Jul 23, 2019, 06:14 AM
Tyro of the Hudson
Thread OP
Glad it is of interest. I almost didnít post it here as a new poster and a fledgling flyer. I read a lot on web boards and going through many of the old posts was very informative even if certain planes are gone or simply shipping in a new package.

It really did surprise me that the stores and warehouses go out of stock so soon in the summer. When I started looking at planes in the early spring there was a lot more options to choose. Not saying they were the plane I was needed but just the supply and demand is a thing. Also another surprise looking at the older and long running posts, .....how much prices have creeped upward. at least the quality and appearance have improved with it. I like things scale as a former styrene scale modeler (25 years ago).
to remove ads between posts
Jul 23, 2019, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelonSteel
I like things scale as a former styrene scale modeler (25 years ago).
I too built Airfix, Revell, Monogram models in my Youth.

If You don't worry about $ and size there is some very good scale models around. But a true scale model
is usually not suitable for warbird beginners. They also requires a lot of space both for storing, maintenance
and most important flying safe. A big, heavy and fast RC plane out of control is dangerous!

Expect to make mistakes, even with good advisors/club around You ... just take look at Youtube for examples.
Last edited by FLOEY; Jul 23, 2019 at 04:34 PM.
Jul 23, 2019, 05:02 PM
Tyro of the Hudson
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLOEY
I too built Airfix, Revell, Monogram models in my Youth.

If You don't worry about $ and size there is some very good scale models around. But a true scale model
is usually not suitable for warbird beginners. They also requires a lot of space both for storing, maintenance
and most important flying safe. A big, heavy and fast RC plane out of control is dangerous!

Expect to make mistakes, even with good advisors/club around You ... just take look at Youtube for examples.

For a flying model some concessions have to be made, materials and stuff doesn’t always scale down. I can accept that. Even the tower hobbies planes with fixed wire landing gear on an otherwise nice plane. I still can enjoy that. I like those better than rc planes that have no real plane behind them. Just a preference I guess.

Oh I make mistakes. . My IP saved the club trainer from me flying behind a tree out of control. I later hit that tree with my cub. The tree is possessed. I fly on club nights and I am extra cautious and worry about an out of control issue and flying getting to close to the other pilots. I relax when I have the field alone and make less mistakes I think.

That is one reason I gravitated to the cub, pretty slow and stable. I don’t need a lot of speed to be happy. Might be why I like the landings so much, slow and close and you need to be on your game to land right.
Aug 19, 2019, 11:46 AM
Tyro of the Hudson
Thread OP
Moving along I purchased plane three, the Tower Hobbies hellcat and a lemon stabilization receiver. The hellcat is built but waiting on the lemon.

The PT17 is built, maidened but I had an issue getting the safe select to activate. Turns out I skipped the channel assign for the select switch. It was a bit wild on the maiden and I had my hands full. Easy up, some close calls from overcontrolling, wild screaming throttle to climb out of the danger zone. Two test landing approaches before going for the real thing. Came in nice with the exception of the mild noseover at the end of the rollout, not enough elevator rate set to hold it down. I was pleased I flew her in instead of trying to glide plop her down.

A few weeks with the PT17 and I will see where my skills are at before attempting the hellcat. It is already assembled with two varathane coatings on it. Just needs that lemon and the right programming.

Between support here and the HH support line the PT17 is now ready with safe.
Aug 19, 2019, 01:04 PM
Quote:
Moving along I purchased plane three, the Tower Hobbies hellcat
The PT17 is built, maidened
The PT-17 is a "slow" biplane isn't it?

Flying a fast low winged fighter like the Hellcat might be a bit different but You got to start somewhere.
Don't give up if You crash (it's just a part of the game) just fix and continue flying.

Be aware that the dark blue Navy color may make orientation difficult. My F-4U (RIP) was a pain to fly
in grey weather and evenings. Mid day bright sun easy! Will get another one because I realy liked the plane.
Aug 19, 2019, 02:36 PM
IWC
IWC
Have you seen the review of the FMS P-47 (1.7m) by the rcinformer?
Aug 19, 2019, 04:06 PM
Tyro of the Hudson
Thread OP
Quote:

Flying a fast low winged fighter like the Hellcat might be a bit different but You got to start somewhere.
Don't give up if You crash (it's just a part of the game) just fix and continue flying.

Be aware that the dark blue Navy color may make orientation difficult. My F-4U (RIP) was a pain to fly
in grey weather and evenings. Mid day bright sun easy! Will get another one because I realy liked the plane.

Didnít seem slow when I was overcontrolling it all over the place on high rates.
Aug 19, 2019, 04:11 PM
Tyro of the Hudson
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC

I don’t think I have. I remember the Eflite 1.2m one, a bit expensive. The 1.7m might not go in the Jeep.
Aug 20, 2019, 08:23 AM
Tyro of the Hudson
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by IWC
Found the videos. Found the 1500 first but watched both. Stellar scale details!

Thanks!
Aug 20, 2019, 02:59 PM
Awesome choice with the Tower Hobbies F6F! I have one and find it to be one of the best flying warbirds in my hanger, only second to the PZ/HZ Corsair. My Hellcat is a dedicated hand launch/belly lander since I hate the look of gear hanging down and I can't find grass short enough to work for it. To help keep the bottom looking good, I used the clear plastic skid plate from the PZ/E-Flite 44" P-47. I also kept the 3-bladed prop and haven't had a single issue with it on belly landings. The Hellcat is a highly under rated RC plane. I am sure you will love it.

A few people suggested the E-Flite P-47, which I am not sure if that if that is the 1.2m or the 44" one. I have the E-Flite 44" P-47, which is the same as the Parkzone except with flaps and retracts installed. For some reason, I have found it to be difficult to fly and unstable. I got the plane better after using a height gauge to align all the surfaces with far more precision than I could get with a straight edge. The CG has been checked dozens of times and is right on for the factory. It basically needs 75%+ throttle with the 2-blade prop to stay in the air. Pull the power back to land and it gets very unstable and mushes through the air. I have found the plane to be frustrating since the overall opinion is that the plane flies perfectly out of the box. I much prefer the TH F6F, P-51, PZ Corsair, or just about anything else.
Aug 20, 2019, 04:14 PM
Tyro of the Hudson
Thread OP
Quote:

It’s funny you said that about crashing. A club member was flying his TH Hellcat and I asked him how slow does it go without tip stalling. He showed me. Fortunately it was a minor drop. I felt bad as I asked and he was demonstrating the edge of envelope and got bit.
Aug 21, 2019, 12:55 AM
My vote was for the E-Flite P-47. Getting back into the hobby, I built up confidence with a turbo timber and then moved to the 47 when I felt ready. It really is an awesome plane to land. It just floats in. It certainly needs rudder on takeoff but I try to not pour on the power at once.
Aug 21, 2019, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Itís funny you said that about crashing. A club member was flying his TH Hellcat and I asked him how slow does it go without tip stalling. He showed me. Fortunately it was a minor drop.
Flying too fast or too slow both are bad for a newbie fighter pilot.

Since I was used to slowflyers I tend to slow down too much mostly (still do sometimes, bad pilot habit ... )

Quick Reply