Aug 24, 2019, 10:27 AM
Thread OP
[QUOTE=Balsaworkbench;42346559]The plan has a lot of errors, so I had to make the parts match each other regardless of what the plan says.

For those who are following along, I mentioned that there were some aspects of the kit that are inconsistent with any of the several views shown on the plan, none of which agree with each other, but then I didn't tell Dustin what any of these issues were, specifically. I wanted to see if he could figure it out and build it without any instructions. So far everything looks great. It's been a while since I did the drafting and cutting, so I don't even remember where the other problem areas are. It seems like there was something about the fuselage sides and bulkheads.[/QUOTE]

Rob,
Here is what I've found during fuselage construction:

- Former F-4 was 3/32" too narrow. If you reference the plans, F-4 is about an inch forward of F-4B. This is all within the "box structure" of the fuselage. The width of F-4B, cockpit floor and forward wing mount plate are all the same, so this is how wide the "box structure" HAS to be. Instead of cutting a new former I just added 1/8" X 1/4" balsa strip to the front and back bottom of F-4. (See pic).

- Former F-5 was 1/8" too narrow. Again, I did the same thing as F-4 (added balsa strip to make up the difference). Since the structure where F-5 is placed is still quite stiff and rigid I didn't want to compress the fuselage sides to make it fit! Especially since F-6 was a perfect fit. If I compressed the fuselage sides, I would have had to remove material from F-6. This is why I decided to add 1/16" to each side of F-5.

- Rear wing mount plate was 1//8" too narrow. Again, where the rear wing mount plate is located is in the "box structure" that is determined by the widths of F-4B and the front wing mount plate.
To remedy this I added 1/16" ply to each side of the wing mount plate by gluing with 30 minute epoxy.

I just want to add that Rob and I both knew there were A LOT of inconsistencies on these plans (unfortunately the best set available) and as Rob said, he did the best he could with the plans he had to work with to make a short kit for the Bandito. I recieved this short kit from him knowing I would mostly run into some issues and he wanted to see if I found them and how I dealt with each issue. As far as parts fit from the short kit, these are the only issues I found. At this point in construction, all of the short kit parts have been used so I should have no more issues going forward.
Last edited by kimchiyuk; Aug 25, 2019 at 10:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2019, 10:31 AM
A man with a plan
I was just posting about the irregularities, and then I saw your post. I'll read and catch up with your comments first.
Aug 24, 2019, 10:39 AM
A man with a plan
So if I widen these three parts, everything will fit correctly on the next kit?

By the way, this project is starting to look really good.
Aug 24, 2019, 10:57 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsaworkbench
So if I widen these three parts, everything will fit correctly on the next kit?

By the way, this project is starting to look really good.
Thank you for the compliment!

Yes if the parts I mentioned were the dimensions I stated, it should go together like a puzzle!

I am actually very impressed how close you got the parts fit to begin with. When you lay the fuselage on the plans (top view) it matches from the front of the fuselage to F-4B. The tail ends up a bit wider than the plans illustrate. And considering how fuzzy the lines are, especially on that particular view, it makes using the plans for tail construction difficult (if one was trying to build exactly to the plan, but this isn't a Sig kit)
As far as the formers on the plans, I can't imagine spending the time to cut my own kit; just to find out how off many of the parts really were. When I received the kit from you I placed all of the short kit parts over the plans and I couldn't believe the differences! Since I have building experience, I knew it would all come together, but someone without experience may have felt overwhelmed and confused.
Last edited by kimchiyuk; Aug 25, 2019 at 10:54 AM.
Aug 24, 2019, 11:14 AM
A man with a plan
I have a few kits like that, where the plan is terrible. Sometimes there are egregious drafting errors, and sometimes the scan is distorted or fuzzy. The trick is to draw the shape on top of the plan with the drafting software, and take measurements from that, while using the plan only as a suggestion. It's tricky to keep track of the big picture, though.

I'll go ahead and fix the parts you mentioned, but it doesn't look as if you need any pieces replaced. I did a Canadair from a really bad plan, and I had to send the guy a couple of new bulkheads because the hull angle was off.

From what I've seen so far you're always able to make whatever you're building look good. This design looks cool to start with, so I'm sure yours is going to be a real eye catcher when it's done.
Aug 24, 2019, 11:17 AM
A man with a plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchiyuk
And considering how fuzzy the lines are, especially on that particular view, it makes using the plans for tail construction difficult
Maybe you need one of these: https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=11465
Aug 24, 2019, 11:26 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
https://www.airfieldmodels.com/store...ture_system_2/
I actually just purchased one of these this past week. I've wanted to set up a magnetic building board for quite some time. It's definitely not needed, but looks like fun and should make many building projects easier once I get the hang of it.
Aug 24, 2019, 11:37 AM
A man with a plan
Regarding Bulkheads 4 and 5, should I stretch the entire bulkhead out, or just the base where it fits between the fuselage sides?
Aug 24, 2019, 11:53 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Regarding Bulkheads 4 and 5, should I stretch the entire bulkhead out, or just the base where it fits between the fuselage sides?
Just the base where they fit into the fuselage sides. The sides of the bulkheads actually lined up perfectly with the sides of the fuselage.
Aug 24, 2019, 11:57 AM
Thread OP
FedEx just stopped by. Sneak peak of the color scheme
Aug 24, 2019, 12:04 PM
A man with a plan
Now I'm confused. If the outside edges meet the outside edges of the fuselage sides perfectly, then why doesn't the base meet the inside edges of the fuselage sides? I'm looking at my drawings, and the notches are .25" wide, which is the thickness of the fuselage side, right?
Last edited by Balsaworkbench; Aug 24, 2019 at 12:10 PM.
Aug 24, 2019, 12:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Now I'm confused. If the outside edges meet the outside edges of the fuselage sides perfectly, then why doesn't the base meet the inside edges of the fuselage sides? I'm looking at my drawings, and the notches are .25" wide, which is the thickness of the fuselage side, right?
Yes the fuselage sides are 1/4 X 1/2. I sanded the fuselage halves both sides before starting assembly, but I cant imagine taking off that much material.
Aug 24, 2019, 12:21 PM
A man with a plan
Was the notch a quarter inch wide on your bulkheads?
Aug 24, 2019, 12:22 PM
A man with a plan
In my drawings the width of the base, and thus the distance between the fuselage sides, is 3 and 5/16" at F4, and 3" at F5.
Aug 24, 2019, 12:27 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Was the notch a quarter inch wide on your bulkheads?
Yes the 1/4"X1/4" balsa fit perfectly.

Quick Reply