Aug 28, 2019, 12:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
He was a really great guy, too. He retired from the State Police decades earlier, always extremely helpful to anybody and everybody.

He gave my sons a number of planes. His son and grandson ran a garage and was my go-to mechanic. Really sad day when he left us.

Andy
Sounds like a good guy! Sounds like he really got to enjoy his retirement, too!
to remove ads between posts
Sep 18, 2019, 10:25 AM
Thread OP

What's the hold up on the Bandito?

Back in April I dropped a 50+LB box on one of my favorite planes; a Sig four star 20 I had built several years ago. I was SO upset and ticked at myself as I'm always careful with my models. I ordered a new kit the same day. I had gotten a good bit of it complete a few months ago, but wanted to finish things up so I could maiden it this season.
Sep 18, 2019, 01:07 PM
There are some who call me....
Cool color scheme on your original 4*. Sorry to hear of its demise, there truly is nothing that makes me angrier than a self-inflicted wound like that. The new one looks great too, I'm sure you'll get a lot of good flights out of it.

The Bandito is coming along great. Do you have hopes of finishing it up to maiden this season?
Sep 18, 2019, 01:17 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbelltf

The Bandito is coming along great. Do you have hopes of finishing it up to maiden this season?
I am hoping to, but as you know, here in the North East it all depends on weather. Could start snowing by October or could be 70 in December!
By the way, what is the site you bought your floats from? The one you mentioned earlier in this thread seems like a spam site.
Sep 18, 2019, 03:26 PM
There are some who call me....
It was called Plane Fun Floats, but appears the website is no longer there. That's a bummer, they are really nice floats.

You could try http://www.seaplanesupply.com/index.htm, they have a good selection of flat and v-bottom floats.
Sep 18, 2019, 07:45 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the link! Lots of good info on that site as well.
Sep 24, 2019, 08:52 PM
Thread OP

Engine change

I had originally planned on using a Saito 45S (special), but I was not liking the looks of it on this plane for some reason. I decided to go with a O.S. FS 48 instead. I picked this one up here in the classifieds.
Ad read, " a couple break-in runs and a few flights". I knew by the looks of the two pics in the ad there was definitely more run time than stated, so I made an offer and it was mine. Internally it was in better shape than I thought it would be. After receiving in the mail I did a quick look over and then ran about 10 ounces of fuel through it to get things loosened up for tear down as the seller said it hadn't been run in years. So here is the Bandito powerplant all cleaned and freshened up...
Last edited by kimchiyuk; Sep 24, 2019 at 09:03 PM.
Sep 24, 2019, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
Resin applied to fuel tank area for fuel proofing and 8 oz. DUBRO fuel tank assembled. After installing tank, I will do the top cowl sheeting, which I cut and pear-shaped by wetting and securing to plastic cups that matched the fuselage contour.

Quick Reply