Jul 19, 2019, 07:00 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

The Psychology of Hate - Why do we hate?

Why do we hate? The reasons are complex, but following are some of the factors that may play a role in helping us understand hate and, hopefully, work toward change.
  • Fear of “The Other”
  • Fear of Ourselves
  • Lack of Self-compassion
  • It fills a void
  • Societal and Cultural Factors
What Can We Do?

Hatred has to be learned, Golden says: “We are all born with the capacity for aggression as well as compassion. Which tendencies we embrace requires mindful choice by individuals, families, communities and our culture in general. The key to overcoming hate is education: at home, in schools, and in the community.”

According to Dutchevici, facing the fear of being vulnerable and utterly human is what allows us to connect, to feel, and ultimately, to love. She suggests creating “cracks in the system.” These cracks can be as simple as connecting to your neighbor, talking with a friend, starting a protest, or even going to therapy and connecting with an ‘Other.’ It is through these acts that one can understand hate and love.”

In other words, compassion towards others is the true context that heals.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...sychology-hate
Jul 19, 2019, 07:15 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
Why do we hate?
I really doubt that the author includes herself.
Jul 19, 2019, 07:27 AM
Official Old Git!
One has to differentiate between extremes - like 'hate' from 'disagree', 'dislike', 'disgust' etc.

Many Americans seem to love simplistic black or white extremes (almost as if stating an extreme somehow makes what they wish to say to be 'more valid').

Most people don't 'hate' - most of life isn't extreme.
Jul 19, 2019, 07:28 AM
I smell lithium now
In general, libs hate because that's all they choose to contribute to society. I assume that's what was meant by 'we'.
Jul 19, 2019, 07:29 AM
I'm Kind of a Big Deal
Apparently Trump is filling a lot of voids.
Jul 19, 2019, 07:32 AM
She seems to have left out the most obvious reason which is hating someone because of something they did to you, others or someone you love.
Jul 19, 2019, 07:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
One has to differentiate between extremes - like 'hate' from 'disagree', 'dislike', 'disgust' etc.

Many Americans seem to love simplistic black or white extremes (almost as if stating an extreme somehow makes what they wish to say to be 'more valid').

That's because we know the hell that lies inbetween..fundamental change to meet the third world at the halfway mark of insanity....no thanks..I do not want to be enlightened....
Jul 19, 2019, 07:39 AM
Liberalism is a big pile of hate with a thick coating of hypocrisy, and supported by ignorance.
Jul 19, 2019, 07:49 AM
Free my speech
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA5BY
Why do we hate? The reasons are complex, but following are some of the factors that may play a role in helping us understand hate and, hopefully, work toward change.
  • Fear of “The Other”
  • Fear of Ourselves
  • Lack of Self-compassion
  • It fills a void
  • Societal and Cultural Factors
What Can We Do?

Hatred has to be learned, Golden says: “We are all born with the capacity for aggression as well as compassion. Which tendencies we embrace requires mindful choice by individuals, families, communities and our culture in general. The key to overcoming hate is education: at home, in schools, and in the community.”

According to Dutchevici, facing the fear of being vulnerable and utterly human is what allows us to connect, to feel, and ultimately, to love. She suggests creating “cracks in the system.” These cracks can be as simple as connecting to your neighbor, talking with a friend, starting a protest, or even going to therapy and connecting with an ‘Other.’ It is through these acts that one can understand hate and love.”

In other words, compassion towards others is the true context that heals.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...sychology-hate
I don't have hate for anything really. Why do you hate? It does say 'WE' in the OP so, I can only gather you are a hater??
Jul 19, 2019, 07:55 AM
Quote:

yeah lots of americans seemed to have taken the binary pill
Jul 19, 2019, 08:28 AM
Seriously?
Lots of people didn't like obama, fundamental change and all. You don't try to fundamentally change something you like. But I didn't see the hate like we have now for Trump or anyone who supports him. Even here, there are many posts showing hate for Trump supporters for nothing other than they support trump. Now the face of the left is four women who seriously hate America.

Hate, it's what's for breakfast.
Jul 19, 2019, 08:47 AM
In the gross plane of existence, the realm of duality, the world of opposites, hate is nothing but a distorted reflection of what is presented to us. Where does it emanate?, where does it end?, ad-infinitum. Deal with it, it is your karma, or, "You reap what you sow". All actions have reactions.
Latest blog entry: My first blog entry
Jul 19, 2019, 08:48 AM
Banned in Britain
I don't hate anyone.

The left seems to hate anyone who pulls them out of their closet and exposes the truth about them.
Jul 19, 2019, 09:04 AM
------
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit
yeah lots of americans seemed to have taken the binary pill
Its so much easier to use extreme wording when lacking sense of measure, kind of a childish trait
Jul 19, 2019, 09:08 AM
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ender-specific

Quick Reply