-2S Beta board, I was using on the 85 Whoop with the 802s. It was really rainy here at the time, and I'd just been cruising around inside on 1S. When it finally dried out, I took it outside, and it seemed kinda under powered, so I doubled up my 1s batts I use on the Mobula. I flipped the ďArmĒ switch and thought I set off a smoke bomb . . . Have also used those batteries, and still do on my other quads, and they work fine.

That was the third of the 1-2S Beta boards that was replaced for it, because the first two were DOA, and that's the one they just want to let me buy another for a whole 30% off, and still would cost me $32 . . . I can get a Crazybee from a number of places for that or less without any special deal . . .

Hopefully, youíll have better luck with your newer version of the Beta board. QC sure doesnít seem to be a major priority with these things . . .
Oct 22, 2019, 09:21 PM
FireHawx
So got a few packs through my 85pro and it was OUTSTANDING! The power was smooth and it was so quiet in the air. As it got a few feet away from me I couldn't even hear it. It is the best whoop i have ever flown..no question. One point of issue is the fisheye from the camera. It seems to be a different lens than the 75x? Side by side they are different. Anybody else notice this? Even with the GNB 520 it didn't show the extra weight in flight handling. The little extra weight seemed to keep it from being too "floaty" cause after a few punch outs i had to wrestle it down. But again it was great!
Oct 23, 2019, 01:54 AM
Quote:
So got a few packs through my 85pro and it was OUTSTANDING! The power was smooth and it was so quiet in the air. As it got a few feet away from me I couldn't even hear it. It is the best whoop i have ever flown..no question. One point of issue is the fisheye from the camera. It seems to be a different lens than the 75x? Side by side they are different. Anybody else notice this? Even with the GNB 520 it didn't show the extra weight in flight handling. The little extra weight seemed to keep it from being too "floaty" cause after a few punch outs i had to wrestle it down. But again it was great!
What "extra" weight??

It's an 85 with 1103/11kvs and 2" props, not a 1S 65 with 31mms . . . ₿ↄ}

I've got 5 Gensace 520s, and start my sessions with them . . . that weight doesn't even phase it. I also use a 650 Tattu, and get 6Ĺ minute flights and sure doesn't seem like it slows down any. I even have an 800 Tattu, and get 8+ minutes to pushing 8, racing around the whole flight. Even with that one, it's got plenty of punch to stay outta trouble, and plenty of speed too. I don't do much acrobatics, just racing around and doing some diving from about treetop height. The 800 might be a bit heavy for some real acrobatics though, but the 520s are only 32 grams, and the Whoop will still jump 20' on a quick punch.

The more I've been flying them, I've been liking my 85s more and more, and barely fly anything else when I get them outside. My Mobula 75 just sits there looking sad wondering if it will get any air time, and even my Primos are starting to bwitch . . . Enjoy your new 85, the more you fly it, the more you're gonna like it . . . I can easily see why Shutterbug liked his so much . . . they are flippin' awesome !!
Oct 24, 2019, 09:01 PM
FireHawx
Well by extra weight, I mean using the GNB 520 vs the stock 300mah beta battery. It's about 10 grams extra. But it didn't show the extra weight in flight. I did almost get a little washout once but it quickly corrected itself as it should. Power loops, dives, inverted yaw spins, it can do all that and whatever else you throw at it. It is a fantastic flier!
Oct 25, 2019, 11:33 PM
FireHawx
Well, something new today. Had my 85 out for some stick time and after a few packs I loaded up another battery and only got the screen and betaflight logo and then... Nothing!?. I thought it was gonna be a burned board, but I plug it into betaflight and everything was gone? All the tuning, settings, everything gone. As it was a new board right outta the box. I don't know what to make of this as it has never happened before. I set it up again and all was good? I did lose the tune, does anyone have the stock pid tune to share? Any ideas as too why this would happen and what's the cause?
Oct 26, 2019, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Well, something new today. Had my 85 out for some stick time and after a few packs I loaded up another battery and only got the screen and betaflight logo and then... Nothing!?. I thought it was gonna be a burned board, but I plug it into betaflight and everything was gone? All the tuning, settings, everything gone. As it was a new board right outta the box. I don't know what to make of this as it has never happened before. I set it up again and all was good? I did lose the tune, does anyone have the stock pid tune to share? Any ideas as too why this would happen and what's the cause?
I had a Crazybee do that over Summer, and posted asking if anybody else had run into that. Had a ton of looks, but not even a "that's weird" comment. Couldn't find anything like it in a bunch of searches. Mine would be fine changing batteries, but overnight, would lose everything, like yours. I'd have to reset most everything, switches, battery settings, even the name and re-bind to it again. Some overnights it would keep some of my settings, but mostly ended up like right outta the box. I tried a save from a dump, and a couple re-sets in Betaflight, but no luck. Completely bit after about a week and a Ĺ . . .

