Jul 18, 2019, 08:28 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

9" Proboat JetSprint

https://www.horizonhobby.com/sprintj...r-p-prb08045t1

Looks like my search for a little hull might be over.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2019, 10:52 PM
I saw this tonight as well. Looks pretty cool.

Guess they saw how well the TearInto sold and wanted to make one similar to it. Wish they had made it slightly larger but the price sure is nice.
Jul 18, 2019, 11:40 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Heh-heh...I wonder if somebody spotted my FT007 jet boat videos... Ya never know.

Looks cool. Still a 390 brushed motor, so a mod to a 2445 inrunner in the 3000KV to 3500KV range might be the next step for it. Avoid outrunners to avoid rolling and handling issues with this little puppy.

Owner's manual says it uses a weighted coupler. The pics show a normal-looking grub screw coupler, so I assume it's heavy steel or plated brass. I can wait to see performance, though I'm expecting it to be very Jet Jam-like. Looks like it has upgrade potential.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Jul 18, 2019 at 11:47 PM.
Jul 19, 2019, 01:35 AM
Have been waiting for a major manufacturer to produce a sprint hull to rival the throw away Tear Into. Really cool but shame itís so small. So...still waiting. 😞
Jul 19, 2019, 08:15 AM
Jetdrives R Us
Silly. They have you removing the stator and pulling the shaft to grease it when you could just drill out the screw hole of the battery holder swing arm and grease it there. I doubt the bore is lined.

Glad they have something to replace the Tear Into, albeit half the size. Looks fun!
Last edited by sundogz; Jul 19, 2019 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added pic
Jul 19, 2019, 10:29 AM
interesting edit at 50 secs, both are upside down hitting the water, then they switch sides and are magically righted again.

Pro Boat Sprintjet 9" Self-Righting Brushed RTR Jet Boat (1 min 32 sec)
Jul 19, 2019, 02:01 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Heh-heh. Anyone take notice that the boats are manned by Munchkins? Drivers/navigators look about 50% the size they should be. Just a little detail I noticed. As small as these boats are, the driver's size make them look like a 28' speedboat. I think I'd swap them for larger-scale rider model myself

For reference, here's the actual scale of a sprint boat versus the size of the people in it. You are pretty much shoulder to shoulder:

Proboat...
https://s7d5.scene7.com/is/image/hor.../PRB08045T2_a7

Real boat...
https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...50&oe=5DB1978B
Jul 19, 2019, 04:15 PM
[QUOTE=AirDOGGe;42333433]Heh-heh. Anyone take notice that the boats are manned by Munchkins? Drivers/navigators look about 50% the size they should be. Just a little detail I noticed. As small as these boats are, the driver's size make them look like a 28' speedboat. I think I'd swap them for larger-scale rider model myself

Exactly my thoughts too. Just like they did with the River Jet...drivers are way too small and make it look like a jet ship. Iíve got some new boys to drop in my current R/J build. Makes a huge difference in scale looks
Jul 19, 2019, 04:34 PM
But, I feel like anybody not familiar with Jet Boat racing would think the drivers were large. lol
Jul 19, 2019, 04:59 PM
Just Plane Nutts
The riverjet is not really a jet sprint. More of a white water river racer.

The new one is closer to a jet sprint, but lacks the big exposed engine in back. It looks like a cross between a sprint and a sport runabout: https://boats-from-usa.com/sites/def...ort-387867.jpg

Still looks like a fun mod. Just wish it were larger than pool size. The smallest of wavelets on the pond give my slightly larger "JT007" a rough ride.
Jul 22, 2019, 10:46 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDOGGe
Heh-heh...I wonder if somebody spotted my FT007 jet boat videos... Ya never know.

Looks cool. Still a 390 brushed motor, so a mod to a 2445 inrunner in the 3000KV to 3500KV range might be the next step for it. Avoid outrunners to avoid rolling and handling issues with this little puppy.

Owner's manual says it uses a weighted coupler. The pics show a normal-looking grub screw coupler, so I assume it's heavy steel or plated brass. I can wait to see performance, though I'm expecting it to be very Jet Jam-like. Looks like it has upgrade potential.
Looks like the same drive as the jetjam, but a smaller hull. Should be a blast if it stays on the water with a brushless upgrade.
Jul 22, 2019, 01:48 PM
definitely a different jet drive. Same motor size, but the parts dont seem to cross-reference. They have the label obscured in the pics
Jul 22, 2019, 09:42 PM
Man I wish they had made this closer to 11-12”. I feel like any brushless upgrades in this is going to be hard to control.
Jul 22, 2019, 10:27 PM
Just Plane Nutts
My FT007 is that size and not tricky to drive. But it gets a bit wild with more than 2S power. If I can ever squeeze an inrunner in there, it might do better. Currently it' s fitted with a 24mm dia. 3500KV outrunner.

https://youtu.be/Fm_ZQcs3NjY?t=0s

Note how the boat rolls hard to starboard at the end of the video. That's just from letting power off on the outrunner, a good demo of the effects of the motor-induced roll forces on the hull. DEFINITELY use a 24mm inrunner if you go brushless.
Last edited by AirDOGGe; Jul 22, 2019 at 10:33 PM.
Aug 04, 2019, 07:46 PM
ok I saw one of these in the wild today. Neat design... but... I wouldnt call it a JetSprint. its more like a JetMosey. Everybody was like ooooooo, ahhhh.. then in the water we were all like "Oh." Now to be fair, we were running other boats, including JetJams (brushed and brushless) but even 9yr old kids got bored with the speed. It wasn't the smoothest water (nor rough) so maybe it would be slightly faster in a pool with no ripples at all.

Its motor is smaller than a JetJam by alot. the battery is a stick lipo, there will be few options there, I dont think there's much room, without modding.

I have one on order.... and I'm already planning a brushless conversion.

Quick Reply