Jul 19, 2019, 09:34 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Help to ID old glider owned by Le Gray LFS#9

Need help identifying a new to me 2-channel glider. I received it from the granddaughter of the original owner, Le Gray of California. LSF#9 – AMA 10565. The little I found on the internet is that Le Gray achieved LFS Level 3 in January of 1975.

The glider is in excellent shape. Don’t even need to tighten the covering. It does not ‘feel’ brittle. Came with two sets of wings. Polyhedral set of about 100” wing span and a dihedral set of about 108” WS. A full flying ‘T’ tail. Interesting thing about the wings is that each wing is attached to the fuse with 2 separate metal joiners/spars – for a total of 4 (one missing). Fuse is buildup balsa /ply. Received with a RS 3 channel radio (glider is a RE only). Also present was a Heathkit radio. Only Id on the glider is that one of the dihedral wings has a graphics saying Windancer. The horizontal says ‘Dixie Gull’

I have not found anything with a reference to Windancer or Dixie Gull in my searches. (See post #6 below)

Anyone knows what it is?
Last edited by gp49; Jul 19, 2019 at 03:12 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 19, 2019, 02:03 PM
Really nice piece of History. RC Soaring owes much to Le and his friends from South Bay. I will get Fred Weaver to check in and see if he can add any information. Le ran around with Ken Willard who built several Gliders using Sailor in the name. Could be that Le built one of Ken’s unpublished prototypes.
Larry
Jul 19, 2019, 02:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Jolly
Really nice piece of History. RC Soaring owes much to Le and his friends from South Bay. I will get Fred Weaver to check in and see if he can add any information. Le ran around with Ken Willard who built several Gliders using Sailor in the name. Could be that Le built one of Ken’s unpublished prototypes.
Larry

Thanks Larry!

Any info greatly appreciated!

Mark
Jul 19, 2019, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
I just found a mention of Le Gray on www.thermalrider. He is pictured there with his 'Yankee Gull", AMA Model Builder magazine Plan 3721, 100" and 144" gliders from 3/72...

Maybe the 'Dixie Gull' is the model name..

Not sure if that helps someone to recognize the glider I got or not.
Last edited by gp49; Jul 22, 2019 at 10:59 AM.
Jul 19, 2019, 02:53 PM
That plane looks pretty familiar to me.... And I honestly believe it's Le's Windancer wings on the Dixie Gull fuselage. Le published his plans in Model Builder magazine back in the 70's.. It's possible to find the plans in one of the issues. As far as radios go..... The RS was actually a cute/nice looking radio but they always had range problems. I loved the little RS 3 channel pictured but had to quit using it for reliability issues. Ken Willard would fly with us occasionally but I never saw him with anything like the plane pictured. The only time I ever got to fly with Le was at the larger contests. He rarely came out to sport fly with us. In later years, I spent more time with him at Hayward airport where he kept his Bellanca in a hangar fairly close to mine. Le Gray was a wonderful man. Full of Enthusiasm AND Wisdom..... He was an Outstanding CD when he ran a contest. I could go on and on but this post is supposed to be about the plane he built above and it's ID..... The best bet on the ID would be to somehow search thru some Model Builders from the first or second year of publications.
Good Luck.... The plane looks great and appears to be in fine shape. That is a RARE find for airplanes from almost 50 years ago...... Geez, are we really that old???
Weav
Jul 19, 2019, 03:09 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weav
That plane looks pretty familiar to me.... And I honestly believe it's Le's Windancer wings on the Dixie Gull fuselage. Le published his plans in Model Builder magazine back in the 70's.. It's possible to find the plans in one of the issues. As far as radios go..... The RS was actually a cute/nice looking radio but they always had range problems. I loved the little RS 3 channel pictured but had to quit using it for reliability issues. Ken Willard would fly with us occasionally but I never saw him with anything like the plane pictured. The only time I ever got to fly with Le was at the larger contests. He rarely came out to sport fly with us. In later years, I spent more time with him at Hayward airport where he kept his Bellanca in a hangar fairly close to mine. Le Gray was a wonderful man. Full of Enthusiasm AND Wisdom..... He was an Outstanding CD when he ran a contest. I could go on and on but this post is supposed to be about the plane he built above and it's ID..... The best bet on the ID would be to somehow search thru some Model Builders from the first or second year of publications.
Good Luck.... The plane looks great and appears to be in fine shape. That is a RARE find for airplanes from almost 50 years ago...... Geez, are we really that old???
Weav

Thanks Weav!

I just found the article on Le's Yankee Gull - Copy attached to the rest of the pictures - above. Page 9 shows the 'Windancer' logo on the Yankee Gull. Same logo as the Dixie Gull I got. So I guess I'm looking for info on Windancer (a series of gliders with Le's design) and the Model is Dixie Gull ?!!!
Jul 19, 2019, 08:51 PM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp49
I just found a mention of Le Gray on www.thermalrider. He is pictured there with his 'Yankee Gull", AMA Plan 3721, 100" and 144" gliders from 3/72...

Maybe the 'Dixie Gull' is the model name..

Not sure if that helps someone to recognize the glider I got or not.
From the March/April 1972 edition on MB . . .

This is interesting as the plans show a X Tail and the one in the photo posted here is clearly a T tail.
Going to have to go through some back issues of Le's column and see if he mentions a mod . . .
I really need to get out of the shop and get the web site in order, it is basically a wreck . . . ;>(

Joe

aka Thermal Rider

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodies Forever
Jul 21, 2019, 11:56 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Weav,

I believe Lee moved down to the San Fernando Valley area and was president of the SFVSF around 1971, or there abouts. I thought he was higher than Level 3 in the LSF because I had to sit watching as he tried for the long thermal flights as we were on the same frequency. He used to drive a black Porsche, I seem to remember but could be wrong.

Chris
Jul 22, 2019, 11:04 AM
Thread OP
Hi Guys,

Does any of you still have the Model Builder Magazines from the 70's that you can look at and see if there is any mention of the Windancer 'Dixie Gull' by Le Gray. Maybe find the plans as well? I think there is someone out there that has the copies of the Model Builder Mag. on a DVD - not sure who....

Mark
Last edited by gp49; Jul 22, 2019 at 11:10 AM.
Jul 22, 2019, 11:52 AM
I remember the Yankee Gull article. I was thinking Le was inspired by the Peterson Javelin A-4 when he designed his fuselage.
Jul 22, 2019, 03:47 PM
Balsa breaks better
Quote:
Originally Posted by gp49
Hi Guys,

Does any of you still have the Model Builder Magazines from the 70's that you can look at and see if there is any mention of the Windancer 'Dixie Gull' by Le Gray. Maybe find the plans as well? I think there is someone out there that has the copies of the Model Builder Mag. on a DVD - not sure who....

Mark

$75

https://www.digitekbooks.com/compone...vd-collection0

I am looking through my collection but since I am scanning as I go for my web site it will be a while . . .

Joe

aka Thermal Rider

Balsa Breaks Better
Woodies Forever
Jul 22, 2019, 05:11 PM
Le Gray was a founding member Of the SFVSF in Jan or Feb of '70" but was never the President of the SFVSF. After the financial problems of the Mile Square LSF tourney, he moved on.

RIP

JDK

Quick Reply