I've had worse luck with Beta boards, but that's one thing that didn't happen to any of my Beta boards that bit.
Oct 26, 2019, 10:08 AM
Quote:
. . .
Hopefully, youíll have better luck with your newer version of the Beta board. QC sure doesnít seem to be a major priority with these things . . .
I finally got the new 12A FC and installed it. Luckily this one was not DOA. It was pretty much a drop in replacement. I am still able to run Fport and get smart audio and telemetry. Everything is working great and Iím back to ripping around my house having fun. I have it running BF4.1 with RPM filtering and it flies awesome inside. I need to get it outside and really put it through itís paces.

One interesting thing about this new FC is that is has a current sensor. I am seeing current spikes during crashes (hitting a wall props first for instance) that spike up to 27A so far. This is even with me instantly disarming when the crash happens. I can see how a 6A limit on the ESC would easily get fried. Hopefully the 12A ESC (it is 12 amps per ESC right?) will give me enough headroom to avoid burning out in a crash.
Oct 26, 2019, 10:24 AM
FPV Ground Pounder
Quote:
I had something similar happen to me, when I had the board out all was good but when it was mounted in the frame if I attached it to BF to make an adjustment when I plugged it into a battery to fly all the setting would be gone. Never happened with a battery. Got to thinking about this and it downed on me that it was only happening when it was mounted in the frame plugging in the USB. Started looking closely at the USB cable and the socket, they didn't exactly line up. I trimmed the battery mount a little so the USB cable was going in straight and it has been fine ever since. The USB cable that I use had a fairly large end so that might have added to the issue too.
Oct 27, 2019, 03:29 PM
Hi, I have an other question could you explain me how to mount a Happymodel diamond vtx inside a beta 85 pro 2? I had the EOS2 and Dia vtx inside a trashcan which uses higher standoffs than the beta... Right now I would want to try out two setup ideas and am not sure how to mount them.

Setup 1: Beta85pro2 -z02 and vtx +eos2 and diamond vtx
Setup 2: -z02 + baby turtle whoop edition

By the way I can provide you three clips of me flying around

late evening session with someone we already know | fpv tinywhoop (3 min 27 sec)

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3m2V8eI...d=2jeun32xfhdt

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3zVjepo...=15qjt0dbn87hz
Oct 27, 2019, 05:28 PM
FireHawx
Just put some foam tape between the FC and the VTX. Mount the VTX to the same mounts as the FC and put the foam tape between the two and your good.
Oct 27, 2019, 08:18 PM
Best place I've found for an EOs 2 is the bottom back of a drawer I don't go into much . . . worse pos camera I have . . . $6 KKs do a way better job . . .

You're right though, I do know that Low Battery dude, he really gets around . . . nicely done vid . . .

I was going to put my ♦ vTx on cut down rubber grommets and the foam tape spacer. Happymodel has a spacer file you can print your own, and thought they had them made up too, that goes on the Larva and it's Crazybee with that vTx to keep it off the board.

Quick Reply