Aug 04, 2019, 11:45 PM
Just Plane Nutts
The video in post #6 pretty much told me that. Still a rocket compared to a stock Tear Into.

A 2445 on 3S would be about the right size, but not sure if self righting would be lost or not.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2019, 04:28 PM
Just got my sprint jet about 6 days ago. I had a new local HS that just opened it order it for me. I ran it a bit in my pool, and then in a reservoir while camping. It did OK in the reservoir. I also just got the sigl prop boat form amazon for about $30, and that is way faster, but is not a jet boat. Unfortunately the servo started going full lock, just like others reported for the jet jam. I'm waiting for a call back from Horizon hobby, kind of sucks the boat only lasted 6 days with about 10 runs on it. The motor also does get very hot.

update: Just got off with Horizon Hobby, they are going to ship me the replacement. Super painless to work with, just took a minute for him to find the part number for the new servo. Any suggestions on better waterproofing the replacement?
Last edited by db5304; Aug 08, 2019 at 06:12 PM.
Aug 08, 2019, 09:31 PM
5 wires I assume? none that I know of. Rather than use a proper waterproof servo, they use one with the controller on the RX/ESC..only the motor and pot are in the plastic housing. And yet, it seems more prone to fail than a cheap waterproofed servo. When mine gets here, I'll probably tear out everything but the drive and go brushless.
Aug 09, 2019, 02:46 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Quote:
Originally Posted by db5304
Just got my sprint jet about 6 days ago. I had a new local HS that just opened it order it for me. I ran it a bit in my pool, and then in a reservoir while camping. It did OK in the reservoir. I also just got the sigl prop boat form amazon for about $30, and that is way faster, but is not a jet boat. Unfortunately the servo started going full lock, just like others reported for the jet jam. I'm waiting for a call back from Horizon hobby, kind of sucks the boat only lasted 6 days with about 10 runs on it. The motor also does get very hot.

update: Just got off with Horizon Hobby, they are going to ship me the replacement. Super painless to work with, just took a minute for him to find the part number for the new servo. Any suggestions on better waterproofing the replacement?

Open the casing, find the circuit board in the bottom and spray it with CorrosionX. That's how I kept my standard servos from dying after getting wet.

If it is non-standard and has no internal circuitry, then the best you might do is try sealing the casing of the servo in RTV sealant. If that is the case, then around this point I'd be considering swapping the electronics for more standardized radio and speed control hardware.
Aug 10, 2019, 10:35 PM
Electric RC Addict
NEW - Pro Boat Sprintjet 9 boats (2 min 20 sec)

Got to run these today. Ran pretty good but unfortunately the servo in the gray boat locked up and stripped when I tried to move it during post-run maintenance. Seems like a lot of these micro servos are crappy. They seem to either burn up or strip plastic gears.

I however ordered a Jet Jam servo on Ebay since Horizon appears to have them on backorder until next month at the earliest. I'll probably call Horizon on Monday and get my name on the list. That way I'll have a spare if this happens again.

I will say that the drives seem easy to service. I went ahead and greased both after running.
Aug 11, 2019, 04:01 AM
Gotta love them for the fact they’re a jet driven boat. But why the hell did they make them so dam small. With the popularity of the Tear Into you would have thought any company with an ounce of intelligence would have bought into that market. And it’s not the fact that micro servos are crappy. It’s just seems a continuation of the long running saga of Horizon Hobbies manufacturing junk. It pains me to seemingly always read how many people have nothing but trouble with their products. What a disappointment. But soooo not a surprise!!!
Aug 15, 2019, 10:25 AM
So has anyone gone brushless with this thing yet???
Aug 15, 2019, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panhead5496
So has anyone gone brushless with this thing yet???
going to test fit the 2445 that wouldnt self right in my JetJam into this probably this weekend.
Aug 26, 2019, 06:36 PM
I was travelling for work for 2 weeks, but came back to a replacement servo, but also to a boat with the original servo now working again. It is a 5 pin servo. I plan to upgrade eventually when I get more time, hopefully before the pool is closed. The replacement servo looks maybe like a refurb, 2 of the screws are partially stripped on the bottom and rusted. I did take the original apart to see what the issue was or if I could dry it out and it is a non sealed board. I thought about getting a hot glue gun and gluing it.

For the prop shaft I used some white lithium based on another comment somewhere, but that does not seem great. Amazon seems to be giving me mixed results when looking for marine grease, does anyone have an amazon link for specific stuff that they would recommend? I'm not sure my local hardware store would have marine specific grease.
Aug 26, 2019, 07:45 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Just go to your local auto parts store and ask for boat trailer axle grease.... the blue or blue/green stuff. I use it under one brand name or another on all my boats: https://www.amazon.com/Sta-Lube-Mari.../dp/B000KKLLPS
Aug 26, 2019, 09:27 PM
Jetdrives R Us
Here you go. I believe this is what you're looking for.
Aug 28, 2019, 10:34 PM
RC is great fun!
RC Jet Boat - Pro Boat Sprintjet Self Righting RTR - TheRcSaylors (8 min 42 sec)
Aug 31, 2019, 09:50 AM
Which stick makes it go up?
Just discovered this thread, so sorry for the double post.

I've had no luck with lipos other than the one that came with, even though my other batts are the same voltage (higher capacity -- from aircraft). The boat ESC drops down to slow mode even though the bigger lipos have lots of juice left.

Kind of pointless going to the lake for ten minutes run time on one battery.

Have other batteries worked for any of you?
Aug 31, 2019, 10:04 AM
Which stick makes it go up?
And has anyone tried charging the OEM battery with a real charger? Seems to me that if you set it for .65amps 2S it should be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper
Just discovered this thread, so sorry for the double post.

I've had no luck with lipos other than the one that came with, even though my other batts are the same voltage (higher capacity -- from aircraft). The boat ESC drops down to slow mode even though the bigger lipos have lots of juice left.

Kind of pointless going to the lake for ten minutes run time on one battery.

Have other batteries worked for any of you?
Aug 31, 2019, 12:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper
The boat ESC drops down to slow mode even though the bigger lipos have lots of juice left.
In a small jet boat I find that because of voltage sag the ‘low voltage cutoff’ kicks in before the batteries are half used. After a hard run quickly feel for resistance heat in wires, connectors and batteries. If the batteries are the warmest thing in the boat than they are the problem. In a small boat I use batteries that are less than a year old and are 65c or above.

One of the problems I have with small jet boats is I can’t fit enough battery power in the boat without sinking it if I’m running a motor that makes the boat fun.

The small jet boat in this video is very heavy with batteries but runs well. This boat has 3D steering and lots of modifications so don’t expect your boat to run like this:

Getting a feel for 3D boating (5 min 44 sec)

Quick Reply