Jul 19, 2019, 11:38 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

GPS and stabilization for FRSKY

Just got an e-mail from Grayson Hobby. If I'm reading this right, You get GPS and stabilization for FRSKY 6 channel. Only $29. This is for a fixed wing correct? I didn't realize they(FRSKY) had this.
Last edited by Twisted Pilot; Jul 19, 2019 at 03:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2019, 12:06 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
FrSky sells two stabilized receivers, the S6R and S8R, which have been on the market for several years.

They also sell a GPS sensor which works with all S.Port receivers, this has the ultra-descriptive model name of GPS Sensor

They also sell a selection of FC's for multirotor use, which include an integrated receiver (2.4GHz or 900MHz)and may have a GPS unit.
Jul 19, 2019, 01:08 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawz
FrSky sells two stabilized receivers, the S6R and S8R, which have been on the market for several years.

They also sell a GPS sensor which works with all S.Port receivers, this has the ultra-descriptive model name of GPS Sensor

They also sell a selection of FC's for multirotor use, which include an integrated receiver (2.4GHz or 900MHz)and may have a GPS unit.
Ya but not at this price point. I do have a question, the description for the FRSKY GPS Sensor states it requires a "X" series reciever . The Smart Port GPS (GPS V2) sensor is easy to use, just plug it into a Smart Port equipped receiver at one end, and position the sensor so the end marked "UP" has a clear view of the sky. This sensor does require an X series receiver. I do have a S6R. Will it work with it?
Jul 19, 2019, 01:34 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Pilot
Ya but not at this price point. I do have a question, the description for the FRSKY GPS Sensor states it requires a "X" series reciever . The Smart Port GPS (GPS V2) sensor is easy to use, just plug it into a Smart Port equipped receiver at one end, and position the sensor so the end marked "UP" has a clear view of the sky. This sensor does require an X series receiver. I do have a S6R. Will it work with it?
Retail on the S6R is $28, so $29 is no deal unless they include the GPS unit in the package. The GPS unit retails for $32 normally.

X series receivers were the first S.Port capable receiver and the GPS sensor was introduced with them, prior to the later S.Port-capable receivers being introduced. The S6R has an S.Port connector (it's the 7th set of pins, where the S.Bus is on the X6R) and can use any S.Port sensor.
Jul 19, 2019, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
Yes, with GPS. https://graysonhobby.com/hobby-porte...eid=2c4f1bcddf
Last edited by Twisted Pilot; Jul 19, 2019 at 03:25 PM.
Jul 19, 2019, 05:36 PM
Sagitta Fanboy
Ah, that's one of the several 'D8' compatibles.

Wouldn't pay $29 for it, no way. Not when an S6R is $28, even if the S6R doesn't come with GPS.
Sep 17, 2019, 02:21 PM
Has anyone used this crazy thing, yet? I bought one and the instructions are impossible to understand! Help! Thanks
Sep 18, 2019, 10:46 AM
F.E. Youtube
FrSKY Telemetry Sensors (11 min 49 sec)
Sep 18, 2019, 01:07 PM
The Hobby Porter is not a bad stab once you figure it out. It is primarily a stab, with no hold as best I can tell, and the gps locks in seconds! The return to home and orbit thing scared me so much I didn’t allow it to complete. The S series from Frsky is clearly superior, but awful to setup. Overall, I’d say “B.”

Oh. The descriptions for the fr610 and 810 DONT clearly tell you the 810 alone has one key recovery since you operate it on channel 7. I feel a bit deceived by this as I did buy one 610.
Sep 25, 2019, 06:13 PM
Ok, I’m now giving the device a solid A, but the instructions a C minus. It seems it has BOTH stab and hold, and the crazy gps auto circle/return to home works like a charm if you’ve got the guts! The hold attitude function is the MOST natural I’ve ever used, and this is a stone cold bargain. Now, if I could just figure out the telemetry....

Quick Reply