Aug 24, 2019, 12:40 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
In my drawings the width of the base, and thus the distance between the fuselage sides, is 3 and 5/16" at F4, and 3" at F5.
See pics
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2019, 01:50 PM
A man with a plan
That's pretty much what my drawings are saying. Actually, the bottom of F4 is 1/16" narrower, but it's pretty close. I'll blow that one up a bit.
Aug 24, 2019, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
That's pretty much what my drawings are saying. Actually, the bottom of F4 is 1/16" narrower, but it's pretty close. I'll blow that one up a bit.
Let me know if you need any other measurements.
Aug 24, 2019, 03:25 PM
A man with a plan
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it.
Aug 28, 2019, 09:03 AM
Thread OP

Well CRAPOLA!!

This is what I get for doing that "one last thing" before closing up shop for the night
Not only did I epoxy the trailing edge center section pieces, but I also fiberglassed it....WITHOUT installing the aileron torque rods!!!!! So I cut them off and sanded back to shape and started all over. I've made some goofy mistakes while building, but this one might have made the top of the list
Aug 28, 2019, 09:49 AM
A man with a plan
At least the fiberglass was beautiful.
Aug 28, 2019, 10:10 AM
What are you going to use for a canopy?
Aug 28, 2019, 10:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
At least the fiberglass was beautiful.
Ha ha, that's one way to see the good in a bad situation!
Aug 28, 2019, 10:18 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray93J
What are you going to use for a canopy?
15" Warbird canopy from Sig. Another member on here, Campbelltf, built a Bandito a few years ago and posted his build log. This is the canopy he said he used. The plans have a Sig number for the canopy, but is no longer valid. I think the one I have is the same one on the plans anyway. I imagine the number changed over the years.
Last edited by kimchiyuk; Aug 28, 2019 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Aug 28, 2019, 10:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchiyuk
This is what I get for doing that "one last thing" before closing up shop for the night
That's like saying you're taking a model up for "one last flight" before going home for the day. One of my friends in NJ would never say that. One day he did. Went home, had a heart attack, and died.

Andy
Aug 28, 2019, 10:56 AM
Thread OP

Another plans fail!

So as I was going to start working on the horizontal stabilizer and elevator last night; cutting hinge slots, final sanding etc, and I find out the elevator halves are NO where near the same size. The elevator is built over the plan and the leading edge is 1/4"X1/2" balsa. After complete, you then cut the elevator leading edge between the elevator halves and then use music wire to join the halves to clear the rudder. As I'm trying to center the elevator halves against the horizontal stabilizer, I notice the elevator halves are way off (see pics) and I cannot center the halves properly. So instead of building a new elevator, I pinned the two halves together and sanded them to equal sizes. I obviously want the elevator halves to be equal, not only for looks, but they were so different it would have affected trim and elevator response during flight. The elevator on the plans was not only longer on one side, but the distance from the leading to trailing edge was also off. This is why when you look at the pics of the elevator halves AFTER sanding, you can see how the structure doesn't line up like it should. What I mean by this is that when you put the elevator halves together, they should be identical like one was built on top of the other.
Also, some of the balsa I used was a bit soft and I dont like the way soft balsa drills. Instead of using wire to join the elevator halves, I used 1/4" dowel.
Aug 28, 2019, 10:58 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
That's like saying you're taking a model up for "one last flight" before going home for the day.
Also the famous last words of many that, "make just one more flight", and then crash the plane after a good day of flying.
Aug 28, 2019, 12:09 PM
A man with a plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchiyuk
Also the famous last words of many that, "make just one more flight", and then crash the plane after a good day of flying.
That's what I was thinking. I was surprised when the story ended with a heart attack.
Aug 28, 2019, 12:33 PM
He was a really great guy, too. He retired from the State Police decades earlier, always extremely helpful to anybody and everybody.

He gave my sons a number of planes. His son and grandson ran a garage and was my go-to mechanic. Really sad day when he left us.

Andy

Quick Reply